    On start up it always opens the 'My documents'
    folder automatically. How to stop xp from doing this?
    It is also painfully slow to start up.

    JWilson, Nov 27, 2004

  2. JWilson

    Bok Guest

    JWilson wrote:
    > I'm looking at a friend's computer running xp.
    > On start up it always opens the 'My documents'
    > folder automatically. How to stop xp from doing this?

    Perhaps they have the shell 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'
    option enabled. To check/alter this from the menu of My documents (or
    any explorer window select: Tools->Folder Options, then select view tab
    and look under advanced settings.

    > It is also painfully slow to start up.

    If it's gradually got slower over time, the most common cause for this
    is one or more programs that are loaded at windows start or user login
    time. Is it slow to get to the login screen, or slow after login before
    the desktop can be used?

    Take a look at Icons in the system tray loaded after login and see if
    any of these aren't required. You can also use task manager to look for
    processes that are surplus to requirements. It would pay to scan for
    viruses and spyware etc. with your tools of choice.

    There are various tools around that allow you to examine or change
    startup programs for example take a look at x-setup: http://www.xteq.com/

    Bok, Nov 28, 2004

  3. JWilson

    JWilson Guest

    "Bok" <> wrote in message

    > Take a look at Icons in the system tray loaded after login and see if
    > any of these aren't required. You can also use task manager to look for
    > processes that are surplus to requirements. It would pay to scan for
    > viruses and spyware etc. with your tools of choice.

    Well, I looked a little closer at this machine and
    it is a mess. Missing files, some system tools not
    working etc. I advised him to find the xp disk and
    re-install.
    Thanks for your reply. I've saved it for when he comes
    back.
    John

    JWilson, Nov 28, 2004
  4. JWilson

    impossible Guest

    "JWilson" <> wrote in message

    > "Bok" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Take a look at Icons in the system tray loaded after login and see if
    >> any of these aren't required. You can also use task manager to look for
    >> processes that are surplus to requirements. It would pay to scan for
    >> viruses and spyware etc. with your tools of choice.

    > Well, I looked a little closer at this machine and
    > it is a mess. Missing files, some system tools not
    > working etc. I advised him to find the xp disk and
    > re-install.
    > Thanks for your reply. I've saved it for when he comes
    > back.

    Reinstalling makes sense in this case. But the advice to eliminate unneeded
    startup programs is also good, and so it's worth encouraging your friend to
    develop some basic manintenance habits. Many apps -- even thoose from
    perfectly reputable developers -- have a default set of installation options
    that can really clog a system up with background processes. If you really
    want/need these processes and you have the memory to accomodate them, fine,
    but often this is not the case. Periodicaly run "msconfig" and have a look
    at the "Startup" page (Mike Lin's free "Startup Contro, Panel" is another
    handy utility that will do the job). If something there doesn't look
    familiar, run the name through Google and try to identify it -- there are
    plenty of sites out there to help sort what's essential from what's not.
    Also, pay attention when installing any new software -- always choose the
    "custom" installation option when available and take the time to select only
    those "features" you really want.

    impossible, Nov 28, 2004