WinXP wireless problems in ad-hoc mode

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by whiz, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. whiz

    whiz Guest

    I have a desktop and notebook that I want to share file between them
    and for the notebook to use the printer which is connected to the
    desktop. Both are running Windows XP Home edition SP1, running Avast
    Antivirus. Both have Zone Alarm installed for internet firewall, but,
    the desktop is the one only running. The desktop is using a wireless
    keyboard and mouse and have Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter, WMP54G v4,
    installed. The notebook has Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter, WPC54G
    v2. Both adapters are configured with the same SSID, WEP, and are in
    ad-hoc mode. I use Windows to configure the desktop adapter and see no
    way of setting a channel. The notebook is configured using the Linksys
    software and is set to a certain channel. Latest drivers are installed.
    Both computers have a different computer name and belong to the same
    workgroup. There are two problems. One, with the desktop on and after
    the notebook boots up, both computers shows they are connected to the
    network. Then, the notebook will cycle between network available and
    unavailable every 3 seconds. The desktop will show network unavailable
    only. Problem two, if I do get a stable connection, the desktop can see
    both computers on the network, but, the notebook does not see any
    computers, even itself. There are error messages about not having
    permission accessing the workgroup. Any suggestions to fix the two
    problems?
    whiz, Jan 22, 2005