Wired and Wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stuart, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Hello,

    At the moment I have an ADSL Ethernet 4 port Router.

    I use this to connect two PC's to the internet and to each other. It is
    a little network with the same workgroup so I can share files and games
    and use the internet.

    I have two PC's in other rooms.
    Can I get a Wireless access point device and plug it in to one of the
    spare ports on the ADSL router ?

    I have two Wireless NIC's for the other PC's . Will this enable me to
    make a network of all four PC'S ? Or will the wireless ones be on a
    separate network ? Will the internet go from one port of the ADSL router
    to the Wireless Access point and onto the other PC's ?

    I dont want to replace the ADSL router because I am of the belief (
    maybe mistakenly ) the the wired connection is faster than 54Mps Wireless.

    Am I looking at the wrong solution ?

    Oh, it is a Microsoft operating system.

    Thanks

    Stuart

    Melbourne , Australia

    Stuart, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Stuart

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Yes you can plug an Access Point to a regular port on the Router and connect Wirelessly.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 6, 2005