    steve Guest

    Works perfectly with WINE.

    So does Agfa Photowise.

    steve, Feb 12, 2004

  2. steve wrote:
    > Works perfectly with WINE.
    > So does Agfa Photowise.

    cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one anyday.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Works perfectly with WINE. So does Agfa Photowise.

    > cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    > although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one
    > anyday.

    Incidentally, if you know... Is it as fast as it is in windows?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2004
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Works perfectly with WINE.
    >> So does Agfa Photowise.

    > cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    > although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one
    > anyday.

    On Xandros' version of Debian Linux, the archiver / de-archiver is built
    into the Xandros File Manager.......so WinZip is sort of redundant.

    I was also using the Codeweaver Crossover Office version of WINE. It comes
    built into Xandros 2.0 Deluxe version (www.linuxshop.co.nz - $154, I
    think).

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Works perfectly with WINE. So does Agfa Photowise.

    >> cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    >> although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one
    >> anyday.

    > Incidentally, if you know... Is it as fast as it is in windows?

    Appears to be....but I have never run any form of Windows on this PC, so
    it's hard to say for sure.

    AMD Athlon 2800+, MSI DDR400 NForce2 Mobo with 512MB of DDR400 RAM.

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  6. steve

    Rupert Guest

    why are you using all these programs, UNIX has had compress and also most
    platforms I have used have had gunzip on them for years - at least since
    1994 when i first started using HP-UX, SGI and Sun Solaris plaforms

    Rupert, Feb 12, 2004
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Rupert wrote:

    > why are you using all these programs, UNIX has had compress and also most
    > platforms I have used have had gunzip on them for years - at least since
    > 1994 when i first started using HP-UX, SGI and Sun Solaris plaforms

    I'm just trying them to see if they work.

    They do.

    I don't use them. Oh! I do use Photowise. Few programs have as good an
    "auto-fix" photo adjuster as that one.

    It's from 1998, but it's very good.

    GIMP's default 'auto' correction is not good and I don't know how to
    calibrate it.

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Hi there,

    steve wrote:
    > Works perfectly with WINE.
    >
    > So does Agfa Photowise.

    Still don't see why you'd replace something like Ark with an emulated
    Winzip. Ark does ALL compression formats I'm ever likely to encounter,
    and does them at a really insane speed... <grabs largest zip file he can
    find and unzips...>

    There...a 10.6MB zip of a UT2003 level unzips to 22.9MB (including
    writing to disk) in less than a second...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Hi there,

    steve wrote:
    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Works perfectly with WINE.
    >>>So does Agfa Photowise.

    >>cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    >>although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one
    >>anyday.

    > On Xandros' version of Debian Linux, the archiver / de-archiver is built
    > into the Xandros File Manager.......so WinZip is sort of redundant.

    Using Konqueror to browse zip-files is the same. You can enter a zip
    like it was a directory, and then copy/paste/cut/edit etc...while you're
    in there. All rezipping takes place in realtime on my AthlonXP 2500+,
    unless you start dragging in some seriously big files (20-30MB+!)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 12, 2004
  10. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:36:33 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > There...a 10.6MB zip of a UT2003 level unzips to 22.9MB (including
    > writing to disk) in less than a second...

    SPIN, statistics, look

    What power is driving this?
    Now decoding is far faster than encoding
    Is this file slower, and if so by how much under MS Windows?

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2004
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > steve wrote:
    >> Works perfectly with WINE.
    >>
    >> So does Agfa Photowise.

    > Still don't see why you'd replace something like Ark with an emulated
    > Winzip. Ark does ALL compression formats I'm ever likely to encounter,
    > and does them at a really insane speed... <grabs largest zip file he can
    > find and unzips...>

    I agree.

    > There...a 10.6MB zip of a UT2003 level unzips to 22.9MB (including
    > writing to disk) in less than a second...

    Sure.

    But if someone who was thinking of trying Linux can feel some comfort that
    many of hteir most familar, everyday, Windows programs will work fine on
    it, then they may be less reluctant to give it a go.

    Or maybe some Linux user just wan'ts to make password-protected,
    self-extracting executables that can be sent to Windows users who will
    trust them to be virus-free.

    Whatever.

    But like Edmund Hillary, it's mainly just because it's there....and you
    can. :)

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > steve wrote:
    >> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>cool... wine must be getting a heap better since I last played...
    >>>although, I'd raher find a Linux version that a Windows emulated one
    >>>anyday.

    >> On Xandros' version of Debian Linux, the archiver / de-archiver is built
    >> into the Xandros File Manager.......so WinZip is sort of redundant.

    > Using Konqueror to browse zip-files is the same. You can enter a zip
    > like it was a directory, and then copy/paste/cut/edit etc...while you're
    > in there. All rezipping takes place in realtime on my AthlonXP 2500+,
    > unless you start dragging in some seriously big files (20-30MB+!)

    Xandros uses KDE....so I think we're talking about the same thing. I DO like
    to open an archive and just copy/paste the contents to /home/<user>

    :)

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  13. Hi there,

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:36:33 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>There...a 10.6MB zip of a UT2003 level unzips to 22.9MB (including
    >>writing to disk) in less than a second...

    > SPIN, statistics, look

    Begging your pardon?

    > What power is driving this?

    AthlonXP 2500+ with 512MB of DDR33 RAM...not what most would define as
    slow, but still the speed of unzipping never fails to wring a wry one
    from my face...

    > Now decoding is far faster than encoding
    > Is this file slower, and if so by how much under MS Windows?

    Couldn't answer you (lack of Windows being prime reason). I'd
    imagine Winzip could deal to it quite rapidly too...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 13, 2004
  14. Hi there,

    steve wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Works perfectly with WINE.
    >>>
    >>>So does Agfa Photowise.

    >>Still don't see why you'd replace something like Ark with an emulated
    >>Winzip. Ark does ALL compression formats I'm ever likely to encounter,
    >>and does them at a really insane speed... <grabs largest zip file he can
    >>find and unzips...>

    > I agree.

    It might not be as pretty as Winzip, but function is very nice,
    despite the lack of form...

    >>There...a 10.6MB zip of a UT2003 level unzips to 22.9MB (including
    >>writing to disk) in less than a second...

    > Sure.

    Absolutely. Thats with a K7 optimised zip lib...my machine is a bit
    of a grunter in the math department...

    > But if someone who was thinking of trying Linux can feel some comfort that
    > many of hteir most familar, everyday, Windows programs will work fine on
    > it, then they may be less reluctant to give it a go.

    My mind is divided more and more on that debate. More and more I look
    at linux as something people should try if want something *different*
    from Windows...familiarity breeds contempt....

    > Or maybe some Linux user just wan'ts to make password-protected,
    > self-extracting executables that can be sent to Windows users who will
    > trust them to be virus-free.

    A very good example...its not something slated for 'everyday' use by
    the greater populous, but still you're right...that would be a handy
    thing to do for Win-using friends...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 13, 2004