  1. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    Is there a group to get help with wired networking ??
    c_bcan, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Probably, the most popular are:

    microsoft.public.win2000.networking
    microsoft.public.windows.server.networking
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.networking_web

    There is no clear boundary between wireless vs. wired on the above; and you
    will find many posts that involve networking issues on wireless networks.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 29, 2005

  3. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    Ok Thanks

    My problem is this, I have two PC`s networked using network cards, the main
    PC running XP, the second running ME. The PC`s say they are connected,
    however if you click on my network places you only see the pc your using.

    I've tried using network setup wizard with no luck.

    On the main PC I have the IP 169.254.186 on the second PC I have
    169.254.92.187

    Any Ideas?

    Thanks

    c_bcan, Jul 29, 2005
  4. One of the common problems with mixed XP and Win9x/ME networks is that Win9x
    machines are notorious for refusing to accept defeat in browser elections.
    So, try:

    On the XP machine, open a command prompt and type:

    net stop browser <ENTER>

    Reboot the ME machine and wait 12 minutes - try My Network Places.

    If this lets you see both machines, please advise and I'll tell you how to
    make the result permanent.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 29, 2005
  5. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    Ok tried that, but it didn't make any difference.

    c_bcan, Jul 30, 2005
  6. c_bcan

    GTS Guest

    If you are directly connecting the network cards on the 2 machines you need
    to use a crossover cable.

    GTS, Jul 30, 2005
  7. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    Yes I have got that used this cable to connect two pc`s before, god knows
    how I got it to work though.

    c_bcan, Jul 31, 2005
  8. c_bcan

    GTS Guest

    Can you ping each machine from the other? If so, open a command prompt and
    run start \\netname of the other computer. If it does not open view of the
    other computer's shares, what error code is displayed? You might also post
    ipconfig output from each machine.

    GTS, Jul 31, 2005
  9. Have you installed File and Printer Sharing on the ME system, and enabled it
    on your XP workstation?

    I also would advise you put in Static IP Addresses (say in the range of
    192.168.1.x), instead of letting the systems use the APIPA address
    (169.254.x.x).

    And if you are using My Network Places, you need to make sure the Computer
    Browser service is running, although you don't necessarily need it to network
    systems together, but you do need it if you intend to use My Network Places
    to browse the network. (You can just use the Run Line to access computer
    shares)

    Wmp
    MS-MVP Networking

    =?Utf-8?B?RmF0YWxfRXhjZXB0aW9u?=, Jul 31, 2005