    dbixby Guest

    Would there be any great advantage in going to a 64 bit system as long as my
    machine is 64 bit compatible?
    dbixby, Mar 22, 2006

  2. dbixby

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    dbixby spewed forth:
    > Would there be any great advantage in going to a 64 bit system as
    > long as my machine is 64 bit compatible?

    From what I've read, not really. I've installed XP Home on two 64 bit
    systems recently, and they run excellent.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Mar 22, 2006

  3. dbixby

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-03-22, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > dbixby spewed forth:
    >> Would there be any great advantage in going to a 64 bit system as
    >> long as my machine is 64 bit compatible?

    > From what I've read, not really. I've installed XP Home on two 64 bit
    > systems recently, and they run excellent.

    What have YOU read? XP Home is only running in 32 bit mode.
    Jimchip, Mar 22, 2006
  4. dbixby

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:59:32 -0500, dbixby wrote:

    > Would there be any great advantage in going to a 64 bit system as long as my
    > machine is 64 bit compatible?

    No.

    Meat Plow, Mar 22, 2006
  5. dbixby

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Jimchip spewed forth:
    > On 2006-03-22, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> dbixby spewed forth:
    >>> Would there be any great advantage in going to a 64 bit system as
    >>> long as my machine is 64 bit compatible?

    >> From what I've read, not really. I've installed XP Home on two 64 bit
    >> systems recently, and they run excellent.

    > What have YOU read? XP Home is only running in 32 bit mode.

    Quite. But until there are 64 bit APPS out there, it makes no significant
    difference.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 23, 2006
  6. dbixby

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-03-23, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Jimchip spewed forth:
    >> On 2006-03-22, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >>> In news:,
    >>> dbixby spewed forth:
    >>>
    >>> From what I've read, not really. I've installed XP Home on two 64 bit
    >>> systems recently, and they run excellent.

    >> What have YOU read? XP Home is only running in 32 bit mode.

    > Quite. But until there are 64 bit APPS out there, it makes no significant
    > difference.

    http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
    but I understand what you are saying for the Windows side. I think one can
    download the Microsoft 64 bit beta for free from MS...I don't know what beta
    apps might be lurking around.

    --
    and Vista is postponed until 2007 for the masses.
    Jimchip, Mar 23, 2006