    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Barry OGrady

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:10:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

    >I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
    >I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?
    >Is it just one wireless desktop card and one wireless notebook card, so
    >that I have two network cards in one desktop computer?

    Some thing I want to do myself as well, without replacing my existing
    router/switch.

    If you have a spare switch port then you can (simply, so I understand)
    buy a WAP - wireless access point and plug it into the switch. Then the
    wireless NIC for the notebook.

    You could of course do as you suggest, put a 2nd NIC, wireless into a PC
    but then you have to route through that PC and it would have to be on
    all the time as well.

    Usual places to look
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.helmig.com/
    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Barry OGrady

    Mangusta Guest

    Belkin have a great little WNAP (Wireless Network Access Point) very easy to
    work with, and it looks great hung on the wall!

    I have one hooked up to my Billion 4 port router, and the DSL.... Works a
    charm, and has good range

    Cheers
    Paul

    Mangusta, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Barry OGrady

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:14:10 +0800, Mangusta wrote:

    >Belkin have a great little WNAP (Wireless Network Access Point) very easy to
    >work with, and it looks great hung on the wall!
    >
    >I have one hooked up to my Billion 4 port router, and the DSL.... Works a
    >charm, and has good range

    Thanks.

    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:10:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
    >> >I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?

    <snip>

    why?, Sep 19, 2003