    I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
    between Wireless-B and
    Wireless-G?

    James Luu, Jan 3, 2005

  2. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "James Luu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
    | between Wireless-B and
    | Wireless-G?

    G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband Internet,
    it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to your
    system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005

  3. James Luu

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "James Luu" <> wrote in message
    > |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what
    > different
    > | between Wireless-B and
    > | Wireless-G?
    > |
    > G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband Internet,
    > it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to your
    > system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.

    Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
    equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able to
    connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam
    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 3, 2005
  4. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dan DiNicolo" <> wrote in message
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "James Luu" <> wrote in message
    | > |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what
    | > different
    | > | between Wireless-B and
    | > | Wireless-G?
    | > |
    | > G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband
    Internet,
    | > it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to
    your
    | > system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.
    | >

    | Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
    | equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able
    | connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam

    Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current "G"
    card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My router
    is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current "G"
    > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My router
    > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.

    I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
    Point.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 3, 2005
  6. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current
    "G"
    | > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My
    router
    | > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.
    |
    | I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
    | Point.

    Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart" thing
    again <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  7. James Luu

    DC Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    >|
    >| > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current
    > "G"
    >| > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My
    > router
    >| > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.
    >|
    >| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
    >| Point.

    > Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart" thing
    > again <g>

    /me lighting a match and cracking open a window

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jan 3, 2005
  8. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    | >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >|
    | > "G"
    | > router
    | >|
    | >| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless
    Access
    | >| Point.
    |
    | > Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart"
    thing
    | > again <g>
    |
    | /me lighting a match and cracking open a window

    "Everyone DUCK! It's gonna blow!!!"

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005