    My main concern is getting XP drivers for the hardware.

    TIA,
    chowse
    chowse, Apr 27, 2008

  2. chowse

    chowse Guest

    On Apr 27, 8:11 am, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "chowse" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,
    > > I'm thinking seriously about buying an eMachines T5254 <http://
    > >www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5254>. I will most
    > > likely remove Vista and install XP Pro and I was wondering if anyone
    > > has any personal experiences with this machine.

    > > My main concern is getting XP drivers for the hardware.

    > > TIA,
    > > chowse

    > Just go the the mfg's website and check to see if they have the XP drivers

    Actually, I've already done that...no joy.
    chowse, Apr 27, 2008

  3. chowse

    chuckcar Guest

    chowse <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    > I'm thinking seriously about buying an eMachines T5254 <http://
    > www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5254>. I will most
    > likely remove Vista and install XP Pro and I was wondering if anyone
    > has any personal experiences with this machine.
    >
    > My main concern is getting XP drivers for the hardware.

    You won't period. The hardware is specific to the manufacturer and other
    drivers from the chip makers' won't work in most cases. Just buy a
    computer that comes with XP. That's what you want after all.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 27, 2008
  4. chowse

    chowse Guest

    On Apr 27, 12:49 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > chowse <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm thinking seriously about buying an eMachines T5254 <http://
    > >www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5254>. I will most
    > > likely remove Vista and install XP Pro and I was wondering if anyone
    > > has any personal experiences with this machine.

    > > My main concern is getting XP drivers for the hardware.

    > You won't period. The hardware is specific to the manufacturer and other
    > drivers from the chip makers' won't work in most cases. Just buy a
    > computer that comes with XP. That's what you want after all.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

    Don't want to do that.
    A. I already have a copy of XP, don't want to pay for another
    B. If you can find me a $400 tower, dual-core processor w/ 2GB of ram
    and a huge HDD that doesn't come with Vista pre-installed, I'd love to
    see a link to it.
    Sigh,... I could just learn to love Vista ;-)
    chowse, Apr 27, 2008
  5. chowse

    chuckcar Guest

    chowse <> wrote in

    > On Apr 27, 12:49 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> chowse <> wrote
    >> innews:05329211-e976-4eed-a0c0-4116

    > :

    > Don't want to do that.

    > A. I already have a copy of XP, don't want to pay for another
    > B. If you can find me a $400 tower, dual-core processor w/ 2GB of ram
    > and a huge HDD that doesn't come with Vista pre-installed, I'd love to
    > see a link to it.
    > Sigh,... I could just learn to love Vista ;-)

    There's your problem. You want a computer that's going to be a piece of
    junk for that kind of money. Go out and buy a good commercial (buy
    *only* the *retail* one - you *don't* want OEM) 3d video card and sound
    card and replace what's in your machine. You *will* pay less than $100
    and you can run whatever you want for an operating system. The problem
    with consumer desktops (aside from a laughable power supply) is the
    proprietary hardware. If you replace the sound card and video card, you
    eliminate this problem. But before you add *anything* more to it make
    sure you get a new case, so you have an adequate power supply or don't
    use USB peripherals.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 28, 2008
  6. chowse

    jm011a4900 Guest

    Charles

    I actually have this self same desktop. I've noticed very few Vista glitches with it running some fairly old software, as well.

    It has the option to tell you that the software didn't upload correctly and will actually ask if you want it to go and search for a remedy to this.

    One example I'll give is, I run a WinTV/Hauppauge Nova-T-USB2 TV box from my pc. I installed the software which came packaged with and seems to have been written for Win 2000 and XP. Vista went of to Hauppauge, found the necessary software to load it through Windows Media Center and 'hey presto' all works perfectly now.

    It's not 100% fool proof, however, there's the compatibility option to fall back on, whereby you can ask Vista to treat your software as if it ran on XP, 2000, ME, or 98.

    I've one small point to make of the 5254 and others in it's class, the processor isn't hat great and ... it almost immediately requires more that the loaded 1GB of RAM, to run anything other than the simplest of software or options.

    I'd suggest you leave it to run on Vista, because of the inherent ability for it to go and search for updated software, but, each to their own!

    HTH
    wheelzuk
    -------
    "chowse" <>