    network.

    Regards
    ajith

    ajivk979, Nov 14, 2007

  2. ajivk979

    John R Guest

    "ajivk979" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am an MCSE Certified desktop support engineer
    > and
    > I need your help to update my windows xp professional pc. I have three
    > Computers with me and are networked. I have one of my pc connected with
    > internet
    > And I do the windows xp updating through the internet in one pc.How can
    > update my
    > remaining two computers through the windows updated computer using
    > network.
    >
    > Regards
    > ajith

    First off, to answer your question, windows XP cannot be used as a windows
    update server, you need a server product like 2003 to do that. You can use
    XP ICS to allow your other computers to reach the Internet through one
    machine, and from there they can hit the normal windows update servers.
    Instead of ICS, I would recommend that you simply get a cable/dsl router if
    you have broadband access, and use that to access your Internet connection
    from all of your computers.

    Now, you say you're an "MCSE Certified desktop support engineer". Well,
    let's see, I'm an MCSE, and I'm also a MCDST, but I've never heard of an
    MCSECDSE. That's pretty cool!

    John R

    John R, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Well I'm an MCSETSITPDBADSTSANetwork with Security and Messagin
    specializations.....amoung other things

    --
    ..rev

    accepting it"
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Nov 14, 2007
  4. ajivk979

    John R Guest

    "The Rev [MCT]" <> wrote in message
    > Well I'm an MCSETSITPDBADSTSANetwork with Security and Messagin
    > specializations.....amoung other things
    >
    > --
    > .rev
    >
    > "It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought
    > without
    > accepting it"
    > ~Aristotle
    > .
    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ajivk979" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am an MCSE Certified desktop support engineer
    >>> and
    >>> I need your help to update my windows xp professional pc. I have three
    >>> Computers with me and are networked. I have one of my pc connected
    >>> with
    >>> internet
    >>> And I do the windows xp updating through the internet in one pc.How
    >>> can I
    >>> update my
    >>> remaining two computers through the windows updated computer using
    >>> network.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> ajith
    >>>

    >> First off, to answer your question, windows XP cannot be used as a
    >> windows update server, you need a server product like 2003 to do that.
    >> You can use XP ICS to allow your other computers to reach the Internet
    >> through one machine, and from there they can hit the normal windows
    >> update servers. Instead of ICS, I would recommend that you simply get a
    >> cable/dsl router if you have broadband access, and use that to access
    >> your Internet connection from all of your computers.
    >>
    >> Now, you say you're an "MCSE Certified desktop support engineer". Well,
    >> let's see, I'm an MCSE, and I'm also a MCDST, but I've never heard of an
    >> MCSECDSE. That's pretty cool!
    >>
    >> John R

    lol Rev.

    My (maybe too) subtle point was that I've never heard of a desktop support
    engineer. I've heard of (and I am) a desktop support technician, and I've
    heard (and I am) an MCSE. However, if he was either of those, don't you
    think by now he would be able to correctly state what cert he has, and that
    he would have heard of ICS? Maybe I am over-simplifying things, it's hard
    to tell based on his original post.

    John R

    John R, Nov 14, 2007
  5. no no I got your point, I was just making my joke to the point as well. I
    tried not to add all my certs in it but I do agree with you

    --
    ..rev

    accepting it"
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Nov 14, 2007
  6. ajivk979

    ajivk979 Guest

    i am aji , the guy who posted an thread regarding winxp updation

    in 3 pcs.but it turned out to be a certificate issue.i am MCSE and working
    as desktop support engineer (u cal desktop support technician ,may b more
    specific and meaningful).

    sorry for confusing u all. I am just a beginner.i want to know whether i can
    update my xp

    offline. i mean through any file which resides in already updated winxp
    machine.

    i dont want to spend my internet connectivity to all three machines (which
    is very expensive

    for poor technicians like us in india).

    thanks

    ajivk979, Nov 15, 2007
  7. ajivk979

    John R Guest

    "ajivk979" <> wrote in message
    >i am aji , the guy who posted an thread regarding winxp updation
    >
    > in 3 pcs.but it turned out to be a certificate issue.i am MCSE and
    > working
    > as desktop support engineer (u cal desktop support technician ,may b
    > more
    > specific and meaningful).
    >
    > sorry for confusing u all. I am just a beginner.i want to know whether i
    > can
    > update my xp
    >
    > offline. i mean through any file which resides in already updated winxp
    > machine.
    >
    > i dont want to spend my internet connectivity to all three machines (which
    > is very expensive
    >
    > for poor technicians like us in india).
    >

    > thanks

    Like I said originally, you cannot use an XP box as a windows update server,
    you need a server product like 2003 to push updates to machines. You can
    setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of your machines and allow
    the other machines to connect to the Internet through it's connection so
    they can hit the windows update servers. Or, you can use a router to share
    the connection. Either solution would not incur any additional fees from
    your ISP, but the router might cost a little bit to purchase (about $50 in
    the US).

    To my knowledge, there is no way to "pull" an installed update from one
    machine to be installed on another.

    If you are talking strictly about office updates, if the office update is
    directly downloadable where you can 'save' the file to your system, then you
    could put that file in a shared folder on one machine and then pull it to
    the other computers.

    John R

    John R, Nov 15, 2007
  8. OK. This is an interesting question coming from an MCSE. I'm sure
    somewhere in your training you've heard of ICS (Internet Connection
    Sharing). I suggest researching this and applying it in your senerio.

    --
    David J. Carmack

    David J. Carmack, Dec 2, 2007