Wiped out config - how to reconfigure?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Skippyboy, May 1, 2007.

  1. Skippyboy

    Skippyboy Guest

    Ok- I admit - I am a newbie to Cisco Routers and the IOS CLI. We got
    some excess 2600 routers in our lab for me to experiment on, and I
    have several books and training videos.

    One thing I did was, during an exec session - I erased the boot-config
    and restarted the router. (I did this because there was a LOT of
    configurations on there from the last user).

    Anyway - I am able to go in and give each interface an IP and subnet
    address. Then I connect them using hubs (for the ethernet ports) and a
    crossover cable (for the serial port). I issue the "no shutdown"
    command for each one, and I see them all come up.

    However - I can't ping from one router to another. Do I need to set up
    the routing protocols? Or maybe an ACL?

    Like I said - after wiping them - I gave each interface an IP and
    subnet - and that is all. Those are the only fields with any
    information in the configuration now.

    I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. Thanks.
    Skippyboy, May 1, 2007

  2. Skippyboy

    Guest

    Hi,

    You do not need to configure any ACL or Routing protocol to get
    connectivity to directly connected routers, configuring the IP address
    and the subnet and then issuing "no shut" is enough to be able to ping
    on a Cisco router.

    Are you sure both line and protocols are up? You should double check
    that with "sh ip int brief".

    Also, are you seeing the other routers in the 'sh arp' ?

    For the serial link you need to configure the clock on the DCE side.

    NetExpert
    --
    Ask me question on www.bananask.com : www.bananask.com/ask_NetExpert
    , May 1, 2007

  3. Skippyboy

    Skippyboy Guest

    On May 1, 10:57 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You do not need to configure any ACL or Routing protocol to get
    > connectivity to directly connected routers, configuring the IP address
    > and the subnet and then issuing "no shut" is enough to be able to ping
    > on a Cisco router.
    >
    > Are you sure both line and protocols are up? You should double check
    > that with "sh ip int brief".
    >
    > Also, are you seeing the other routers in the 'sh arp' ?
    >
    > For the serial link you need to configure the clock on the DCE side.
    >
    > NetExpert
    > --
    > Ask me question onwww.bananask.com:www.bananask.com/ask_NetExpert

    Hmmm - ok - silly question... When 2 routers are connected back to
    back in a test situation - which one is the DCE? And what exactly do
    you mean by configuring the clock? Is that data rate clock or time/
    date clock?

    THanks for the help.
    Skippyboy, May 2, 2007
  4. Skippyboy

    chris Guest

    "Skippyboy" <> wrote in message
    > On May 1, 10:57 am, wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You do not need to configure any ACL or Routing protocol to get
    >> connectivity to directly connected routers, configuring the IP address
    >> and the subnet and then issuing "no shut" is enough to be able to ping
    >> on a Cisco router.
    >>
    >> Are you sure both line and protocols are up? You should double check
    >> that with "sh ip int brief".
    >>
    >> Also, are you seeing the other routers in the 'sh arp' ?
    >>
    >> For the serial link you need to configure the clock on the DCE side.
    >>
    >> NetExpert
    >> --
    >> Ask me question onwww.bananask.com:www.bananask.com/ask_NetExpert

    > Hmmm - ok - silly question... When 2 routers are connected back to
    > back in a test situation - which one is the DCE? And what exactly do
    > you mean by configuring the clock? Is that data rate clock or time/
    > date clock?
    >
    > THanks for the help.

    The DCE end is the one with the DCE cable attached to it. The clockrate is
    the data clock rate and not the time.

    Chris.
    chris, May 2, 2007
  5. Skippyboy

    Skippyboy Guest

    On May 2, 10:41 am, "chris" <> wrote:
    > "Skippyboy" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 1, 10:57 am, wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> You do not need to configure any ACL or Routing protocol to get
    > >> connectivity to directly connected routers, configuring the IP address
    > >> and the subnet and then issuing "no shut" is enough to be able to ping
    > >> on a Cisco router.

    > >> Are you sure both line and protocols are up? You should double check
    > >> that with "sh ip int brief".

    > >> Also, are you seeing the other routers in the 'sh arp' ?

    > >> For the serial link you need to configure the clock on the DCE side.

    > >> NetExpert
    > >> --
    > >> Ask me question onwww.bananask.com:www.bananask.com/ask_NetExpert

    > > Hmmm - ok - silly question... When 2 routers are connected back to
    > > back in a test situation - which one is the DCE? And what exactly do
    > > you mean by configuring the clock? Is that data rate clock or time/
    > > date clock?

    > > THanks for the help.

    > The DCE end is the one with the DCE cable attached to it. The clockrate is
    > the data clock rate and not the time.
    >
    > Chris.

    Amazing. I went out and double checked the crossover serial cable, and
    one end was labelled DCE and one DTE. I will give this a shot and
    report back.

    Thanks for the info.
    Skippyboy, May 3, 2007
  6. Skippyboy

    Skippyboy Guest

    On May 1, 10:57 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You do not need to configure any ACL or Routing protocol to get
    > connectivity to directly connected routers, configuring the IP address
    > and the subnet and then issuing "no shut" is enough to be able to ping
    > on a Cisco router.
    >
    > Are you sure both line and protocols are up? You should double check
    > that with "sh ip int brief".
    >
    > Also, are you seeing the other routers in the 'sh arp' ?
    >
    > For the serial link you need to configure the clock on the DCE side.
    >
    > NetExpert
    > --
    > Ask me question onwww.bananask.com:www.bananask.com/ask_NetExpert

    That was the trick. Just had to configure the clock rate. Now the
    routers are talking. Thanks a lot!
    Skippyboy, May 15, 2007