Wired Country package.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Simpson, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:54:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and thought I
    >may get broadband at a reasonable price.
    >
    >Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an email a
    >few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.
    >
    >I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and got a
    >PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249 original
    >equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    >10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought I,
    >I'll think about it for a while.

    Sounds more expensive than Jetstream Starter. Can you get ADSL in
    your area?

    IHUG's Jetstream Starter package has a 10GB cap and offers 128Kbps.
    You'll need a $250 DSL modem and there's a $90 setup fee I think but
    then it's less than $80 a month.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Bruce Simpson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and thought I
    may get broadband at a reasonable price.

    Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an email a
    few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.

    I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and got a
    PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249 original
    equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought I,
    I'll think about it for a while.

    Today a tech showed up un-announced to climb on my roof and test if I had
    line-of-sight to the mast. As it turned out he had testing-equipment
    equipment failure and is coming back tomorrow. This is a no-obligation test
    to see if I can get the service.

    A couple of questions:

    How do people think this package compares with other options price-wise?

    Do you think they're desperate to sign up customers? Seems strange that,
    after a simple enquiry they send out a tech within 48 hours.

    I like the idea of not having to pay Telescum extra money for one of their
    products but a 1Gb cap? Seems a bit low to me. I don't do a shit-load of
    downloading but my machines are pretty-much connected 18 hours a day as it
    is on dail-up, how likely am I to go over the cap? (I know, hard to say but
    please take a guess.)

    I can't really afford this anyway being a broke WINZ-dependant invalid and
    was merely asking out of curiosity.

    Any comments welcome.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Bruce Simpson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:54:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and thought

    > >may get broadband at a reasonable price.
    > >
    > >Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an

    email a
    > >few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.
    > >
    > >I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and got

    > >PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249 original
    > >equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    > >10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought I,
    > >I'll think about it for a while.

    > Sounds more expensive than Jetstream Starter. Can you get ADSL in
    > your area?

    I'm not sure, as I said, I'm a bit broke and was only making enquiries at
    this point.

    > IHUG's Jetstream Starter package has a 10GB cap and offers 128Kbps.
    > You'll need a $250 DSL modem and there's a $90 setup fee I think but
    > then it's less than $80 a month.

    Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Bruce Simpson

    Mark Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and thought I
    > may get broadband at a reasonable price.
    >
    > Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an email a
    > few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.
    >
    > I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and got a
    > PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249 original
    > equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    > 10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought I,
    > I'll think about it for a while.

    New residential plan from Ihug is $49.95 per month. 128kbps 1000mb data,
    $99 install.

    Mark, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Bruce Simpson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and thought

    > > may get broadband at a reasonable price.
    > >
    > > Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an

    email a
    > > few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.
    > >
    > > I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and got

    > > PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249

    original
    > > equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    > > 10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought I,
    > > I'll think about it for a while.

    > New residential plan from Ihug is $49.95 per month. 128kbps 1000mb data,
    > $99 install.

    Yeah? Where do I find confirmation of that? (Not that I doubt you) The
    email I got a few days ago didn't give that option.

    We are still talking about Wired Country aren't we?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Bruce Simpson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > > I registered early for this initiative since I'm in Pukekohe and

    thought
    > > > may get broadband at a reasonable price.
    > > >
    > > > Ihug are distributing a package, amongst others, and they sent me an

    > email a
    > > > few days ago asking if I was interested in a wireless connection.
    > > >
    > > > I emailed back and asked for further info, like pricing and such and

    got
    > > > PDF document back. Their cheapest plan is: $99 install fee, $249

    > original
    > > > equipment charge, 128kb both ways, $80 per month with a 1GB/month cap,
    > > > 10cents a MB over that. "All you need is a PC with a NIC" Ok, thought

    I,
    > > > I'll think about it for a while.

    > > New residential plan from Ihug is $49.95 per month. 128kbps 1000mb data,
    > > $99 install.

    > Yeah? Where do I find confirmation of that? (Not that I doubt you) The
    > email I got a few days ago didn't give that option.
    >
    > We are still talking about Wired Country aren't we?

    S'okay, I've found it. Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2003
  7. Bruce Simpson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message

    data,

    > >>Yeah? Where do I find confirmation of that? (Not that I doubt you) The
    > >>email I got a few days ago didn't give that option.
    > >>
    > >>We are still talking about Wired Country aren't we?

    > > S'okay, I've found it. Thanks.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > :)
    >
    > Also
    > 256kb plan $79.95pm
    > 512kb plan $99.95pm

    Both with the 1gig cap I see. Not much good to me really.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2003