    utilities?

    2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
    a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    suoh, Oct 28, 2004

  2. suoh

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    suoh <> wrote in news:ssss-9FAAD9.15315828102004
    @syrcnyrdrs-02-ge0.nyroc.rr.com:

    > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    > size.
    >
    > I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
    > was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
    > zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
    > zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
    > utilities?
    >
    > 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
    > a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    I've never run into problems with file sizes in WinZip. It's free to use for
    21 days and then you'll need to register it. For other freeware options try
    here:

    http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm#File Compression: Zip-Unzip

    Fuzzy Logic, Oct 28, 2004

  3. suoh

    dadiOH Guest

    suoh wrote:

    > 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
    > utilities?

    Depends, normally around 4 gigs

    > 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone
    > recommend a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    Maybe it can't open it because it is no good.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Oct 28, 2004
  4. suoh

    °Mike° Guest

    There should be no problem with a 300 MB zip file,
    with any archiver; it's a poor archiver if there is.
    Try the trial version of WinZip.

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:33:25 GMT, in
    <>
    suoh scrawled:

    >A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    >size.
    >
    >I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
    >was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
    >zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
    >zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
    >
    >So my questions are:
    >
    >1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
    >utilities?
    >
    >2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
    >a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 28, 2004
  5. On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:33:25 GMT, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    suoh gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana
    jammed up its ass, the following deranged nonsense:

    > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    > size.
    >
    > I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
    > was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
    > zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
    > zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
    > utilities?
    >
    > 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
    > a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    I've never had a problem with files that large in Power Archiver.
    As others have suggested, you might try WinZip. Also, is it *really*
    a zipped file, and not a renamed .exe file or somesuch?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!! The staff of life!!

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 28, 2004
  6. suoh wrote:
    > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    > size.

    > 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
    > a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    Most archiving utilities (including the freeware ones) can handle zip
    files of this size. Maybe the zip file itself is corrupt. Many of the
    newer archiving utilities have a 'Test' feature which help determine if
    an archive is corrupt.

    You could try one of these:

    IZArc
    http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

    ZipGenius
    http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

    7-Zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/

    ICEOWS
    http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

    TugZip
    http://www.tugzip.com/

    AlZip (FREE for home users)
    http://www.altools.net/Default.aspx?tabid=47

    My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its shell
    extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes another
    freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for anyone
    interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use ICEOWS.

    Regards,
    Mario

    Mario Alvares, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Hello,

    there is a 64bit extension to ZIP to avoid any size limit
    (which is even in ordinary ZIP around 4 GB) introduced by
    ZIP innovators PkZIP, so maybe that is the reason. I switched
    to TugZip, because that can handle this files too.

    > TugZip
    > http://www.tugzip.com/

    See also:

    http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/zip-archive-file-format.html

    Quote: "the format was extended to use 64 bit integers, but not
    all programs support that"

    Regards,
    Thorsten
    --
    connect
    load http://www.editorial.de

    Thorsten Duhn, Oct 28, 2004
  8. suoh

    Mikey Guest

    Hi;
    Got a 1.7 GIG zip file that is esealy handled by Power Archiver 6.11 (last free v.).

    Mikey, Oct 28, 2004
  9. suoh

    Ionizer Guest

    "suoh" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    > size.

    A 300MB email attachment actually went through? 300MB?

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 28, 2004
  10. suoh

    H-Man Guest

    "suoh" <> wrote in message
    >A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
    > size.
    >
    > I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
    > was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on
    > the
    > zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
    > zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
    > utilities?
    >
    > 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone
    > recommend
    > a (hopefully free) utility that can?

    It was my experience that PowerArchiver looks like it's done and diplays
    a blank archive, but it really isn't done. Wait for a while, it should
    populate the screen once it reads the entire file. As I recall, this can
    take a couple on minutes for file this size.

    --
    HK

    H-Man, Oct 28, 2004
  11. suoh

    dadiOH Guest

    suoh wrote:
    > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb
    > in size.

