    (streaming mp3 and internet)?

    thanks

    will.

    will, May 4, 2004

  2. will

    EAgle Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hi all,
    >
    > i'm experimenting a home wireless network between a PC, a laptop and a
    > PDA. i don't want to spend too much without testing the range and
    > connectivity first.
    >
    > at the moment i have a hub connecting my PC and laptop.
    >
    > should i get a Wireless AP to connect to the existing hub or get a USB
    > adapter so that i can use it on PC and laptop?
    >
    > also, is 11g worth the money or 11b is enough for usual home use
    > (streaming mp3 and internet)?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    If you want to setup an adhoc wireless network all u need it wireless
    network cards on each of the devices. But the problem here is range, you
    wont get too much range from such a configuration. If you want to setup a
    proper usable wireless connection you would need to get yourself a AP and
    then wireless cards for each device. Regarding 11b or 11g, well I have a 11b
    network at home and its more than enough to stream mp3 internet even some
    video files.

    EAgle, May 4, 2004

  3. will

    Richard Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > i'm experimenting a home wireless network between a PC, a laptop and a
    > PDA. i don't want to spend too much without testing the range and
    > connectivity first.
    >
    > at the moment i have a hub connecting my PC and laptop.
    >
    > should i get a Wireless AP to connect to the existing hub or get a USB
    > adapter so that i can use it on PC and laptop?
    >
    > also, is 11g worth the money or 11b is enough for usual home use
    > (streaming mp3 and internet)?

    I have both B and G, and they both spend most of there time at below 11 megs
    anyway, unless I have only 1 or 2 walls between me and the AP, even at 54 megs
    (a rare occasion) its about 10 megs thruput in reality, so its not fast enough
    to replace teh wired lan, just to browse. As you most likly only have jetstream
    starter or 256, you may as well get the B and save a little.

    Richard, May 7, 2004