    There no need for my daughter's notebook to be connected to the two
    other computers; she just wants to be able to surf on the Internet and
    get her e-mail.
    Bud Best, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Bud Best wrote:
    > I have two computers connected by utp-cables. Internet (dsl) comes in
    > via a modem/router and a switch connected to that modem. This
    > networks works fine. Sometimes my daughter stays a few days at our
    > home. She has a notebook which she wants to use in several places in
    > the house. Is it possible to leave the network as it is and attach a
    > wireless access point to the switch?
    > And if so, can we expect an internet connection at the very moment we
    > plug in? Or does the computer and/or the access point need to be
    > configured?
    > There no need for my daughter's notebook to be connected to the two
    > other computers; she just wants to be able to surf on the Internet and
    > get her e-mail.

    On mine I set up the access point's gateway, IP and DNS manually. You
    may need to make it automatic if your router is acting as DHCP server.
    Basically you set up the access point just like it is another computer,
    then associate the laptop's wireless device with it. These devices come
    with instructions, not too tough to do.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Bud Best

    Bud Best Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:03:53 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Bud Best wrote:
    >> I have two computers connected by utp-cables. Internet (dsl) comes in
    >> via a modem/router and a switch connected to that modem. This
    >> networks works fine. Sometimes my daughter stays a few days at our
    >> home. She has a notebook which she wants to use in several places in
    >> the house. Is it possible to leave the network as it is and attach a
    >> wireless access point to the switch?
    >> And if so, can we expect an internet connection at the very moment we
    >> plug in? Or does the computer and/or the access point need to be
    >> configured?
    >> There no need for my daughter's notebook to be connected to the two
    >> other computers; she just wants to be able to surf on the Internet and
    >> get her e-mail.

    >On mine I set up the access point's gateway, IP and DNS manually. You
    >may need to make it automatic if your router is acting as DHCP server.
    >Basically you set up the access point just like it is another computer,
    >then associate the laptop's wireless device with it. These devices come
    >with instructions, not too tough to do.

    Okay. That's clear. Somebody told me that I have to connect the access
    point to the switch with a twisted utp-cable. Do yo think that that's
    correct?
    Bud Best, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Bud Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:03:53 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bud Best wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have two computers connected by utp-cables. Internet (dsl) comes in
    >>>via a modem/router and a switch connected to that modem. This
    >>>networks works fine. Sometimes my daughter stays a few days at our
    >>>home. She has a notebook which she wants to use in several places in
    >>>the house. Is it possible to leave the network as it is and attach a
    >>>wireless access point to the switch?
    >>>And if so, can we expect an internet connection at the very moment we
    >>>plug in? Or does the computer and/or the access point need to be
    >>>configured?
    >>>There no need for my daughter's notebook to be connected to the two
    >>>other computers; she just wants to be able to surf on the Internet and
    >>>get her e-mail.

    >>On mine I set up the access point's gateway, IP and DNS manually. You
    >>may need to make it automatic if your router is acting as DHCP server.
    >>Basically you set up the access point just like it is another computer,
    >>then associate the laptop's wireless device with it. These devices come
    >>with instructions, not too tough to do.

    > Okay. That's clear. Somebody told me that I have to connect the access
    > point to the switch with a twisted utp-cable. Do yo think that that's
    > correct?

    I can't answer about your specific AP since I don't know what it is, but
    my AP did need either a crossover cable or equivalant. Since many
    switches auto-sense what type of connector to use, I didn't pay much
    attention to that, it set itself up. Your switch may either have
    auto-sensing or an "uplink" port to plug into. If so, you can use a
    standard UTP cat5 patch cable. If not, get a crossover.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Bud Best

    Bud Best Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:11:13 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Bud Best wrote:

    >>>On mine I set up the access point's gateway, IP and DNS manually. You
    >>>may need to make it automatic if your router is acting as DHCP server.
    >>>Basically you set up the access point just like it is another computer,
    >>>then associate the laptop's wireless device with it. These devices come
    >>>with instructions, not too tough to do.

    >> Okay. That's clear. Somebody told me that I have to connect the access
    >> point to the switch with a twisted utp-cable. Do yo think that that's
    >> correct?

    >I can't answer about your specific AP since I don't know what it is, but
    >my AP did need either a crossover cable or equivalant. Since many
    >switches auto-sense what type of connector to use, I didn't pay much
    >attention to that, it set itself up. Your switch may either have
    >auto-sensing or an "uplink" port to plug into. If so, you can use a
    >standard UTP cat5 patch cable. If not, get a crossover.

    Thank you so far. I think I know enough now. Just being curious: where
    are you from? I'm from the Netherlands. Let me guess: you're a French
    Canadian... Thank you for your help anyway!
    Bud Best, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Bud Best wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:11:13 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bud Best wrote:

    >>>Okay. That's clear. Somebody told me that I have to connect the access
    >>>point to the switch with a twisted utp-cable. Do yo think that that's
    >>>correct?

    >>I can't answer about your specific AP since I don't know what it is, but
    >>my AP did need either a crossover cable or equivalant. Since many
    >>switches auto-sense what type of connector to use, I didn't pay much
    >>attention to that, it set itself up. Your switch may either have
    >>auto-sensing or an "uplink" port to plug into. If so, you can use a
    >>standard UTP cat5 patch cable. If not, get a crossover.

    > Thank you so far. I think I know enough now. Just being curious: where
    > are you from? I'm from the Netherlands. Let me guess: you're a French
    > Canadian... Thank you for your help anyway!

    "I fart in your general direction!" - my favorite French quote, taken
    from Monty Python. No, I'm a USAian. Glad to help.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Bud Best

    Bud Best Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:49:17 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Bud Best wrote:

    >>>I can't answer about your specific AP since I don't know what it is, but
    >>>my AP did need either a crossover cable or equivalant. Since many
    >>>switches auto-sense what type of connector to use, I didn't pay much
    >>>attention to that, it set itself up. Your switch may either have
    >>>auto-sensing or an "uplink" port to plug into. If so, you can use a
    >>>standard UTP cat5 patch cable. If not, get a crossover.

    >> Thank you so far. I think I know enough now. Just being curious: where
    >> are you from? I'm from the Netherlands. Let me guess: you're a French
    >> Canadian... Thank you for your help anyway!
    >>

    >"I fart in your general direction!" - my favorite French quote, taken
    >from Monty Python. No, I'm a USAian. Glad to help.

    Au revoir
    Bud Best, Dec 21, 2004