    How are the wires connected from my existing router to my single port
    ethernet power injector and to my ethernet access point?

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?aTJtZWVr?=, Oct 7, 2007

  2. Hi
    The Ethernet power injector (Aka POE) is a way to provide power to the
    Access Point if it is installed in a spot that there is no 110VAC jack to
    plug the power supply.
    If you can plug the AP to the power, ignore the Injector.
    The AP Network port should be plugged with a regular CAT5e cable to one of
    the Router’s port (just like you plug the PCs).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 8, 2007

  3. Can't plug AP to power - AP350 is not able to.

    I have my time warner/roadrunner network cable coming into my house,
    directly to my modem, and my modem connected to router. I have one of the
    wires coming out of the router to the Access Point. Light(s) on AP are green
    so am pretty sure it's wired correct. Can't get it to connect.

    Can't find IP address using Cisco utility software. I think I have to give
    the AP a new configuration (SSID, IP) via the MAC address but can't.

    Not sure about configuring my "wired" computer (host?), wireless laptops
    (clients?), and the AP. Should all have the same SSID? How do I 1) find and
    2) re-assign the IP on the AP?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?aTJtZWVr?=, Oct 28, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aTJtZWVr?=

    Lem Guest

    Have you been here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/prod_installation_guides_list.html

    The SSID is the name of your *wireless* network. It has nothing to do
    with the wired computers on the network. The SSID will be broadcast by
    the access point and when you fire up a wireless adapter on one of your
    laptops and "view available wireless networks," you will see this SSID
    (perhaps among other wireless networks in range) and this is how you
    will identify the wireless network that you want to connect to.

    There is no "base station" other than, perhaps, the access point.

    Unless you have changed your router's default settings, all home routers
    that I am familiar with default to having a DHCP server turned on.
    Thus, if you have connected the power injector correctly between your
    router and the access point, the router's DHCP server should have
    assigned an IP address to the access point.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.
    Lem, Oct 28, 2007
  5. Yep - been there several times, but will return in case I missed something.

    I actually have 2 access points, one doesn't identify, the other is
    identified, but I wish to rename it and need the IP address.

    I know the SSID is the name of the "wireless" network, but I am trying to
    get the IP address and reconfigure.

    Is absolutely nothing to be done with/to my "wired" computer, and ALL
    configuring, accessing, installing, etc. to be done by one ofmy laptops?
    wirelessly or temporarily wired to set up?

    I still ask,
    >>Should all (both ap's) have the same SSID? How do I 1) find and
    > > 2) re-assign the IP on the AP? The site you referred me to has a utility program to find the IP and reconfigure. You find the IP by entering the MAC address but it fails to do so. You reconfigure by entering the MAC address, SSOD, and IP, so I need the IP first.

    Thank you very much

    =?Utf-8?B?aTJtZWVr?=, Oct 28, 2007