    256/128 for the past few days, it looks like I'm stuck with them for a
    while longer.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 7, 2005

  2. The Other Guy

    SteveM Guest

    The Other Guy <> wrote in
    news:42a47175$:

    > I've just been informed the prices have gone up, caps have come down (on
    > business connections at least), and upload speed is now limited to
    > 256kbs^-1. All this as I find out I am finally within the coverage area
    > after years of waiting. At least I found out before signing up.
    >
    > As much as I hate the crap performance I have had out of Orcon UBS
    > 256/128 for the past few days, it looks like I'm stuck with them for a
    > while longer.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Where did you hear that??

    I have, and Ihug still offer, residential 1 and 2 Meg symmetrical Wireless
    plans. Can't comment on Business plans....

    No change in price, still $64.95, but when I first got the account it was
    unlimited National traffic and 5 Gig International.

    After the service got abused by P2P people (myself included) they changed
    the 1 meg plan to 15 Gig per month for all traffic (which I actually find
    better), then throttled to 64K. I download a fair amount but have not been
    limited since they changed the plan structure.

    Performance is better than any other service I have ever had (I'm off the
    sky tower)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jun 7, 2005

  3. SteveM wrote:
    > Where did you hear that??

    This came from the ISP I was enquiring about accessing Wired Country
    through. They were still unsure of the exact details, but apparently the
    changes were announced over the weekend. I'd expect to hear more about
    it over the next few days. Hopefully these are just offering additional
    options. At http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz and you'll find they are now
    offering their own Internet packages, and all their plans are limited to
    256k upstream.

    > After the service got abused by P2P people (myself included) they changed
    > the 1 meg plan to 15 Gig per month for all traffic (which I actually find
    > better), then throttled to 64K. I download a fair amount but have not been
    > limited since they changed the plan structure.

    All wireless plans had limits placed on them (Fibre connections did
    not). The limit used to be 50GB for the business 2Mbs^-1 plan, but it
    looks like that may be down to only 20GB now, cost more, and on top of
    that be rate limited upstream to only 256kbs^-1.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 7, 2005
  4. The Other Guy

    SteveM Guest

    The Other Guy <> wrote in

    > SteveM wrote:
    >> Where did you hear that??

    > This came from the ISP I was enquiring about accessing Wired Country
    > through. They were still unsure of the exact details, but apparently
    > the changes were announced over the weekend. I'd expect to hear more
    > about it over the next few days. Hopefully these are just offering
    > additional options. At http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz and you'll find
    > they are now offering their own Internet packages, and all their plans
    > are limited to 256k upstream.
    >
    >> After the service got abused by P2P people (myself included) they
    >> changed the 1 meg plan to 15 Gig per month for all traffic (which I
    >> actually find better), then throttled to 64K. I download a fair
    >> amount but have not been limited since they changed the plan
    >> structure.

    > All wireless plans had limits placed on them (Fibre connections did
    > not). The limit used to be 50GB for the business 2Mbs^-1 plan, but it
    > looks like that may be down to only 20GB now, cost more, and on top of
    > that be rate limited upstream to only 256kbs^-1.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    I had a look at the WiredCountry "Direct" Packages and I can only ask..Why?

    The Ihug residential plans are much cheaper with higher caps and are
    symmetrical eg 1 Meg up 1 Meg down.

    I see Iconz have removed pricing for all their plans saying they are
    currently being adjusted. I hope this is not going to affect Ihug!

    Worldnet are currently advertising good business plans:

    Business In / Out Usage Cap Monthly Fee Setup
    MegaPass 2M 2 Mbps / 1Mbps 50 GB $199 $149
    MegaPass 1M 1 Mbps / 1Mbps 25 GB $149 $149
    MegaPass 256K 256Kbps / 256Kbps 15 GB $99 $149

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jun 7, 2005
  5. SteveM wrote:
    > I had a look at the WiredCountry "Direct" Packages and I can only ask..Why?

    Their "Direct" services are insanely expensive, I can't see any reason
    why they would want to be in the ISP market at all. Any users they did
    get would be very profitable, supporting them might be the costly part.

    I have confirmed with Wired Country that the 1Mb/1Mb plans _will_ still
    be available, although these may be 'custom' installs.

    ICONZ has not finalised their new pricing, but apparently there will now
    be more options available. So long as the prices don't go up, the speed
    and caps don't go down, I'll be signing up with them unless anyone has a
    better suggestions.

    Static IP is essential, so that will probably be the deciding factor.
    World-Net doesn't charge for this, ICONZ charges a reasonable $5, IHUG
    is delusional thinking they can justify $20 per month for this.

    FWIW, I have the option of a /29 subnet (6 usable addresses) for FREE
    with my DIALUP account in the US!

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 8, 2005
  6. In article <42a5ba81$>,
    The Other Guy <> wrote:

    >FWIW, I have the option of a /29 subnet (6 usable addresses) for FREE
    >with my DIALUP account in the US!

    Could be that they have more addresses to spare in the US.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Could be that they have more addresses to spare in the US.

    Supporting permanent connections requires one IP address available per
    user. How can they justify charging $20+GST for a single static IP
    address when they have to have sufficient IP addresses for all their users?

    If having a static IP really is such an expense, clearly World-Net must
    be losing on their wireless connections where this is free... they
    charge $20 if you want this on one of their DSL connections!

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 8, 2005
  8. The Other Guy

    Peter Guest

    Expect Worldnet and others to change their prices too. The old Wired Country
    prices have been withdrawn.

    Peter.

    Peter, Jun 11, 2005
  9. SteveM wrote:
    > Where did you hear that??
    >
    > I have, and Ihug still offer, residential 1 and 2 Meg symmetrical Wireless
    > plans. Can't comment on Business plans....
    >
    > No change in price, still $64.95, but when I first got the account it was
    > unlimited National traffic and 5 Gig International.

    Looks like users on the old plans get to keep them (for now!), but new
    plans are now VERY expensive, or offer much less than before (I.e. only
    256kbs^-1 upstream, and lower caps). Apparently IHUG now think Wired
    Country isn't worth offering anymore. According to
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/...

    Important Notice

    As of 13 June 2005, ihug is no longer selling Wired Country services for
    residential customers.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 13, 2005
  10. The Other Guy

    Richard Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > Looks like users on the old plans get to keep them (for now!), but new
    > plans are now VERY expensive, or offer much less than before (I.e. only
    > 256kbs^-1 upstream, and lower caps). Apparently IHUG now think Wired
    > Country isn't worth offering anymore. According to
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/...

    2 reasons spring to mind.

    Firstly, there is most likly an ISP providing service for the WC direct service.
    If it was ihug (anyone know?) then they may want to drop there own service.

    Secondly, if you look at the telstraclear homeline plan, they cant provide it
    where telstraclear has cables. Thats part of the wholesale deal with telecom.
    Whats the bet that ihug want to wholesale the PSTN service, but cant since they
    have a service available to auckland. Can the connect service and wholesale
    telecom dialtone only would be another posibility.

    Richard, Jun 13, 2005