winxp to join win98 network - problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Sean Cleary, May 13, 2006.

  1. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Hi,
    I have often found good advice from this group. I am hoping for some
    now.

    I have a new laptop. It has WinXP on it.
    I have a 2 computer and a switch win98 network. I can not see the WinXp
    machine; it can not see me when it I try.
    I have the workgroups all named the same.
    I may have changed some setting or other that will prevent me from
    networking.
    I have all the gateway settings and port settings at variations on
    192.1681.x where x is 1&2 for the older machines and 3 for the LAN 1394
    connection. I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated LAN connection
    that has an address of 192.168.0.1.

    I really do not know which of these two connections is attached to the
    J45 jack, and thereby to the cable to the switch.

    The Broadcom connection said that it is repaired. The 1394 connection
    said that TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection.

    I have modified the 98 machines to have gateways that could use the
    addresses of either LAN.

    I do not have a network cert., and only completed half of A+ long ago.
    XP is mostly new to me

    I have tried pinging, I have made a *.bat file that will do that from
    dos on the 98 machines. No response.

    Please help,
    Sean

    Sean Cleary, May 13, 2006

  2. Sean Cleary

    Shade Guest

    Sean,
    Try this I find it fixes 98 and XP networking issues.

    Install NetBEUI on Windows XP
    The files that you need for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows
    XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. To install NetBEUI, follow these steps:
    1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive and then locate
    the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    2. Copy the Nbf.sys file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers folder.
    3. Copy the Netnbf.inf file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden folder.

    Note To make a hidden folder viewable, follow these steps:

    a. Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then click OK.
    b. Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    c. Under Advanced Settings, click to select Show hidden files and
    folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network
    Connections.
    5. Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click
    Properties.
    6. On the General tab, click Install.
    7. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    8. Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    9. Restart your computer if you are prompted to do this.
    The NetBEUI protocol is now installed and working.

    Shade, May 13, 2006

  3. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    I will make the changes:
    First 255.255.0.0
    later maybe NetBeui. Thank you for the detailed instructions on how to
    do this.
    Actually all 3 computers have USB ports, and I have fastlynx on the two
    98 machines.
    Should I change the '98 machines to 255.255.0.0 from 255.255.255.0? or
    should I just assign addresses that are sequential in the last hex-like
    digit?

    Sean Cleary, May 13, 2006
  4. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Changed all systems to 255.255.0.0. The win98 machines stopped talking
    to each other.
    Changed just XP to that, changed 98 back, gave sequencial addresses of
    192.168.1.x where x-1,2,3,4. 1&2 are the two 98 machines, 3&4 are
    resources on the XP machine. 1,2,4 now respond to mutual pings. (now
    have a bat file on each machine for this).

    Still XP does not show up on the 98 net.
    I now have the MS-DOS prompt on the desktop of the XP machine.
    Where can I find the equivalent of network neighborhood on XP?
    I have posted this plee elsewhere, and they recommended NetB. I may go
    there.
    Thank you in advance,
    Sean

    Sean Cleary, May 14, 2006
  5. Verify that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on the XP computer, that the
    Windows Firewall is disabled assuming it will not put the computer at risk
    until the problem is resolved, that Client for Microsoft Networks and file
    and print sharing are enabled on the XP computer, and that the server and
    workstation services are started on it as shown using services.msc to view
    services and their properties.

    If you run the command ipconfig /all on the XP computer it will tell you if
    netbios over tcp/ip is disabled. When you run the command nbtstat -n on the
    XP computer you should see at least three entries for registered names. Also
    realize that the list in My Network Places does not populate immediately and
    can take maybe up to an hour so shutting down and rebooting computers a lot
    can disrupt the process however if you have file and print sharing access to
    a computer you should also be able to access it by entering \\computername
    or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the run box of the computer you are trying to access
    from where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the actual IP address of the computer with the
    share. If the XP computer is XP Pro it is possible for security options like
    SMB signing to be configured so that a Windows 98 computer can not access
    it's file shares though that is not the default configuration. I also
    believe there can be a problem if the computer name or share name for the XP
    computer is too long. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, May 14, 2006
  6. Sean Cleary

    Patty Guest

    On 12 May 2006 21:18:56 -0700, Sean Cleary wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have often found good advice from this group. I am hoping for some
    > now.
    >
    > I have a new laptop. It has WinXP on it.
    > I have a 2 computer and a switch win98 network. I can not see the WinXp
    > machine; it can not see me when it I try.
    > I have the workgroups all named the same.
    > I may have changed some setting or other that will prevent me from
    > networking.
    > I have all the gateway settings and port settings at variations on
    > 192.1681.x where x is 1&2 for the older machines and 3 for the LAN 1394
    > connection. I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated LAN connection
    > that has an address of 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > I really do not know which of these two connections is attached to the
    > J45 jack, and thereby to the cable to the switch.
    >
    > The Broadcom connection said that it is repaired. The 1394 connection
    > said that TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection.
    >
    > I have modified the 98 machines to have gateways that could use the
    > addresses of either LAN.
    >
    > I do not have a network cert., and only completed half of A+ long ago.
    > XP is mostly new to me
    >
    > I have tried pinging, I have made a *.bat file that will do that from
    > dos on the 98 machines. No response.
    >
    > Please help,
    > Sean

    I have 4 computers sharing a home network using a router. One is Windows
    98SE, one is Windows ME and two are Windows XP Pro. They all use
    255.255.255.0 for the mask. You need to make sure that file and printer
    sharing are enabled on all machines for them to see each other. They all
    need to use the same Workgroup name. They all need to have the same
    protocol installed, use TCP/IP. If you have XP Pro on the laptop, you can
    try enabling simple file sharing just to see if you can make the connection
    that way. You said your broadband LAN is using 192.168.0.1 for an IP
    address so your other systems should use consective IP addresses such as
    192.168.0.2; 192.168.0.3; etc. I'm not familiar with switches, but my
    router has DHCP enabled and it sets the IP addresses automatically for all
    the systems on the network.

    The LAN 1394 is your firewire and you need not be concerned with that.

    Good luck.

    Patty

    Patty, May 14, 2006