    That's a very generous mailbox you have there...mine limits attachments to something like 10 MB.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Oct 28, 2004
  12. suoh

    suoh Guest

    In article <>,
    "dadiOH" <> wrote:

    > suoh wrote:
    > > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb
    > > in size.

    > That's a very generous mailbox you have there...mine limits attachments to
    > something like 10 MB.

    Okay, point of accuracy... the email contained a link to a web page with
    a downloadable zip file.

    suoh, Oct 29, 2004
  13. In article <> suoh <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote:
    >
    >> suoh wrote:
    >> > A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb
    >> > in size.

    >> That's a very generous mailbox you have there...mine limits attachments to
    >> something like 10 MB.

    >Okay, point of accuracy... the email contained a link to a web page with
    >a downloadable zip file.

    I emailed you. It bounced.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Without a doubt she(?) is intelligent. The smugness in her comments
    seems to comes from a need for self praise. She likely wants to avoid
    the hook of interaction and it seems her punish/reward system is a bit
    fucked up (she's too sensitive and it seems acknowledged). She is
    usually the most unprovocative. She is most likely educated in a
    non-typical feminist fashion (this is a big complement). She usually
    goes out of her way not to offend. She adds no value to the group
    (what I thought was intentional distance until the last few posts)."
    -- Leone

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 29, 2004
  14. suoh

    Fred Guest

    Lady Chatterly wrote:

    > I emailed you.

    Does your medication cause impotence?

    > -- Lady Chatterly

    What do you do when you are alone with a girl?

    > The smugness in her comments seems to comes from a need for self
    > praise.

    You are at a party full of eligible singles Not one person shows any
    interest in you. Do you leave feeling unattractive and uninteresting?

    > She likely wants to avoid the hook of interaction and it seems her
    > punish/reward system is a bit fucked up (she's too sensitive and it
    > seems acknowledged).

    It may seem her punish/reward system is a bit fucked up (she's too sensitive
    and it seems acknowledged).

    > She is usually the most unprovocative.

    Is she really?

    > She is most likely educated in a non-typical feminist fashion (this is
    > a big complement).

    My brother-in-law is also most likely educated in a non-typical feminist
    fashion (this is a big complement)

    > She adds no value to the group (what I thought was intentional distance
    > until the last few posts).

    Who told you to think?

    Fred, Oct 29, 2004
  15. Hello,

    >>there is a 64bit extension to ZIP to avoid any size limit
    >>(which is even in ordinary ZIP around 4 GB) introduced by
    >>ZIP innovators PkZIP, so maybe that is the reason. I switched
    >>to TugZip, because that can handle this files too.
    >>

    >>>TugZip
    >>>http://www.tugzip.com/

    >>See also:
    >>
    >>http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/zip-archive-file-format.html
    >>
    >>Quote: "the format was extended to use 64 bit integers, but not
    >>all programs support that"

    > Got a 1.7 GIG zip file that is esealy handled by Power Archiver
    > 6.11 (last free v.).

    but it's another not so old ZIP format, not all ZIP programs are
    able to handle. I don't know about PowerArchiver (current seem to,
    but history only goes back to 8.50) or others, I just wanted to
    mention, that the ZIP from the original poster _may_ be in this
    64bit format so a Unzip is needed that is aware of that, like for
    example TugZip. I have a commercial backup tool, that generates
    this file format so I had to search for a zipper with this feature,
    and I'm glad with what I found. Filzip, Icenows, Izarc did not at
    that time, maybe they added it since then.

    Regards,
    Thorsten

    Thorsten Duhn, Oct 29, 2004
  16. suoh

    ms Guest

    Mario Alvares wrote:

    > My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its shell
    > extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes another
    > freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for anyone
    > interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use ICEOWS.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mario

    I also like and use IZArc, found another bug. When archiving a folder, if the
    folder contains a dll file, the resulting zip file does not include the dll file.
    The IZArc forum could not solve this.

