Wired and wireless internet together?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ryco, May 11, 2009.

  1. ryco

    ryco Guest

    Background: I have Cable broadband, through a cable modem connected via USB
    to my desktop PC. This PC is NOT wireless enabled and I have no requirement
    to make it so. A label on the modem says I should use the ethernet cable "if
    your Computer supports it" but that never worked for me so I stuck with USB
    and that all seemed to be OK. PC is about 4 years old I think. Dell
    Dimension C521.

    Now: I have bought a wireless enabled laptop, so I got a wireless router
    from my ISP. This is not a combined modem/router; it's a separate unit that
    plugs into the existing modem via a supplied ethernet cable. I set it up as
    described, ran the installation CD on my laptop and everything worked fine.
    Strong signal, fast connection, everything A-OK. So far, so good.

    However: I still want to connect to the internet using my old PC as well.
    I'm not that concerned if I can't make the computers speak to each other, but
    I need both to be able to connect to the internet. If I leave the USB cable
    connected from the modem to the old PC, then the internet light on the router
    glows orange rather than green and I cannot connect using the laptop. If I
    disconnect it again, the orange light goes green and then I CAN connect using
    the laptop, but of course now I have lost the connection from the old PC. I
    need to be able to use BOTH. Maybe not simultaneously (though I would have
    thought that was possible) but I certainly don't want to be constantly
    disconnecting and reconnecting cables on my modem and/or router.

    I have tried leaving out the USB cable and using my ethernet cable (the
    original one with my modem) to connect the router directly to the old PC, but
    that has had no effect. But I read somewhere that maybe my ethernet port is
    not enabled and that I would have to change that (there's no light or
    anything that I can see on it, but it IS the right port on my computer
    because it's the only one the ethernet cable will plug into.)

    same time. There must be a way to do this but I can't make it work. My
    ISP's helpdesk guy seemed unable even to comprehend the problem.

    Help!!

    ryco, May 11, 2009

  2. ryco

    Big_Al Guest

    ryco said this on 5/11/2009 5:58 PM:
    > Background: I have Cable broadband, through a cable modem connected via USB
    > to my desktop PC. This PC is NOT wireless enabled and I have no requirement
    > to make it so. A label on the modem says I should use the ethernet cable "if
    > your Computer supports it" but that never worked for me so I stuck with USB
    > and that all seemed to be OK. PC is about 4 years old I think. Dell
    > Dimension C521.
    >
    > Now: I have bought a wireless enabled laptop, so I got a wireless router
    > from my ISP. This is not a combined modem/router; it's a separate unit that
    > plugs into the existing modem via a supplied ethernet cable. I set it up as
    > described, ran the installation CD on my laptop and everything worked fine.
    > Strong signal, fast connection, everything A-OK. So far, so good.
    >
    > However: I still want to connect to the internet using my old PC as well.
    > I'm not that concerned if I can't make the computers speak to each other, but
    > I need both to be able to connect to the internet. If I leave the USB cable
    > connected from the modem to the old PC, then the internet light on the router
    > glows orange rather than green and I cannot connect using the laptop. If I
    > disconnect it again, the orange light goes green and then I CAN connect using
    > the laptop, but of course now I have lost the connection from the old PC. I
    > need to be able to use BOTH. Maybe not simultaneously (though I would have
    > thought that was possible) but I certainly don't want to be constantly
    > disconnecting and reconnecting cables on my modem and/or router.
    >
    > I have tried leaving out the USB cable and using my ethernet cable (the
    > original one with my modem) to connect the router directly to the old PC, but
    > that has had no effect. But I read somewhere that maybe my ethernet port is
    > not enabled and that I would have to change that (there's no light or
    > anything that I can see on it, but it IS the right port on my computer
    > because it's the only one the ethernet cable will plug into.)

    > same time. There must be a way to do this but I can't make it work. My
    > ISP's helpdesk guy seemed unable even to comprehend the problem.
    >
    > Help!!

    I am assuming the modem will only supply one connection, USB or
    Ethernet. It been 2 years since I had that arrangement and it probably
    differs from vendor to vendor anyway. The router is the unit that
    performs the function you want. It makes multiple connections possible,
    in your case wireless and wired. You should plug the PC into the
    router directly. And it requires a straight through cable. If the
    colors of the 8 wires in the plastic connector are visible, both ends
    should be the same color order. Does not matter what colors, just the
    same order left to right in the 8 pins. You might need a magnifying
    glass. If they flipped a couple of colors, then you probably have a
    crossover cable. This is a special function cable and might be used to
    direct connect to the modem, but not a PC->router.

    PS, once both PC's are in the router, you will be able to think about
    sharing files and view network PCs.

    Big_Al, May 12, 2009

  3. ryco

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    To use two computers with the same Internet connection you need the two
    computer to be past the Routing.
    If you Old computer have Ethernet too switch from the USB to the Ethernet
    and plug it to the Router.
    Otherwise you can buy a USB to Ethernet device and use it in order to plug
    the old computer to the Router.
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203024
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 12, 2009
  4. ryco

    Gordon Guest

    "Big_Al" <> wrote in message

    > And it requires a straight through cable.

    I would think it's highly unlikely that the OP has a cross-over cable....you
    need to specifically ask for one when you purchase cables....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, May 12, 2009
  5. This is a real simple thing and no one has "caught it" yet. It is probably
    due to the extremely loose use of terminology that plagues the industry so
    that no one really knows what anyone is saying by the words they use
    anymore.

    You have no Firewall Device. These are commonly called "routers" in the
    retail stores although in reality they are not really "routers",..what they
    really are is a cheap low-buck NAT Firewall Device,...but the stores call
    them "routers" so that is what you are looking for.

    You cannot do what you are wanting with a Cable/DSL Modem.

    As far as Wired -vs- Wireless,...the Wireless is not a "network",...the
    Wireless componenet is just a "patch cable replacement". The whole thing
    (big picture), the wired and the wireless together is the "network",...all
    of it combined.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 12, 2009
  6. ryco

    Big_Al Guest

    Gordon said this on 5/12/2009 3:16 AM:

    > "Big_Al" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> And it requires a straight through cable.

    > I would think it's highly unlikely that the OP has a cross-over
    > cable....you need to specifically ask for one when you purchase cables....

    Me too, but I offer it as fact that there is such a thing and a simple
    way to tell them apart. Not knowing anyones level of expertise, its
    better to say than not say.

    Big_Al, May 12, 2009
  7. ryco

    ryco Guest

    Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions so far..

    Big Al: My ethernet cable has translucent blue connectors so it's difficult
    to be certain about the colours of the wires inside, but they LOOK the same
    at both ends. If it's of any use, the cable has the following printed on it:
    TYPE CM 24AWG 75(degree symbol)C TIA/EIA-568-B.2 CAT.5 Patch Cable UTP NET-X
    None of that means anything to me except I guess the cable is rated up to
    75Celsius.

    I have already tried connecting this cable between my PC and router, to no
    effect. See 2nd last para of my original post. Any idea how I would enable
    the ethernet port in case that's an issue?

    Jack: "If you Old computer have Ethernet too switch from the USB to the
    Ethernet
    and plug it to the Router." I think you're suggesting the same thing, so
    I'm still stuck but I will look into your suggestion about that USB to
    ethernet device. Thanks.

    Phillip: I'm afraid I'm in over my head with most of what you said. I'm
    not techie enough to follow it. The PC has firewall SOFTWARE, but I guess
    that's not the same as a firewall DEVICE. Just occurred to me: is it worth
    switching off the firewall software and attempting this again?

    But ..."You cannot do what you are wanting with a Cable/DSL Modem."
    ....seems pretty emphatic. You're certian about that? In which case what do
    I need to do? Do I need to make this PC wireless enabled? If so, is one of
    those plug-in USB things the best (i.e. easiest for an amateur!!) way to
    proceed?

    ryco, May 12, 2009
  8. "ryco" <> wrote in message
    > Phillip: I'm afraid I'm in over my head with most of what you said. I'm
    > not techie enough to follow it. The PC has firewall SOFTWARE, but I guess
    > that's not the same as a firewall DEVICE.

    Correct,...two entirely different things.
    Sorry, I didn't notice that you got the wireless "router" from the ISP when
    I posted the first time, I need to read a little slower,...more on that
    device below.

    > Just occurred to me: is it worth
    > switching off the firewall software and attempting this again?

    It is pretty much irrelevant. Yes, it can cause you problems,...but I don't
    think it will apply to this context.

    > But ..."You cannot do what you are wanting with a Cable/DSL Modem."
    > ...seems pretty emphatic. You're certian about that?

    Emphatically, yes :)
    But you have the wireless router from the ISP,...that should work,...you
    just have to "phyiscally" assemble the network with the devices in the
    correct pattern.

    > In which case what do I need to do?

    The wireless router that you got from the ISP *is* a firewall device,..use
    it.

    It must go between the "modem" and the PC's. Forget USB cable,...in this
    situation USB has no place in this story. The "modem" will have to use the
    Ethernet Cable instead of the USB,..and that cable will plug into the WAN
    Port on the "router". Then the wired PCs will plug into the LAN Ports on
    the "router" (there are typically 4 LAN ports,...the 5th is the WAN port).
    The wireless capable PCs will connect via the antennas on the "router"
    instead of via cable.

    From what I can see from your first post it looks like you did most of it
    correctly,...maybe you did not plug the wired PCs into the correct ports on
    the "router".

    [Internet]

    <modem>

    <wireless router>----{wireless signal}---wireless PC1
    | | |
    PC2 PC3 PC4

    In my diagram the PCs 2-4 are wired
    PC1 is the wireless one

    If you know that it is cabled up correctly and still doesn't work you may
    need to get the ISP to help,..particularly since the device came from them.
    Some ISPs can get into the "router" and configure it for you as long as your
    cabling is correct.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 12, 2009
  9. ryco

    ryco Guest

    VERY comprehensive response and an excellent diagram - thank you. I'm pretty
    sure I have done what you described, except I have only PCs 1 and 2 from your
    diagram.

    The first port on my router is unnumbered. It's coloured yellow and it's
    where the yellow ethernet cable from my ISP connects back to the cable modem.
    So that's the WAN port, right? Next I have four ports numbered 1 to 4 and I
    plugged my OTHER ethernet cable into port 1. I plugged the other end of this
    into the ethernet port on my PC. It's the only port that fits, so I can't
    have got that wrong.

    From this, I see two possibilities: either the cable is faulty, or the port
    is disabled/dead/whatever. This latter is a possibility I came across
    somewhere else. Do you know anything about how I can check the status of
    that port, or how I could 'enable' it if necessary? I looked in the Network
    Connections folder but didn't find anything useful there. Its shows my local
    area connection as follows:
    LAN or high-speed internet | Connected, firewalled | USB cable modem 351000
    (At the moment I have disconnected the router and am using my old USB
    connection)

    I think you've confirmed what I *NEED* to do. The question is: why won't it
    work?

    ryco, May 12, 2009
  10. ryco

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    You seems to be on the right track, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 13, 2009
  11. "ryco" <> wrote in message
    > VERY comprehensive response and an excellent diagram - thank you. I'm
    > pretty
    > sure I have done what you described, except I have only PCs 1 and 2 from
    > your
    > diagram.
    >
    > The first port on my router is unnumbered. It's coloured yellow and it's
    > where the yellow ethernet cable from my ISP connects back to the cable
    > modem.
    > So that's the WAN port, right?

    Correct

    > Next I have four ports numbered 1 to 4 and I
    > plugged my OTHER ethernet cable into port 1. I plugged the other end of
    > this
    > into the ethernet port on my PC. It's the only port that fits, so I can't
    > have got that wrong.

    Correct

    > From this, I see two possibilities: either the cable is faulty, or the
    > port
    > is disabled/dead/whatever. This latter is a possibility I came across
    > somewhere else. Do you know anything about how I can check the status of
    > that port, or how I could 'enable' it if necessary? I looked in the
    > Network
    > Connections folder but didn't find anything useful there. Its shows my
    > local
    > area connection as follows:

    Try a new cable. Make sure the one you are using isn't a cross-over
    cable,...although some devices would compensate for that.

    Beyond that call the ISP. The box came from them,...they most likely can
    get into the box if you leave it hooked up,...they can check the
    configuration on the box. There is nothing I can do for you there,...I can
    not touch it, see it, smell it, etc.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 13, 2009
  12. ryco

    ryco Guest

    PROBLEM SOLVED!

    Turns out it was my ethernet controller all along. I borrowed a different
    cable from work and when that had no effect I was convinced the only other
    possibility was a problem with the PC (because the responses/diagrams from
    Phillip and Jack indicated I wasn't making any basic errors in connections)

    I eventually figured out how to get to System Properties > Device Manager
    and found the error staring me in the face. No idea WHY this ethernet
    controller wasn't working, but it must have been like that all along, which
    would explain why only the USB cable would work with the modem, prior to this
    whole wireless saga.

    Anyway, I went to the Dell website, downloaded the required drivers,
    rebooted and hey presto everything worked.

    I think I've learned more about networking in the past four or five days
    than I would have thought possible. Thank you to everyone who assisted me
    with this. I really do appreciate it.

    Pat.

    ryco, May 16, 2009
  13. Very good!