    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 13, 2010

  2. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you mean BEFSR41 or BEFVP41 or something like that? You have a Docsis 3.0
    cable modem and an ancient router. You should purchase a new GigE router to go
    with that nice new modem.

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:26:01 -0700, Joe <> wrote:

    >My router is a BEFAP41 4 port
    >wired router and the cable modem is a new Cisco DCP3000.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Barb Bowman, May 13, 2010

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Sorry Barb, fat fingers. I have a BEFSR41 router. The modem is from Comcast
    and I pay $5.00 a month for it. If it is worth it, I would like to buy on and
    deleat the monthly payment.
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 13, 2010
  4. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    buy a new router. the modem is good. keep on leasing it. that router is jurassic
    period in computer years.

    Barb Bowman, May 14, 2010
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you Barb,
    Can you recamend a wired router or do I need to change over to a wireless
    router.
    If I should change to a wireless, then I might as well go for an all in one
    unit.
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 14, 2010
  6. Joe

    John Guest

    Hold that thought for a sec. Have you tried updating the firmware to the
    latest version? It might help you with the speed problem. You can save some
    money too.

    Here's where you can find the firmware:
    http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41/download

    John, May 14, 2010
  7. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you almost can't buy a consumer router that does not have wireless...

    I'm going to make it easy and cheap for you. I don't know what speed tier you
    bought into from Comcast, but.. go to
    https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter and check out the $9.95 deal.

    Just be sure to set up security on the wireless or turn the wireless off if you
    are not using it.

    If you want to buy a wireless router after reading this, please post another
    reply ;-)

    Barb Bowman, May 14, 2010
  8. Joe

    John Guest

    Ooopss... someone mentioned it here:
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/W...ng-down-internet-connection/m-p/272901#M24484

    that your router's WAN (or internet) port is a 10BaseT. If that is correct,
    it's no doubt your speed test result is always under 10Mbps.

    John, May 14, 2010
  9. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, May 14, 2010
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Barb, I assume that if I go wireless I will have to also purchase a wireless
    interface for my wife's computer since it is older and my HP 6P Laserjet is
    also on the network. My Laptop is the only one in the group that could use
    wireless. That all being said and reading John's input, I guess I am ready to
    "upgrade" to the 21st century :) I did read the info about comcast but I
    would prefer to use my "own" stuff.
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 14, 2010
  11. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    your wife can still be hardwired to the router. they are called wireless
    routers, but they all have wired connections as well.

    Two I recommend off the top of my head are DLink DIR-655 and Netgear WNR3500v2

    Just be sure you get something that is on the W7 compat list at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...egory=Networking&subcategory=Wireless Routers

    get an N router, gigE.

    Barb Bowman, May 14, 2010
  12. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you Barb, I think I will have to do some shopping this weekend at Fry's
    or Bestbuy. :)
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 14, 2010
  13. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Barb & John,
    Thank you both for your assistance. Barb, your telling me that I had an
    ancient router woke me up. I went to Fry's and purchased a Netgear WNR3500L
    RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit OpenSource Router. I just ran the speed test
    again and they are averaging 20 Mbps. I be a happy camper now.
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe

    Joe, May 16, 2010
  14. Joe

    Barb Bowman Guest

    glad things are better. be sure to secure the wireless (or disable it if you are
    not using it).

    Barb Bowman, May 17, 2010
  15. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I did disable the wireless portion for now. If I ever decide to go wireless,
    then I should be all set. Thanks again.
    --
    Thank you for your help,
    Joe