    trying to make this as seamless as possible for her, and I don't want her to
    have to reboot when she changes rooms.

    Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

    Bill, Feb 22, 2005

  2. In article <>, "Bill"
    <> wrote:
    >Is there any way to have both a wireless connection and a wired connection
    >active at the same time, with priority given to the wired connection?
    >
    >What I'm trying to do is this - my wife uses her laptop at three different
    >places in the house. Two of them have ethernet ports in the wall, while the
    >third does not. When she's using the computer at one of the two wired
    >locations, I'd like the computer to recognize that the wire is present and
    >use that as the connection to my home network for the increased speed.
    >However, when she's at the third location (where there is no hardware port)
    >I'd like to have the wireless active. I've tried just leaving them both
    >enabled, but the wireless always seems to have priority - in other words
    >even after I plug in the cable I'm still only getting the wireless speeds on
    >my connection. I know I could do this with hardware profiles in XP, but I'm
    >trying to make this as seamless as possible for her, and I don't want her to
    >have to reboot when she changes rooms.
    >
    >Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

    Assign a metric value to each network connection, giving a lower value
    to the wired one and a higher value to the wireless one.

    To assign a metric to a network connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right click the desired connection.
    3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Properties | Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Feb 22, 2005

  3. Bill

    Terri68

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Need to set up and configure 3 (desktop)hardwired and 3(laptop) wireless computers

    I have 3 hardwired PC's and one laptop I wish to use wireless ( more to come...child's school computer is wireless and other child's laptop will be upgraded to have wireless access).

    My problem is this: I have the hardwire set up. my new wireless router, I cannot configure or set up on my new laptop.

    Suggestions. Is this possible to have modem connected to wired router and wireless router connected to wired router to make this work? or do I have all backwords.

    signed,
    i thought i was a geek. Maybe I need more wine!!

    Terri68, Aug 16, 2007