wired / wireless network mixture or not ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ReceT, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. ReceT

    ReceT Guest

    Problem establishing a network between 3 units .

    The set up :

    -ADSL Wireless Modem Router connected ( wired ) to PC 1 via on board
    LAN

    -PC 1 has on board LAN ( SIS based ) - OS , XP home

    -PC2 has wireless network PCI card - OS , XP Pro

    -Laptop has wireless network PCMCIA - OS , 98se

    ( All wireless units are of Belkin 54Mbs / 802.11g )

    Each unit succesfully can connect to internet and at the moment PC2
    and Laptop shows they are in infrastructure mode .

    However i can NOT establish a network and share folders between these
    3 units . It appears to me that may be a bridge to be established
    somewhere in this setup .
    One idea comes to me that if i have another pci wireless card
    attached to the same computer ( PC 1 ) as the modem router maybe a
    full wireless network can be established. Is this the only solution
    or even a correct one ?

    Or maybe a bridge to be established on PC 1 , but i cant see any two
    connections to bridge ..

    What are your views .. Can i achive a succesful network with this
    set up . ? Or does it need additional hardware ?

    Thanks

    ReceT, Jul 10, 2004

  2. ReceT

    Dave Guest

    the router should be all the 'bridge' you need. the first test is to get
    the ip address of each machine and see if they can ping each other. if they
    can then its likely a permissions issue or you don't have the right network
    components installed. also check for firewalls on the individual machines,
    they can prevent sharing also. the best thing is to use a firewall on the
    router and then the internal machines shouldn't need one... makes things so
    much easier.

    Dave, Jul 10, 2004

  3. ReceT

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You need a Wireless Cable/DSL Router. One NIC in each Wired Computer, and
    one Wireless Client in each Wireless computer. Nothing Else is Needed.

    Once every thing is connected you have to configure the Network and the
    sharing.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
    Settings, and Sharing.

    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 11, 2004
  4. ReceT

    ReceT Guest

    Thanks .. As I understand , wired/wireless ,mixed network should be
    straightforward as far as hardware is concerned. My 3 computers
    each have different operating systems , xp home ( adsl modem router
    wired to this ) the others XP pro and win98se have wireless hardware

    The links you have given usefull understanding the principles but
    each of the operating systems have their do,s and donts .. especially
    as stated xp home network is sensitive to any firewall in the system

    i am still fighting with it and / lots of reading now ..

    My recommendation to average user is to stick to one operating system
    in the network and maybe same make of wireless equipment to make the
    things easier ...

    thanks again ....

    ReceT, Jul 12, 2004