    how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    running windows 95
    Giving computer away

    jim, Jan 16, 2005

  2. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    news:DBBGd.16210$...
    | how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    | running windows 95
    | Giving computer away

    I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that runs
    from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
    http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
    It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery. Norton
    Utilities also ships with a program like that.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005

  3. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    | "jim" <> wrote in message
    || how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    || running windows 95
    || Giving computer away
    | I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that runs
    | from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
    | http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
    | It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery.
    Norton
    | Utilities also ships with a program like that.

    Okay that one *is* Norton's wipedisk - version 4.5. It may have some
    incompatibilities with larger drives, since it was written so long ago.

    Here are other options:
    http://www.killdisk.com/
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  4. jim

    John Holmes Guest

    jim came up with this:

    > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    > running windows 95
    > Giving computer away

    Try this solution. It rocks. Really.

    http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2005
  5. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    | jim came up with this:
    |
    | > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    | > running windows 95
    | > Giving computer away
    | >

    | Try this solution. It rocks. Really.
    |
    | http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html

    Wow! Those guys are really *good*! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  6. jim

    John Holmes Guest

    Toolman Tim came up with this:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >| jim came up with this:
    >|
    >| > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    >| > running windows 95
    >| > Giving computer away
    >| >

    >| Try this solution. It rocks. Really.
    >|
    >| http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html
    >|
    > Wow! Those guys are really *good*! <g>

    ;-)

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2005
  7. jim

    jim Guest

    Thanks "Toolman"
    Worked fine
    Jim

    jim, Jan 16, 2005
  8. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome. (I keep a disk handy for that same exact
    purpose...'retiring' computers at work have to be 'secure' before getting
    rid of them.)

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    | Thanks "Toolman"
    | Worked fine
    | Jim
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | "jim" <> wrote in message
    | > ||

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  9. jim

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:13:12 -0500 jim wrote:

    > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    > running windows 95
    > Giving computer away

    Go out and buy a dirt cheap 40gig hard drive, swap drives.
    Keep the original.

    Richard, Jan 17, 2005
  10. jim

    Aquanaut Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
    > running windows 95
    > Giving computer away

    In real terms just format the damn thing---if you worked for nasa etc,you
    would not be allowed to give the pc away.
    It takes loads of work (and why would the end user want to?) to recover data
    from a formatted drive----If data paranoia is your thing-just buy a new
    drive for it,and destroy yours.

    Aquanaut, Jan 17, 2005
  11. jim

    Billh Guest

    http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

    I have used the info on this page to do what you want.

    Billh, Jan 17, 2005