Wired/Wireless home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Erich93063, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. Erich93063

    Erich93063 Guest

    I am driving myself crazy over here trying to setup a basic home
    network. Let me tell you what I have and what I am trying to do. I
    have a cable modem for my internet connection and a Netgear WGT624
    wireless router. To complicate things I also have a Vonage box for my
    home telephone service. Before I got the wireless router, I just had
    my cable modem going into the vonage box and then going into my main
    XP pro box and all was well. I then got a Wii for Christmas and
    decided to get the Netgear wireless router so I could get the Wii onto
    the internet to download games etc. So I hooked up the wireless
    router. I have my cable modem going directly into the wireless router
    then from one of the wired ports I have that going into the vonage box
    and then into my main office computer. This is all hardwired. This is
    working fine and I have internet connectivity on both my main XP pro
    machine and then wirelessly to the Wii. And my vonage service works
    fine.

    So this brings me to what I really want to do next. Occasionally, I
    have family members who have computer issues. So I take their box home
    with me to fix them. I currently have a KVM switch setup to bounce
    back and forth between the machines. Since I have the router now, I
    decided to also plug in a network cable from one of the additional
    wired ports on the router to my family members XP Pro machine. This
    worked and did indeed give the box internet connectivity. So now at
    this point, I have my main box connected to the intent fine, my family
    members box connected tho the intenet and the Wii wirelessly connected
    and all is well. BUT, I want to be able to transfer files between the
    two wired XP Pro boxes. I thought since they were both connected to
    the same router it would just happen automatically but that is my
    ignorance as to setting up home networks as I have never done it
    before. So I decided to run the "Setup a home network" wizard on my
    main machine and then I did the same on my family members machine but
    I must be doing something wrong or forgetting a step or something
    because i cannot see one machine from the other.

    Bottom line is that I just want to be able to pass files back and
    forth easily from the two wired xp pro machines. Ultimately, I would
    like to have it to where in the future, anytime someone brings their
    computer over, I can just plug it directly into their computer and
    they will have internet and can share files back and forth.

    HELP??

    (sorry for the long post I just wanted to be thorough)

    THANKS!!

    Erich93063, Jan 14, 2008

  2. Hi
    When you brink the New computer, plug it to you Network, change the
    Workgroup (manually No Wizard) to your Workgroup name, if the computer have
    a static IP change it to Auto obtain an IP from your Router, take a look at
    the computer's Windows/Software Firewall too , make sure that it allows LAN
    traffic suitable for your Network IP range (subnet). (
    <http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted> )
    To exchange files with your computers you have to enable the new computer's
    File Sharing.
    Do not get despaired if some of the changes do not take place immediately,
    sometimes you need to Boot the whole Network few times until all of the
    changes propagates correctly.
    Unfortunately I cannot give you specific instruction for each type of
    setting since it depends on the way a specific computer is configured.
    This page describes a process to check the Network setting it can be useful
    to access the Network for configuration setting as well,
    <http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html>
    As For File Sharing
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2008

  3. Erich93063

    Erich93063 Guest

    On Jan 14, 1:27 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > two wired XP Pro boxes. I thought since they were both connected to
    > > the same router it would just happen automatically but that is my
    > > ignorance as to setting up home networks as I have never done it
    > > before. So I decided to run the "Setup a home network" wizard on my
    > > main machine and then I did the same on my family members machine but
    > > I must be doing something wrong or forgetting a step or something
    > > because i cannot see one machine from the other.

    > > Bottom line is that I just want to be able to pass files back and
    > > forth easily from the two wired xp pro machines. Ultimately, I would
    > > like to have it to where in the future, anytime someone brings their
    > > computer over, I can just plug it directly into their computer and
    > > they will have internet and can share files back and forth.

    > > HELP??

    > > (sorry for the long post I just wanted to be thorough)

    OK So I tracked it down to my Vonage router. When i remove that from
    the equation, I am able to see the shared folders from one computer to
    the other. OS I guess I need to call Vonage to figre out how to
    configure the router to allow traffic through.

    Erich93063, Jan 15, 2008