Wired/Wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Panjandrum, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Panjandrum

    Panjandrum Guest

    We want to make sure that when a user has a Wireless network device in
    his PC/laptop and he connects to the Corporate Fixed Cabled network :
    1. => The fixed network card is being used as default
    2. => The Wireless device is disabled.

    1. To make sure the fixed card is used we have put this card in the
    network advanced settings as fist device to be accessed. However here
    we encounter the problem that when a new network device is added, or
    even plugged in to another slot, this new device seems to become by
    default the first... So we are not sure that once we have set the fixed
    device in the first place it stays the first...

    2. We also want to avoid PC/Laptop of users to become themselves ad-hoc
    access-points, which could mean they possibly become a bridge between
    the official company network and the 'unsecure' wireless network. ( =
    security issue ). Therefor we want to have a possibility to disable all
    wireless devices in the PC/Laptop once the PC/Laptop is connected to
    the fixed network.

    Microsoft seems to have some kind of solution for this by checking the
    assigned domain name. Also this is no solution since we (for reasons of
    applications running and for some other reasons) always put the domain
    extension fixed into the network settings. It is hard for me to believe
    that there are no registry entries of whatever which just could do the
    two above mentioned jobs.

    Any clue?

    Panjandrum, Jun 21, 2005