    WinXP SP3 which I thought provided for WPA connectivity. It recognizes my
    network but will not let me connect. Only security choices shown are Disabled
    and WEP. Am I missing something? TIA
    edcos, Nov 3, 2009

  2. edcos

    Pavel A. Guest

    "edcos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an existing wireless network that is WPA/WPA2. On my laptop, I have
    > WinXP SP3 which I thought provided for WPA connectivity. It recognizes my
    > network but will not let me connect. Only security choices shown are
    > