    Or, if both are enabled at the same time, which one does my laptop use?
    Obviously my wired connection is faster, so I would want it to be the default.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Y3VybHkxMDE=?=, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Microsoft's Cable Guy has written a nice summary of this. You can find it
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0405.mspx#EME

    Basically, most traffic will go over the preferred connection. If you have
    a second computer that is also on the same wireless network, then you will
    connect to it through the wireless connection instead of going over the
    internet and around back through your wired connection.

    You can view which route your computer takes using the route command. Open
    a command prompt and type "route print *" You will see a list of all the
    routes your computer currently knows.

    At the top of the list, you'll see two routes with a destination of
    0.0.0.0 - these are your default routes for your wired and wireless
    interfaces. The far right column shows the "metric" for each. The lower
    the number, the more preferred the route. If a route is not listed, then
    your computer will use the most preferred default route.

    If you don't know which one is your wireless and which is your wired IP
    address, just use the command "ipconfig" to view them.

    I hope this helps!

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 20, 2006

  3. Sorry, I see that I didn't answer your first question. You would want to
    enable both the wired and wireless adapters. The computer should pick the
    best connection to use. The only time this might be a problem is if the
    slower connection has the same or lower value for the default route metric.
    This should not happen as long as metrics are assigned automatically.

    More information about automatic metrics can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299540

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y3VybHkxMDE=?=

    Mike G Guest

    My Toshiba laptop has an option to check that will switch to wireless
    anytime the wired connection is not connected!

    Mike G, Jul 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Y3VybHkxMDE=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi