WinXP to DOS mode?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    LO ALL

    O/s = WinXP

    PC came with WinXP already installed.

    Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to re
    format my hard drive.

    Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.

    Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.

    Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight into
    my desktop.

    So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    went straight to my desktop.

    So ..... 1st question:-

    1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode

    Then having reformatted my hard drive......

    Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where there
    is an winXP set-up option.

    Your help, as always, will be much appreciated

    anOLDun, Mar 20, 2005

  2. "anOLDun" <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote in message
    > LO ALL
    >
    > O/s = WinXP
    >
    > PC came with WinXP already installed.
    >
    > Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to

    re
    > format my hard drive.
    >
    > Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.
    >
    > Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    > floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.
    >
    > Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight into
    > my desktop.
    >
    > So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    > went straight to my desktop.
    >
    > So ..... 1st question:-
    >
    > 1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode
    >
    > Then having reformatted my hard drive......
    >
    > Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    > install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where there
    > is an winXP set-up option.
    >

    > Your help, as always, will be much appreciated

    hi
    to get the comp to boot on the disks you have to go into the bios first and
    chang the first bootup option to cdrom
    then put the 1st disk in the drive and restart the computer

    another way (if your compe allows it) is to boot into network mode..
    this you can find out by watching you screen closely whilst booting up..when
    you get the black screen saying CHECKING RAM or checking memory look for a
    bit that says about pressing a key for network boot
    www.bigun.serverbox.org, Mar 20, 2005

  3. anOLDun wrote:
    > LO ALL
    >
    > O/s = WinXP
    >
    > PC came with WinXP already installed.
    >
    > Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to re
    > format my hard drive.
    >
    > Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.
    >
    > Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    > floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.
    >
    > Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight into
    > my desktop.
    >
    > So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    > went straight to my desktop.
    >
    > So ..... 1st question:-
    >
    > 1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode
    >
    > Then having reformatted my hard drive......
    >
    > Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    > install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where there
    > is an winXP set-up option.
    >

    > Your help, as always, will be much appreciated

    What brand is this PC? Recovery disks from different companies behave
    differently, but many have a program that you begin the process from
    within Windows. If it's a BrandX computer, look in your Start menu > All
    programs for BrandX utilities, or recovery, etc. If this isn't the case,
    as bigun said, on startup go into your BIOS and set the first boot
    device to CDROM. Start up again with disk 1 of your recovery disks.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 20, 2005
  4. anOLDun

    Ron Martell Guest

    "anOLDun" <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote:

    >LO ALL
    >
    >O/s = WinXP
    >
    >PC came with WinXP already installed.
    >
    >Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to re
    >format my hard drive.
    >
    >Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.
    >
    >Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    >floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.
    >
    >Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight into
    >my desktop.
    >
    >So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    >went straight to my desktop.
    >
    >So ..... 1st question:-
    >
    >1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode
    >
    >Then having reformatted my hard drive......
    >
    >Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    >install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where there
    >is an winXP set-up option.
    >

    >Your help, as always, will be much appreciated

    Most "Recovery disks" that come with new computers contain a
    compressed image of the installed Windows just as it was when it left
    the factory.

    Boot your computer with the first CD of the set and you should get an
    option to "recover" your Windows. Normally this will wipe out your
    hard drive completely, including all of your user data files and
    installed applications, and then replace it with a factory-fresh copy
    of Windows exactly as it was when you first unpacked the box.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Mar 20, 2005
  5. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the replies

    I understand the BIOS option so it looks like that is the way forward.

    The "recovery discs" are supplied by "Acer"

    Cheers

    anOLDun, Mar 21, 2005
  6. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Ron

    Yeah i thought that was what i had to do.....but it went straight to my
    desktop.i.e no boot.
    But it looks like i need tochange the boot option in the BIOS to read the CD
    first.

    Fingers crossed

    anOLDun, Mar 21, 2005
  7. anOLDun

    Anonymous Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > Hi Ron
    >
    > Yeah i thought that was what i had to do.....but it went straight to my
    > desktop.i.e no boot.
    > But it looks like i need tochange the boot option in the BIOS to read the CD
    > first.
    >
    > Fingers crossed

    > "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"anOLDun" <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>LO ALL
    >>>
    >>>O/s = WinXP
    >>>
    >>>PC came with WinXP already installed.
    >>>
    >>>Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to

    > re
    >
    >>>format my hard drive.
    >>>
    >>>Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.
    >>>
    >>>Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    >>>floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.
    >>>
    >>>Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight

    > into
    >
    >>>my desktop.
    >>>
    >>>So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    >>>went straight to my desktop.
    >>>
    >>>So ..... 1st question:-
    >>>
    >>>1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode
    >>>
    >>>Then having reformatted my hard drive......
    >>>
    >>>Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    >>>install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where

    > there
    >
    >>>is an winXP set-up option.
    >>>

    >>>Your help, as always, will be much appreciated
    >>>

    >>Most "Recovery disks" that come with new computers contain a
    >>compressed image of the installed Windows just as it was when it left
    >>the factory.
    >>
    >>Boot your computer with the first CD of the set and you should get an
    >>option to "recover" your Windows. Normally this will wipe out your
    >>hard drive completely, including all of your user data files and
    >>installed applications, and then replace it with a factory-fresh copy
    >>of Windows exactly as it was when you first unpacked the box.
    >>
    >>Good luck
    >>

    >>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >>--
    >>Microsoft MVP
    >>On-Line Help Computer Service
    >>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Your problem is that your computer is not set to boot from the CD. Try
    that and then use the boot CD that you made from the stuff you
    downlaoded from MS.
    Anonymous, Mar 21, 2005
  8. "anOLDun" <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote in message
    > LO ALL
    >
    > O/s = WinXP
    >
    > PC came with WinXP already installed.
    >
    > Having run my virus checkers and deleted most of the virus' i now want to

    re
    > format my hard drive.
    >
    > Seems WinXP does not come with a boot-up floppy disc option.
    >
    > Tried to Download this "boot-up" info from the Microsoft website but my
    > floopy disc's were the wrong type. So saved it to a CD instead.
    >
    > Re started the PC with the CD in the "draw" but it just went straight into
    > my desktop.
    >
    > So then i used disc 1 of the" recovery disc's" in the "draw" but PC again
    > went straight to my desktop.
    >
    > So ..... 1st question:-
    >
    > 1 .. How do I get PC to open in DOS mode
    >
    > Then having reformatted my hard drive......
    >
    > Question 2 ........will the "recovery disc's (there are two of them) re
    > install winXP??????? - i have browsed the cd's and i can't see where there
    > is an winXP set-up option.
    >

    > Your help, as always, will be much appreciated

    Try holding down the "C" key (for CDROM) while booting. Suppose to give you
    a boot option screen.

    Ricky

    RDO Computer Services, Mar 22, 2005
  9. anOLDun

    Keme Guest

    With Acer (the models I have used), press the F12 key during POST
    (before boot) to select startup device, or (as mentioned by several)
    change the BIOS boot disk settings.

    OP says the computer doesn't boot. Does he mean that it doesn't boot
    from CD (boots from hard disk?), or is there no boot process at all
    (recovering from suspend/hibernate?). If the latter is the case, be sure
    to turn the computer completely down. (Do not select "Suspend" in the
    shutdown menu.) If nothing else works, holding down the power button for
    5 sec should do the trick. That may harm the file system, but if you're
    going to reformat anyway, that's not a problem...
    Keme, Mar 28, 2005