    Mike Sa

    ms, Oct 29, 2004
  17. suoh

    John Corliss Guest

    ms wrote:

    > Mario Alvares wrote:
    >
    >> My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its shell
    >> extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes another
    >> freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for anyone
    >> interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use ICEOWS.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Mario
    >>

    > I also like and use IZArc, found another bug. When archiving a folder,
    > if the folder contains a dll file, the resulting zip file does not
    > include the dll file. The IZArc forum could not solve this.
    >
    > Mike Sa

    I'm telling ya' Mike, ICEows is the way to go:

    http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

    I tried IZArc several times and always gave up on it as being too buggy.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

    Because Andy Mabbett is stalking me in this group, I have him killfiled.

    John Corliss, Oct 29, 2004
  18. ms <> wrote in news::

    > Mario Alvares wrote:
    >
    >> My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its
    >> shell extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes
    >> another freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for
    >> anyone interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use
    >> ICEOWS.

    > I also like and use IZArc, found another bug. When archiving a folder,
    > if the folder contains a dll file, the resulting zip file does not
    > include the dll file. The IZArc forum could not solve this.

    Hi Mike,

    I could not reproduce the behaviour you are experiencing. Adding a dll
    file to an archive is pretty basic, and works here (Win XP, SP1) all the
    time.

    Maybe it has something to do with your Windows config, or the way your
    IZArc progam options are set up.

    Mario

    Mario Alvares, Oct 29, 2004
  19. John Corliss <#> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >
    >> Mario Alvares wrote:
    >>
    >>> My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its
    >>> shell extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes
    >>> another freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for
    >>> anyone interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use
    >>> ICEOWS.
    >>>

    >> I also like and use IZArc, found another bug. When archiving a
    >> folder, if the folder contains a dll file, the resulting zip file
    >> does not include the dll file. The IZArc forum could not solve this.
    >>

    > I'm telling ya' Mike, ICEows is the way to go:
    >
    > http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >
    > I tried IZArc several times and always gave up on it as being too
    > buggy.

    Really? I've used IZArc a lot, and find it far from being "too buggy".

    And just FYI, ICEOWS has some bugs too. Right - click on an EXE (a
    normal exe, not a self - extracting exe) file in Windows Explorer, and
    select Iceows->Explore Contents. Since the exe file is not a self -
    extracting exe, the following message pops up: "Sorry but I can't
    determine the type of this archive." Click OK to dismiss the message
    box.

    Everything's fine so far. But now try to delete the same exe file. You
    will get the familiar Windows message "Cannot delete XXX.exe: It is
    being used by another person or program."

    This happens because ICEOWS has unnecessarily left behind open file
    'handles' (16 (!) on my machine, verified using Process Explorer).

    Mario

    Mario Alvares, Oct 29, 2004
  20. suoh

    ms Guest

    John Corliss wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >
    >> Mario Alvares wrote:
    >>
    >>> My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its shell
    >>> extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes another
    >>> freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for anyone
    >>> interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use ICEOWS.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Mario
    >>>

    >> I also like and use IZArc, found another bug. When archiving a folder,
    >> if the folder contains a dll file, the resulting zip file does not
    >> include the dll file. The IZArc forum could not solve this.
    >>
    >> Mike Sa

    > I'm telling ya' Mike, ICEows is the way to go:
    >
    > http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html
    >
    > I tried IZArc several times and always gave up on it as being too buggy.

    John, as mentioned a few weeks ago, I'd like to try it, but on first run, it
    crashed my W98SE. Probably some registry garbage it didn't like. Maybe in the future.

    IZArc on the other hand, installed and ran fine. It's a PITA that nearly all
    archivers install, most would work fine as executables. In the past, I converted
    Filzip, Winzip and Power Archiver.

    Mike Sa

    ms, Oct 30, 2004