    of the reg ports on the belkin and share the internet connection also?
    Thanks
    Frank
    Frank, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Yes. All you need to do is plug your Linksys into her Belkin. If you wish
    for her to be able to access your computer, you would turn your Linksys into
    an access point (disable the DHCP Server in it) Note that if you choose to
    keep the DHCP server enable in your Linksys I would set it to a different IP
    address range than the Belkin. So if the Belkin is passing out a
    192.168.0.xxx addresses I'd set the Linksys to use 192.168.1.xxx space.

    --
    David Hettel
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    David,
    Thanks very much. That is great news. 3 floors down(block single family
    home, I'm in the finished basement)If reception is an issue I figure I can
    just buy an expander/booster. The belkin router defaults to 192.168.2.xxx.
    The Linksys wirfeless router defaults to 192.168.1.xxx, so I should be OK as
    is?
    Again Thanks for the quick informative response, not to mention that makes
    my day.
    Frank

    Frank, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Sorry, forgot one other thing, my laptop has wireless capability, but my
    desktop does not. I do not have room for a PCI adapter, what is my best
    choice for external wireless adapter. I have USB2.0 and Firewire
    Thanks Frank

    Frank, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Hmm, Ok I thought your plan was to run a cable from her Belkin to your
    Linksys on your floor. If you're thinking of putting your Linksys on her
    floor, then I think I would just see if I couldn't connect to her Belkin
    from your rooms. I doubt that there will be much difference in the range of
    the Belkin or Linksys.

    Yes the IP address that you have should work find. In that case I would
    connect your Desktop to the Linksys using a normal wired connection. If you
    want a wireless connection then I would use an USB
    wireless connection over firewire. Unless you are running out of USB ports,
    a firewire adapter would most likely cost much more. If your not into
    running cable between floors, some Linksys wireless routers can be put into
    "client" mode, to allow them to connect to another access point. If you can
    pickup the signal from your sisters wireless router in your apartment (on
    your notebook), this is what I would use,
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...497433&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    I believe that Linksys has this ability built into some of their wireless
    routers, look for a client mode in the router setup pages. If it's not in
    the firmware, you may find this in some of the enhanced firmware by others
    for your router.
    --

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > David,
    > Thanks very much. That is great news. 3 floors down(block single family
    > home, I'm in the finished basement)If reception is an issue I figure I can
    > just buy an expander/booster. The belkin router defaults to 192.168.2.xxx.
    > The Linksys wirfeless router defaults to 192.168.1.xxx, so I should be OK
    > as is?
    > Again Thanks for the quick informative response, not to mention that makes
    > my day.
    > Frank
    >

    > "David Hettel MVP MobileDevices" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes. All you need to do is plug your Linksys into her Belkin. If you wish
    >> for her to be able to access your computer, you would turn your Linksys
    >> into an access point (disable the DHCP Server in it) Note that if you
    >> choose to keep the DHCP server enable in your Linksys I would set it to a
    >> different IP address range than the Belkin. So if the Belkin is passing
    >> out a 192.168.0.xxx addresses I'd set the Linksys to use 192.168.1.xxx
    >> space.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David Hettel
    >> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
    >> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
    >> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >> "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >>> My sister and her son have belkin router used to share the cable
    >>> connection ONLY. no network users, etc.
    >>> Question. I am 3 floors down, can I hook my Linksys wireless router to
    >>> one of the reg ports on the belkin and share the internet connection
    >>> also?
    >>> Thanks

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Hi
    Booster might work, or might not; it is a costly expense for the little that
    it is providing. Your are better off with WDS (
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.htm ) or extending a cable for a clear
    spot in the hallway, and connecting your Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
    Environment, thus it is very hard to pinpoint a full proof solution without
    actually being there. Look at these pages they describe most of the options
    that are within the means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits
    your environment best.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html