    wan, connects to lan via ethernet. But the other wired computers on lan
    cannot see internet. Do I have settings wrong or is my wiring incorrect.
    DHCP is off on both routers, modem to ppoe dynamic addressing.

    Bob Wright, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Bob Wright

    David Hettel Guest

    Lets see if this will work:

    DSL

    Router 1 with IP address 192.168.1.1
    | |
    | Access Point 192.168.1.2 feeding wireless network with 192.168.1.xxx

    Router 2 with IP address 192.168.2.1

    Wired Network using 192.168.2.xxx

    Note that the IP address of the two LANs are different 192.168.1.xxx vs.
    192.168.2.xxx. Also how the two routers are set up is different, only router
    1 would be setup to use PPOE dynamic addressing, router two would not use
    PPOE, just dynamic addressing (it would be setup to use DHCP client mode)
    the WAN port of router two would have an IP address in routers 1
    192.168.1.xxx space.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Bob Wright

    Bob Wright Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply, I probably won't be able to test until
    evening or tomorrow. Couple of quick questions.

    David Hettel wrote:
    > Lets see if this will work:
    >
    > DSL
    > |
    > Router 1 with IP address 192.168.1.1
    > | |
    > | Access Point 192.168.1.2 feeding wireless network with 192.168.1.xxx
    > |
    > Router 2 with IP address 192.168.2.1
    > |
    > Wired Network using 192.168.2.xxx
    >
    > Note that the IP address of the two LANs are different 192.168.1.xxx vs.
    > 192.168.2.xxx. Also how the two routers are set up is different, only
    > router 1 would be setup to use PPOE dynamic addressing

    I have ppoe on the dsl modem so cannot also have it on router 1. Do I
    need to reverse this?

    , router two would not use PPOE, just dynamic addressing (it would be
    setup to use DHCP
    > client mode) the WAN port of router two would have an IP address in
    > routers 1 192.168.1.xxx space.

    Do I need dhcp on router 2, at present it connects on LAN ports to two
    static devices. DHCP options, if needed, are DHCP server and static
    DHCP. Static would be dhcp client? Otherwise I will set static on router
    2 WAN ip 198.168.1.xxx, gateway 192.168.1.1 (address of router 1). Correct?

    Bob Wright, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Hi
    Providing a picture for David's excellent answer.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/shield.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 14, 2006
  5. Bob Wright

    David Hettel Guest

    Jack has an excellent page here; http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    The first router (Jack's Front Router) the closest to the DSL/Modem remains
    the same. You do not change it's internal configuration in any way. The
    second router (Jack's Shield Router) wan port would be set to static so if
    the first (front) router's lan ports are 192.168.1.xxx and it's IP address
    is 192.168.1.1 the second (shield) router's wan port is set to 192.168.1.2
    and a netmask of 255.255.255.0 then DNS server would be 192.168.1.1. The
    second (shield) router's lan ports would be set to 192.168.2.1. Clients
    connected to the second (shield) router would get an IP address in
    192.168.2.xxx space, have a Gateway address of 192.168.2.1 and a DNS server
    of 192.168.2.1 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0 Your access point would be set
    to 192.168.1.3 and connected to the first (front) router. Wireless clients
    connected to the access point would get an IP address in 192.168.1.xxx
    space, a DNS server address of 192.168.1.1 and a gateway address of
    192.168.1.1

    No you don't need DHCP anywhere, I do believe when you are setting something
    like this it's helpful to enable DHCP to check what the settings should be.
    I believe you can use my numbers above and it should work for you, without
    the hassle of enabling DHCP and then disabling it again. Router two will
    have two IP addresses the WAN port will be configured the same as any client
    connected to router 1. Hope that helps.

    David Hettel, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Bob Wright

    Bob Wright Guest

    I will have to go back tomorrow and recheck my settings, it is not
    working right now. Might I need a crossover cable? I will also review
    Jack's page. Being drug off to Christmas shop now.

    Bob Wright, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Bob Wright

    David Hettel Guest

    No, I don't believe it's likely that you would. But most routers have LEDs
    that show when they are connected, it should be simple to tell if you have a
    connection or not. Posting your values here would help, perhaps.

    David Hettel, Dec 15, 2006
  8. Bob Wright

    Bob Wright Guest

    My options in WAN tab of router 2, the LAN router (D-Link DI624)
    IP Address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    ISP Gateway Address 192.168.1.1
    MAC Address
    Primary DNS Address (should I use 192.168.1.1 here?)
    Secondary DNS Address
    MTU

    With Router 1, the internet router (Linksys BEFSR41)
    192.168.1.1

    Still not working. LAN addresses at present 192.168.254.xxx, if that
    makes a difference. Where am I going wrong? Led's both routers show
    connection.

    Bob Wright, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Bob Wright

    David Hettel Guest

    Still not working. LAN addresses at present 192.168.254.xxx, if that
    > makes a difference. Where am I going wrong? Led's both routers show
    > connection.

    Ok I made an assumption about how your network was configured that I
    shouldn't have made. Sorry for that. Can you give me the IP address for the
    LAN ports of your cable/dsl modem, and the BEFSR41 LAN port. I take it that
    the LAN port of the DI624 is set to 192.168.254.1?

    Thanks

    David Hettel, Dec 15, 2006
  10. Bob Wright

    Bob Wright Guest

    OK, think I typoed the gateway and dns setting on my computer, got it
    working finally. I may have a bad wiring connection on my wired network,
    lost everything while switching wires so I will have to work on that part.
    Thanks for all the help
    Bob

    Bob Wright, Dec 15, 2006
  11. Bob Wright

    Bob Wright Guest

    Okay, dummy here. I figured out why I couldn't get second computer on
    line, Zone Alarm. I reset it so second computer is in trusted zone, all
    working now.
    Thanks again for getting me up and running.

    Bob Wright, Dec 16, 2006
  12. Bob Wright

    David Hettel Guest

    Well I'm glad your up and running.