    It was there before I formatted C: & reinstalled windows..............
    I have tried all the usual remove reinstall etc
    Running Winxp Sp1 Home Edition
    Kim Krueger, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Kim Krueger

    philo Guest

    "Kim Krueger" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:O9jd.31799$...
    > I can't see the second hard drive in "My Computer"
    > If I go to device manager it appears there I tells me it is working
    > properly
    > It was there before I formatted C: & reinstalled windows..............
    > I have tried all the usual remove reinstall etc
    > Running Winxp Sp1 Home Edition

    use disk management to assign it a drive letter
    philo, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Kim Krueger

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:40:06 -0500, "Kim Krueger" <>
    wrote:

    >I can't see the second hard drive in "My Computer"
    >If I go to device manager it appears there I tells me it is working
    >properly
    >It was there before I formatted C: & reinstalled windows..............
    >I have tried all the usual remove reinstall etc
    >Running Winxp Sp1 Home Edition

    HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in
    Windows XP
    This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit
    Logical Block
    Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can
    increase the
    capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=

    Windows XP - Drive "C" - - IDE-1, set as Master
    New Drive (example is 120GB) IDE-2, set as Master

    1 - Boot computer, enter BIOS, make SURE new drive's been seen correctly, boot
    normally.
    2 - Right click "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management"
    3 - Look for listing "Drive 1" (Drive 0 is your WinXP Drive C:)
    4 - Right-click the Button "Disk 1 Unknown xxx.xx GB Not Initialized", Select
    "Initialize Disk"
    5 - Right-click the window area that says "xxx.x GB" with "Unallocated" under
    it, and
    6 - Select "New Partition". The Setup Wizard pops-up, click Next.
    7 - Select "Primary Partition", click Next.
    8 - Select "Partition Size", accept Default (the whole thing), click Next.
    9 - "Assign Following Drive Letter", accept Default, accept Default Volume Name,
    click Next.
    10 - "Format this Partition"; "File System", accept Default [NTFS],
    "Allocation Size", accept Default, and check the box, "Perform Quick
    Format",
    and click Next, then "Finish". NOW WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE.
    11 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it and now the window says,
    "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    "Healthy"
    12 - Right-click the window again and select "Mark Partition as Active"
    13 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it but now the window says,
    "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    "Healthy (Active)"
    14 - That's it, you're done. Drive (D:) is ready for data, an OS, or a backup of
    your Drive (C:).

    Start to finish on a new 120 GB drive takes less than 10 minutes if you "Quick
    Format" it and it's hours if you "Full Format" it.
    Change the defaults to your liking, and your mileage may vary.
    Unk, Nov 6, 2004