    pritty limited coverage area.

    For as low as $65 a month you can get 128Kbps, $99 256Kbps, 512Kbps @ $110
    per month all flat rate!

    karl, Jul 16, 2003

  2. karl

    Mark. Guest

    Still too expensive.

    Mark., Jul 16, 2003

  3. karl

    m00se Guest

    Mark. wrote:
    > Still too expensive.

    Far cheaper than what the ISP will be paying for their bandwidth... but
    still too expensive?

    Next time take the red pill, your perspective might be more reality based.

    m00se, Jul 17, 2003
  4. karl

    tim Guest

    move to asia.. haha

    Just came back from Seoul, Korea.
    My 2mbit connection cost me $30NZ a month, no caps, no connection fees,
    first two months were free. hehe

    sigh, I miss using bittorrent...

    tim
    tjv.info

    tim, Jul 17, 2003
  5. karl

    Jay Guest

    karl wrote:

    > Has any one signed up for this service?
    > http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz
    >
    > I am signing up with ICONZ today for the wireless option.
    > http://www.iconz.co.nz/wired-country/
    >
    > 512Kbps/2Mbps $160.00 per month flat rate unlimited data.

    That is very expensive.

    Anyhow I doubt that the "unlimited data" will last for long. Either you
    will get a cap or become rate-limited (by other users or ISP).

    If you look at the plans you will see that they charge a whopping $777
    for a mere 10GB of data.

    Given that you can get full-speed 10GB in Australia or under $A100 why is NZ
    so exhorbitently expensive? No competition and no competition
    regulator might have something to do with it.

    A high level of political incompetence in Wellington might have a
    lot to do with it also.

    Jay, Jul 17, 2003
  6. karl

    Rob Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:04:39 +1200, m00se <>
    wrote:

    >Mark. wrote:
    >> Still too expensive.
    >>

    >Far cheaper than what the ISP will be paying for their bandwidth... but
    >still too expensive?
    >

    >Next time take the red pill, your perspective might be more reality based.
    >

    >> In article <bf4iip$ece$>, "karl" <>
    >> |
    >> |For as low as $65 a month you can get 128Kbps, $99 256Kbps, 512Kbps @ $110
    >> |per month all flat rate!

    Would be good if were transmitting video or music files as part of a
    job, which would more than cover the huge prices.

    Rob, Jul 17, 2003
  7. karl

    T.N.O. Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > If you look at the plans you will see that they charge a whopping $777
    > for a mere 10GB of data.
    >
    > Given that you can get full-speed 10GB in Australia or under $A100 why is NZ
    > so exhorbitently expensive? No competition and no competition
    > regulator might have something to do with it.

    Who's the provider?
    and what is "full speed"... full speed what? I mean I have full speed
    for $20 a month... it's dial up, but it is full speed. clarify more.

    T.N.O., Jul 17, 2003
  8. karl

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> If you look at the plans you will see that they charge a whopping $777
    >> for a mere 10GB of data.
    >>
    >> Given that you can get full-speed 10GB in Australia or under $A100 why is
    >> NZ
    >> so exhorbitently expensive? No competition and no competition
    >> regulator might have something to do with it.

    > Who's the provider?
    > and what is "full speed"... full speed what? I mean I have full speed
    > for $20 a month... it's dial up, but it is full speed. clarify more.

    Aardvark.
    http://www.aardvark.net.au/adsl/home_adsl.php

    Full speed is 512k. Well, it isn't the fastest but unlike NZs miserably
    mean 128k it is broadband.

    And I did lie - it is 65GB/month not 10GB.

    But if you want a choice check this out:

    http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au/plan.cfm?pre=10000&speed=512&cost=100&loc=2&ip=1&sort=2

    Jay, Jul 17, 2003
  9. karl

    T.N.O. Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >>Who's the provider?
    >>and what is "full speed"... full speed what? I mean I have full speed
    >>for $20 a month... it's dial up, but it is full speed. clarify more.

    > http://www.aardvark.net.au/adsl/home_adsl.php
    > Full speed is 512k. Well, it isn't the fastest but unlike NZs miserably
    > mean 128k it is broadband.
    > And I did lie - it is 65GB/month not 10GB.

    I think I can safely say watch this space... not for a couple of months,
    but still.

    T.N.O., Jul 17, 2003
  10. karl

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> T.N.O. wrote:
    >>>Who's the provider?
    >>>and what is "full speed"... full speed what? I mean I have full speed
    >>>for $20 a month... it's dial up, but it is full speed. clarify more.

