WinXPSP2 fails on 10% of PCs.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:01:36 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > eek..
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
    >
    > Im glad I havent experienced this.
    >
    > ok, so it's not actually *that* bad...
    > "On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue
    > of some degree with SP2,"
    >
    > well whoop-de-do, it's a major update.

    lol - i renember a lot of people saying they wont install it untill its
    been released to the unclean masses for a while.

    have these people installed it yet - i havent.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > eek..
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=

    cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368

    > Im glad I havent experienced this.
    >
    > ok, so it's not actually *that* bad...
    > "On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue
    > of some degree with SP2,"
    >
    > well whoop-de-do, it's a major update.

    So that will only be several million systems.
    steve, Sep 2, 2004
  4. steve wrote:
    >>well whoop-de-do, it's a major update.

    > So that will only be several million systems.

    exactly... not too bad really.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 2, 2004
  5. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > eek..
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
    >
    > Im glad I havent experienced this.
    >
    > ok, so it's not actually *that* bad...
    > "On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue
    > of some degree with SP2,"
    >
    > well whoop-de-do, it's a major update.

    I've seen a couple of machines fail - they were BSODing during startup.
    Some were probably chock full of spyware and bad drivers are also to
    blame. I couldn't even access the recovery console on them so I
    resorted to a reinstall with SP1 slipstreamed.
    wogers nemesis, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rentakill Guest

    One Question ..

    If i was to do a Full Reformat/ Install of WinXp Professional,
    Should i still install SP1 and then SP 2 as part of the Installation , or
    can i just go straight into installing SP2 ?.

    Just thought i would ask, as i'm due to do a Reformatt and install..

    Cheers

    Ren
    Rentakill, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:46:24 +1200, Rentakill wrote:

    > One Question ..
    >
    > If i was to do a Full Reformat/ Install of WinXp Professional, Should i
    > still install SP1 and then SP 2 as part of the Installation , or can i
    > just go straight into installing SP2 ?.
    >
    > Just thought i would ask, as i'm due to do a Reformatt and install..

    Service Packs are cumulative - go straight to SP2.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 2, 2004
  8. "Rentakill" <> wrote in message
    > One Question ..
    >
    > If i was to do a Full Reformat/ Install of WinXp Professional,
    > Should i still install SP1 and then SP 2 as part of the Installation , or
    > can i just go straight into installing SP2 ?.
    >
    > Just thought i would ask, as i'm due to do a Reformatt and install..

    SP2 includes SP1 so you can go straight into installing SP2.

    Another option is to slipstream SP2 into the data from the XP installation
    CD and then burn the resulting ISO image to CD. Using AutoStreamer (
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337 ) makes the task
    pretty damn simple.

    Tony.

    http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com
    The Black Wibble, Sep 2, 2004
  9. "Rentakill" <> wrote in message news:<8lzZc.20832$>...
    > One Question ..
    >
    > If i was to do a Full Reformat/ Install of WinXp Professional,
    > Should i still install SP1 and then SP 2 as part of the Installation , or
    > can i just go straight into installing SP2 ?.

    Just go straight to SP2 no need for SP1, be sure to have the Internet
    Connection Firewall enabled on any network interfaces that are
    connected to untrusted networks before you go from SP0 -> SP2

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Rentakill wrote:
    > One Question ..
    >
    > If i was to do a Full Reformat/ Install of WinXp Professional,
    > Should i still install SP1 and then SP 2 as part of the Installation , or
    > can i just go straight into installing SP2 ?.
    >
    > Just thought i would ask, as i'm due to do a Reformatt and install..
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Ren

    sp1 then sp2

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > eek..
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp
    > /20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
    >
    > Im glad I havent experienced this.
    >
    > ok, so it's not actually *that* bad...
    > "On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue
    > of some degree with SP2,"

    "Or better put, they have the 'opportunity' for an issue to arise."

    I think your subject line is completely misleading, SP2 doesn’t fail on
    many PCs at all.

    I am curious though, the PCs with issues, what issues exactly? Will they
    work OK simply by turning off the firewall?

    I have seen one problem that pissed me off, I couldn’t disable the firewall
    on the LAN connection and enable it for the internet connection like the
    previous one. I guess I’ll have to enable it and figure out how to
    configure the piece of shit. Unless I install ZA or whatever.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 2, 2004
  12. thing wrote:
    > sp1 then sp2

    why?
    SP2 contains all updates that are in SP1 and more...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 2, 2004
  13. MarkH wrote:
    > I think your subject line is completely misleading, SP2 doesn’t fail on
    > many PCs at all.

    I grabbed it from the article, but I see that it has since changed.

    > I am curious though, the PCs with issues, what issues exactly? Will they
    > work OK simply by turning off the firewall?

    from what I have seen, yeah.

    > I have seen one problem that pissed me off, I couldn’t disable the firewall
    > on the LAN connection and enable it for the internet connection like the
    > previous one. I guess I’ll have to enable it and figure out how to
    > configure the piece of shit. Unless I install ZA or whatever.

    errr, it's pretty easy, or atleast it was when I did it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 2, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dogg Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:16:33 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >sp1 then sp2

    Nope
    Dogg, Sep 3, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> sp1 then sp2

    > why?
    > SP2 contains all updates that are in SP1 and more...

    Just repeating the advice I found on it.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 3, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> I have seen one problem that pissed me off, I couldn’t disable the
    >> firewall on the LAN connection and enable it for the internet
    >> connection like the previous one. I guess I’ll have to enable it and
    >> figure out how to configure the piece of shit. Unless I install ZA
    >> or whatever.

    > errr, it's pretty easy, or atleast it was when I did it.

    I’ll have to try it on another machine then. On the PC I tried I turned
    off the firewall for the LAN and it turned itself off for both LAN and
    Internet. When I turned it on for the internet it turned on for the LAN
    too.

    I really didn’t have time to play with it as I was on the clock at a
    customers site.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 3, 2004
  17. MarkH <> wrote in message news:<dMLZc.626701$>...
    > I have seen one problem that pissed me off, I couldn?t disable the firewall
    > on the LAN connection and enable it for the internet connection like the
    > previous one. I guess I?ll have to enable it and figure out how to
    > configure the piece of shit. Unless I install ZA or whatever.

    Try the advanced tab of the Windows Firewall settings
    go to network connections, click change windows firewall settings
    (under network tasks)
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 4, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    MarkH Guest

    (Nathan Mercer) wrote in

    > MarkH <> wrote in message
    >> I have seen one problem that pissed me off, I couldn?t disable the
    >> firewall on the LAN connection and enable it for the internet
    >> connection like the previous one. I guess I?ll have to enable it and
    >> figure out how to configure the piece of shit. Unless I install ZA
    >> or whatever.

    > Try the advanced tab of the Windows Firewall settings
    > go to network connections, click change windows firewall settings
    > (under network tasks)

    Sweet, thanks.

    Whenever MS changes something I have to find where some useful option has
    now moved to.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz