    to feed users anyway?
    *
    Does this mean i have to start over from scratch?

    Robert Baer, Feb 26, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    > Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    > BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning
    > squares along near-bottom "bar".
    > After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still
    > runs, the computer is in effect off.
    > WTH??
    > How can this be fixed?
    > *
    > Note booting with install CD, that at some point see a note Press F2
    > for Automated Repair.
    > So, try that and it asks for "the Automated Repair floppy".
    > What the hell is that? NO such thinggie. What kind of BS is M$ trying
    > to feed users anyway?
    > *
    > Does this mean i have to start over from scratch?

    Well, it turns out ASR isn't what I thought it was.
    Is the procedure on this web page complicated enough ?
    It looks like a "restore from backup", not a repair of boot.ini and friends.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-xp/wxppasr.html

    I've never made an ASR floppy, and now I know why.

    *******

    I recommend a test of hardware first. Some candidates to
    determine basic system health.

    1) Memtest86+ floppy

    The fact the memtest even runs for a couple hours,
    proves the power supply isn't dead, CRT works, and so on.
    It's something the machine can do, while you're building
    confidence that it isn't broken.

    2) Linux LiveCD.

    This proves it is a computer too, only without needing the
    services of a working hard drive. All that has to work, is
    the CD/DVD drive, and a good quantity of RAM. You boot from
    the CD, the software runs off the CD, RAM is used for a small
    portion of (temporary) file system.

    If you know some Linux, there are undoubtedly a few other
    tests you can try.

    For example, here, you can get a Linux version of Prime95 and
    run the Prime95 torture test. That'll test RAM and processor
    from a Linux terminal screen.

    On modern Linux distros, the hard part, is finding the
    terminal. With the newer (tablet-looking) interfaces,
    try typing "terminal" and see if an icon for it, appears
    on the screen. The days of "boring" menus on Linux, is
    half behind us, so now we're stuck with Metro-like
    interfaces (so both Windows and Linux are screwed up).

    You can find distros, that aren't quite as annoying as
    that. Something like Knoppix, is spartan but usable.

    Pick a site from here.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    Example of a file to download from one of those mirror sites.

    KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN.iso 21-Dec-2012 18:29 697M

    For fun, I'm going to download that in a second and test it.
    They usually work, but it's always nice to see it working.

    At 697MB, this is not something you'd try with dialup networking.
    That's something like 35 hours worth of dialup downloading.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 26, 2013

  3. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > terminal. With the newer (tablet-looking) interfaces,
    > try typing "terminal" and see if an icon for it, appears
    > on the screen. The days of "boring" menus on Linux, is
    > half behind us, so now we're stuck with Metro-like
    > interfaces (so both Windows and Linux are screwed up).
    >
    > You can find distros, that aren't quite as annoying as
    > that. Something like Knoppix, is spartan but usable.
    >
    > Pick a site from here.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    >
    > Example of a file to download from one of those mirror sites.
    >
    > KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN.iso 21-Dec-2012 18:29 697M
    >
    > For fun, I'm going to download that in a second and test it.
    > They usually work, but it's always nice to see it working.
    >
    > At 697MB, this is not something you'd try with dialup networking.
    > That's something like 35 hours worth of dialup downloading.

    I happened to have a 7.0.4 Knoppix, and this is what it
    looks like when booted. It still has the traditional menus
    at the bottom left. Perfectly good for testing that a computer
    has working hardware. Only needs an optical drive.

    http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8716/knopp704.gif

    On some distros, you can even load them on a USB key and boot that
    way. I keep a Ubuntu distro on a USB key, so I don't even need
    a CD. (It's not my every day OS, but is useful for the odd
    job.) Ubuntu has lost the traditional menus, which is why I
    can't really be seen promoting it. While tile concepts are
    mildly amusing, for new users they're a PITA and not
    the best way to introduce something new. More people
    are likely to understand menus. When your computer is broken,
    is not the time to be trying to decipher how to work a GUI
    interface.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 26, 2013
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    >> Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    >> BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning
    >> squares along near-bottom "bar".
    >> After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still
    >> runs, the computer is in effect off.
    >> WTH??
    >> How can this be fixed?
    >> *
    >> Note booting with install CD, that at some point see a note Press F2
    >> for Automated Repair.
    >> So, try that and it asks for "the Automated Repair floppy".
    >> What the hell is that? NO such thinggie. What kind of BS is M$ trying
    >> to feed users anyway?
    >> *
    >> Does this mean i have to start over from scratch?

    > Well, it turns out ASR isn't what I thought it was.
    > Is the procedure on this web page complicated enough ?
    > It looks like a "restore from backup", not a repair of boot.ini and
    > friends.
    >
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-xp/wxppasr.html
    >
    > I've never made an ASR floppy, and now I know why.

    * Oh..this is a REAL TREAT (not).
    One must have a backup to begin with; not too swift as if i had a
    backup it would be a copy and thus no problem.
    And it becomes absurd; it proceeds to WIPE OUT the installation
    before any "recovery" actions.
    Wonderful!

    > *******
    >
    > I recommend a test of hardware first. Some candidates to
    > determine basic system health.
    >
    > 1) Memtest86+ floppy
    >
    > The fact the memtest even runs for a couple hours,
    > proves the power supply isn't dead, CRT works, and so on.
    > It's something the machine can do, while you're building
    > confidence that it isn't broken.
    >
    > 2) Linux LiveCD.
    >
    > This proves it is a computer too, only without needing the
    > services of a working hard drive. All that has to work, is
    > the CD/DVD drive, and a good quantity of RAM. You boot from
    > the CD, the software runs off the CD, RAM is used for a small
    > portion of (temporary) file system.
    >
    > If you know some Linux, there are undoubtedly a few other
    > tests you can try.
    >
    > For example, here, you can get a Linux version of Prime95 and
    > run the Prime95 torture test. That'll test RAM and processor
    > from a Linux terminal screen.
    >
    > On modern Linux distros, the hard part, is finding the
    > terminal. With the newer (tablet-looking) interfaces,
    > try typing "terminal" and see if an icon for it, appears
    > on the screen. The days of "boring" menus on Linux, is
    > half behind us, so now we're stuck with Metro-like
    > interfaces (so both Windows and Linux are screwed up).
    >
    > You can find distros, that aren't quite as annoying as
    > that. Something like Knoppix, is spartan but usable.
    >
    > Pick a site from here.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    >
    > Example of a file to download from one of those mirror sites.
    >
    > KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN.iso 21-Dec-2012 18:29 697M
    >
    > For fun, I'm going to download that in a second and test it.
    > They usually work, but it's always nice to see it working.
    >
    > At 697MB, this is not something you'd try with dialup networking.
    > That's something like 35 hours worth of dialup downloading.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks.

    Robert Baer, Feb 26, 2013
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    >> Paul

    > I happened to have a 7.0.4 Knoppix, and this is what it
    > looks like when booted. It still has the traditional menus
    > at the bottom left. Perfectly good for testing that a computer
    > has working hardware. Only needs an optical drive.
    >
    > http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8716/knopp704.gif
    >
    > On some distros, you can even load them on a USB key and boot that
    > way. I keep a Ubuntu distro on a USB key, so I don't even need
    > a CD. (It's not my every day OS, but is useful for the odd
    > job.) Ubuntu has lost the traditional menus, which is why I
    > can't really be seen promoting it. While tile concepts are
    > mildly amusing, for new users they're a PITA and not
    > the best way to introduce something new. More people
    > are likely to understand menus. When your computer is broken,
    > is not the time to be trying to decipher how to work a GUI

    Check.

    Robert Baer, Feb 26, 2013
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: WinXP turns off..almost!

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    > Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    > BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning squares
    > along near-bottom "bar".
    > After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still runs,
    > the computer is in effect off.

    ...Well, almost off.
    NO signal to the CRT.
    But the HD is quite busy for a while, then rests, then busy, rest, 3
    or 4 times.
    So _something_ is going on.
    Putting the HD on another computer,the files are all there and look
    to be complete (names and sizes).
    For ducks, added AUTOEXEC.BAT and AUTOEXEC.NT with ECHO ON and
    comments and pauses and DIR before the last PAUSE.
    Well, M$ in its infinite wizDUMB lied as to use of those files: the
    ..BAT is good ONLY for OSes up to and including Win98SE and NO OS uses
    the .NT file.

    So, need a way to (interactively?) trace OR log what is going on; log
    methinks can be written to the HD C:\IRMA.LOG or something recognizable.
    Ideas?

    Robert Baer, Feb 28, 2013
  7. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Re: WinXP turns off..almost!

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    >> Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    >> BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning squares
    >> along near-bottom "bar".
    >> After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still runs,
    >> the computer is in effect off.

    > ..Well, almost off.
    > NO signal to the CRT.
    > But the HD is quite busy for a while, then rests, then busy, rest, 3
    > or 4 times.
    > So _something_ is going on.
    > Putting the HD on another computer,the files are all there and look to
    > be complete (names and sizes).
    > For ducks, added AUTOEXEC.BAT and AUTOEXEC.NT with ECHO ON and
    > comments and pauses and DIR before the last PAUSE.
    > Well, M$ in its infinite wizDUMB lied as to use of those files: the
    > .BAT is good ONLY for OSes up to and including Win98SE and NO OS uses
    > the .NT file.
    >
    > So, need a way to (interactively?) trace OR log what is going on; log
    > methinks can be written to the HD C:\IRMA.LOG or something recognizable.
    > Ideas?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    "Safe Mode - Enable boot logging

    This option turns on logging when the computer is started
    with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration.

    The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the
    %SystemRoot% folder."

    You press F8 at startup, to get into Safe Mode.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 28, 2013
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: WinXP turns off..almost!

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    >>> Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    >>> BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning squares
    >>> along near-bottom "bar".
    >>> After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still runs,
    >>> the computer is in effect off.

    >> ..Well, almost off.
    >> NO signal to the CRT.
    >> But the HD is quite busy for a while, then rests, then busy, rest, 3
    >> or 4 times.
    >> So _something_ is going on.
    >> Putting the HD on another computer,the files are all there and look to
    >> be complete (names and sizes).
    >> For ducks, added AUTOEXEC.BAT and AUTOEXEC.NT with ECHO ON and
    >> comments and pauses and DIR before the last PAUSE.
    >> Well, M$ in its infinite wizDUMB lied as to use of those files: the
    >> .BAT is good ONLY for OSes up to and including Win98SE and NO OS uses
    >> the .NT file.
    >>
    >> So, need a way to (interactively?) trace OR log what is going on; log
    >> methinks can be written to the HD C:\IRMA.LOG or something recognizable.
    >> Ideas?

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
    >
    > "Safe Mode - Enable boot logging
    >
    > This option turns on logging when the computer is started
    > with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration.
    >
    > The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the
    > %SystemRoot% folder."
    >
    > You press F8 at startup, to get into Safe Mode.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Only "Safe Mode" and "Boot logging" puts info into that .TXT file;
    "Safe Mode" does not write much and only a few items are not loaded.
    However.........."Boot Logging" writes about ten times as much and
    most of it is "not loaded" junk with a LOT of duplicate entries.
    Will wipe the drive and start over, as there is no clue as to the
    cause of the problem.

    Robert Baer, Mar 3, 2013
  9. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Re: WinXP turns off..almost!

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> ..Well, almost off.
    >>> NO signal to the CRT.
    >>> But the HD is quite busy for a while, then rests, then busy, rest, 3
    >>> or 4 times.
    >>> So _something_ is going on.
    >>> Putting the HD on another computer,the files are all there and look to
    >>> be complete (names and sizes).
    >>> For ducks, added AUTOEXEC.BAT and AUTOEXEC.NT with ECHO ON and
    >>> comments and pauses and DIR before the last PAUSE.
    >>> Well, M$ in its infinite wizDUMB lied as to use of those files: the
    >>> .BAT is good ONLY for OSes up to and including Win98SE and NO OS uses
    >>> the .NT file.
    >>>
    >>> So, need a way to (interactively?) trace OR log what is going on; log
    >>> methinks can be written to the HD C:\IRMA.LOG or something recognizable.
    >>> Ideas?

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
    >>
    >> "Safe Mode - Enable boot logging
    >>
    >> This option turns on logging when the computer is started
    >> with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration.
    >>
    >> The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the
    >> %SystemRoot% folder."
    >>
    >> You press F8 at startup, to get into Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Paul

    > Only "Safe Mode" and "Boot logging" puts info into that .TXT file;
    > "Safe Mode" does not write much and only a few items are not loaded.
    > However.........."Boot Logging" writes about ten times as much and
    > most of it is "not loaded" junk with a LOT of duplicate entries.
    > Will wipe the drive and start over, as there is no clue as to the
    > cause of the problem.

    You're supposed to tell me, what the last item in Ntbtlog.txt is :)

    And it's not the last item that is the failing one. It's the one
    after it, which died before a log entry could be written.

    Using the last entry, you Google that, then look for hints as to
    what might have come after it.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 3, 2013
  10. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Start: line power off (physical power bar switch; true off).
    > Turn on power bar, push power "switch" on computer, computer powers up.
    > BIOS goes thru its thing, see Windows "logo" with green scanning squares
    > along near-bottom "bar".
    > After a little while, CRT goes off and even tho computer fan still runs,
    > the computer is in effect off.
    > WTH??
    > How can this be fixed?
    > *
    > Note booting with install CD, that at some point see a note Press F2 for
    > Automated Repair.
    > So, try that and it asks for "the Automated Repair floppy".
    > What the hell is that? NO such thinggie. What kind of BS is M$ trying to
    > feed users anyway?
    > *
    > Does this mean i have to start over from scratch?

    Dump the power strip and try again.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 3, 2013
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: WinXP turns off..almost!

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
    >>>
    >>> "Safe Mode - Enable boot logging
    >>>
    >>> This option turns on logging when the computer is started
    >>> with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration.
    >>>
    >>> The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the
    >>> %SystemRoot% folder."
    >>>
    >>> You press F8 at startup, to get into Safe Mode.
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>> Paul

    >> Only "Safe Mode" and "Boot logging" puts info into that .TXT file;
    >> "Safe Mode" does not write much and only a few items are not loaded.
    >> However.........."Boot Logging" writes about ten times as much and
    >> most of it is "not loaded" junk with a LOT of duplicate entries.
    >> Will wipe the drive and start over, as there is no clue as to the
    >> cause of the problem.
    >>

    > You're supposed to tell me, what the last item in Ntbtlog.txt is :)
    >
    > And it's not the last item that is the failing one. It's the one
    > after it, which died before a log entry could be written.
    >
    > Using the last entry, you Google that, then look for hints as to
    > what might have come after it.
    >
    > Paul

    Too late now..Have it re-loaded via the R / repair option offered
    during first part of install procedure.
    That option _looks_ like one is starting from scratch, even the
    product serial # is required. But all programs and data are retained (nice).
    Now when have the time i will have to power it up with an internet
    connection, update Avast! and do a full scan of the computer.

    Robert Baer, Mar 4, 2013