    any more hardware for the 2nd pc? (my confusion is about this USB thing -
    some call it a wireless "card" - I thought a card went into the PCI slot on
    the m/bd).
    Silvabod, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Silvabod

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <3N47f.2711$>, Silvabod says...
    > I'm getting confused - too much info!
    > Have - new XPHome pc w/WLAN ready installed, and cable modem.
    > Have 2nd XP (pro) pc, with only USB1 connectivity
    >
    > Want 2nd pc to have wireless access to the internet - would be nice to have
    > a network, but not essential, prime objective is to have joint internet
    > access.
    >
    > Have ordered - wireless router for cable, w/4 ports. and USB wireless
    > "dongle" (excuse if the terminology is not correct, it's a USB thingy not
    > unlike a memory stick) for 2nd pc (already have one for the first) - await
    > delivery.
    > And, I'm being told that I need an aerial?? What/Where does that connect to?
    >
    > Is this sufficient to get internet connectivity to BOTH pc's, or do I need
    > any more hardware for the 2nd pc? (my confusion is about this USB thing -
    > some call it a wireless "card" - I thought a card went into the PCI slot on
    > the m/bd).

    You would only need a booster aerial if you are using the wireless
    connected PCs any distance from the router.

    Routers come with the aerial supplied, and the USB device acts as its
    own aerial. For use in a normal home or office the router's aerial
    should be sufficient.

    FR
    Flying Rat, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Thanks! Direct (diagonal) distance is about 20 feet, through a ceiling and
    possibly 2 walls (modem and router downstairs back, 2nd pc in front bedroom)
    Can you confirm, the USB thingy is the "wireless card"? i.e don't need more
    hardware for 2nd pc?
    And, what effect, if any, does the USB1 have - will it substantially
    restrict wireless data transmission?

    Silvabod, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Silvabod

    Yomamam Guest

    You should be fine. I set up the same thing for my inlaws. They did
    not need additional hardware. The USB wireless device should come with
    software that will tell you the signal strenght. Based on your
    description you should be
    well within range.

    Good luck.

    Yomamam, Oct 24, 2005