    do not show up (like you can right click on a group of files and select
    "WinZip/Add.... etc.")

    Has anyone else seen this?
    Don Awalt, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Yes, known issue. The problem is that WinZIP is a pure 32-bit application,
    and the extensions are 32-bit as well. But Windows Explorer is 64-bit, and
    64-bit programs can't call 32-bit dlls (and 32-bit programs can't call 64-bit
    dlls). There is a workaround, however:
    ==========
    See KB #895561 Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items
    are not available in x64 Edition.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895561

    a.) create a shortcut to: "%windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate"
    (remove the quotes) and place it on your desktop
    b.) use this version of Windows Explorer and your extensions will
    work.

    Meanwhile, let the folks at WinZip know you don't like that workaround and
    want a real 64-bit program.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2005

  3. I've just blogged two workarounds to this at
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64 -- the 32-bit Explorer one I posted earlier
    and a more generic one using a modified SendTo menu.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Don Awalt <> wrote:
    > Is anyone else using Winzip 9.0 on XP 64? It seems the explorer
    > extensions do not show up (like you can right click on a group of
    > files and select "WinZip/Add.... etc.")
    >

    > Has anyone else seen this?

    You may want to use Winrar. You can find a fix on www.planetamd64.com for
    the explorer extensions.

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:16:49 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
    <> wrote:

    >You may want to use Winrar. You can find a fix on www.planetamd64.com for
    >the explorer extensions.

    With WinRAR 3.5 beta 5, you don't need that fix anymore (as we have
    discussed here a lot, recently ;-) ).

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 19, 2005
  6. Jud Hendrix <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:16:49 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You may want to use Winrar. You can find a fix on
    >> www.planetamd64.com for the explorer extensions.

    > With WinRAR 3.5 beta 5, you don't need that fix anymore (as we have
    > discussed here a lot, recently ;-) ).
    >
    > jud

    Right, thanks Jud
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Don Awalt

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Christian Hougardy" <> wrote in message
    > Jud Hendrix <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:16:49 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You may want to use Winrar. You can find a fix on
    >>> www.planetamd64.com for the explorer extensions.

    >> With WinRAR 3.5 beta 5, you don't need that fix anymore (as we have
    >> discussed here a lot, recently ;-) ).
    >>
    >> jud

    > Right, thanks Jud
    > --
    > Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    > Johannesburg - South Africa
    > http://msmvps.com/xpditif
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Even better than WinRAR or WinZip is IZarc...and it's free!!!

    www.izarc.com

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:36:19 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

    >Even better than WinRAR or WinZip is IZarc...and it's free!!!
    >
    >www.izarc.com

    That link didn't work. I found this one:

    http://izarc.sanesecurity.com/

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 20, 2005
  9. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Thanks guys, good info..

    Don Awalt, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Yes, I sent a support message to WInzip about the extensions not working!
    Thanks for your help.

    Don Awalt, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Good. The more who do, the more likely they'll assign the appropriate
    resources.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Thanks.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think they are
    being naive...

    ============================

    Thank you for contacting us. The current 32 bit shell extension DLL is
    ineffective in the 64 bit environment.

    We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
    However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
    adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
    to development.

    Thank you for your feedback.

    =============================

    My reply:

    Thanks. I would just add that given the world is moving to 64 bit, albeit
    slowly with XP x64 just being released (and a server OS available too), I
    would hope that WinZip stays in its position as leader and not follower - do
    you add the support knowing the market is going there, or do you follow with
    a loss of customers who have already left?

    For example, I was a long time Norton Symantec user. They have no support
    for 64 bit. McAfee does. So guess what - I am using McAfee AV now, and I
    won't go back to Norton as I have already invested in my 64 bit platform.
    Even if Norton had announced plans and I had to wait a few months, I
    probably would. But no commitment at all, like WinZip, means I have to move
    on.

    Here's another case a little closer to home - according to the XP x64
    newsgroup, both WinRAR and IZarc support 64 bit. I have not used IZarc, but
    WinRAR is a very good program so you may lose customers that don't come back
    by the time you support 64 bit. My question about whether others saw this
    issue with WinZIP got 10 replies, so you may be in a very dangerous
    predicament assuming most developers are going to contact you about an
    issue - IMHO most will see it does not work, read the forums and find out
    what works, and move on. That's why new technology platforms kill a lot of
    software companies waiting for the world to ask them to move there.

    Good luck, of course I need the support so I will be looking at WinRAR.
    ===============================

    Don Awalt, Jun 20, 2005
  14. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:34:30 -0400, "Don Awalt"
    <> wrote:

    >Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think they are
    >being naive...

    I just e-mailed them as well, to add up the number of requests :)

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 20, 2005
  15. That's the same reply I got, and I agree completely with Don that it's a very
    short sighted answer. Now the answer I got from Vern Buerg, of LIST fame, was
    at least one I could understand and agree with -- he said LIST is written in
    assembler, so porting isn't an option -- he has to do a complete rewrite. And
    that takes time. OK, I'll buy that. Especially from someone who is hardly a
    corporate entitity. And Somehow, I seriously doubt we've have gotten a reply
    like that from WinZIP when it _wasn't_ a corporate entitity, but one guy,
    writing the best little day to day utility out there that was his living.
    Sadly, he sold the business and now we get this sort of non-answer.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2005
  16. Don Awalt

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:58:52 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >That's the same reply I got,

    Me2

    jud
    (let's start a me2-thread)
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 21, 2005
  17. Don Awalt

    Don Awalt Guest

    I agree Charlie - it's not the fact there isn't a product available, it's
    the lack of commitment. If they said "We expect we will have a 64 bit
    version in September" or something, I would happily wait. But how can I
    stay with the product when they won't even commit? They could decide the
    volume doesn't warrant doing a product until 2008 or something, when 64 bit
    is mainstream and on my Mom's desk <g>

    Don Awalt, Jun 21, 2005
  18. Don Awalt

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Jud Hendrix wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:58:52 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>That's the same reply I got,

    > Me2
    >
    > jud