    >> http://www.aardvark.net.au/adsl/home_adsl.php
    >> Full speed is 512k. Well, it isn't the fastest but unlike NZs miserably
    >> mean 128k it is broadband.
    >> And I did lie - it is 65GB/month not 10GB.

    > I think I can safely say watch this space... not for a couple of months,
    > but still.

    Why? Are your referring to Telecom's new plans to be released
    "this winter"? They will only be introducing new JetStream products
    of 300MB for $35 and 2GB for $190.

    Jay, Jul 17, 2003
  11. karl

    T.N.O. Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >

    >>Jay wrote:

    >>>http://www.aardvark.net.au/adsl/home_adsl.php
    >>>Full speed is 512k. Well, it isn't the fastest but unlike NZs miserably
    >>>mean 128k it is broadband.
    >>>And I did lie - it is 65GB/month not 10GB.

    >>I think I can safely say watch this space... not for a couple of months,
    >>but still.

    > Why? Are your referring to Telecom's new plans to be released
    > "this winter"? They will only be introducing new JetStream products
    > of 300MB for $35 and 2GB for $190.

    I have heard differently, we'll have to wait and see I guess.
    I have heard that there are also two new home plans, and a re-jig of
    pricing for ISPs, but I was only told rough details, and sworn not to
    give them out.

    Give it a couple of months, should be all we need.

    T.N.O., Jul 17, 2003
  12. karl

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    >> Why? Are your referring to Telecom's new plans to be released
    >> "this winter"? They will only be introducing new JetStream products
    >> of 300MB for $35 and 2GB for $190.
    >>

    > I have heard differently, we'll have to wait and see I guess.
    > I have heard that there are also two new home plans, and a re-jig of
    > pricing for ISPs, but I was only told rough details, and sworn not to
    > give them out.
    >
    > Give it a couple of months, should be all we need.

    That was the home plans I was talking about.
    They will still screw $888 out of their miserable 10GB plans.

    Anyhow that must mean that either some Telecom employee has broken their
    contract and told you something or you are a Telecom employee.

    So tell me. Why would Telecom reduce their wholesale price?
    Is the govt forcing them to like they did in Australia (however in
    Australia the govt still owns 51% of Telstra, so the force was easier).

    Jay, Jul 17, 2003
  13. karl

    m00se Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > That was the home plans I was talking about.
    > They will still screw $888 out of their miserable 10GB plans.
    >
    > Anyhow that must mean that either some Telecom employee has broken their
    > contract and told you something or you are a Telecom employee.
    >
    > So tell me. Why would Telecom reduce their wholesale price?
    > Is the govt forcing them to like they did in Australia (however in
    > Australia the govt still owns 51% of Telstra, so the force was easier).

    Or perhaps people (instead of crying on here, Booohooo Telecoms too
    expensive) have started getting up and complaining with their feet.

    m00se, Jul 17, 2003
  14. karl

    T.N.O. Guest

    "karl" wrote
    > Has any one signed up for this service?
    > http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz

    Anyone else find it to be an odd name for a place that does wireless?

    T.N.O., Jul 18, 2003
  15. karl

    karl Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    > Anyone else find it to be an odd name for a place that does wireless?

    haha LOL. yeh they auctually set up a HUGE fiber link in the country for the
    busines's and the wireless network is just to extend this broadband service
    further ;) mostly to home users i think. hence the 'wired'.

    karl, Jul 18, 2003
  16. karl

    T.N.O. Guest

    karl wrote:
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Anyone else find it to be an odd name for a place that does wireless?

    > haha LOL. yeh they auctually set up a HUGE fiber link in the country for the
    > busines's and the wireless network is just to extend this broadband service
    > further ;) mostly to home users i think. hence the 'wired'.

    Is Fibre a "wire" I would have thought Cabled country would be a better
    name, or wireless country, but wired... I guess thats why I dont like
    marketing, Im too smart :)

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  17. karl

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "karl" <> wrote in message

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Anyone else find it to be an odd name for a place that does wireless?

    > haha LOL. yeh they auctually set up a HUGE fiber link in the country for

    the
    > busines's and the wireless network is just to extend this broadband

    service
    > further ;) mostly to home users i think. hence the 'wired'.

    The 'huge fibre link' isn't in the country, it covers around 5 or 6 streets.
    I'm in Pukekohe township and it's nowhere near me. :-(
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 20, 2003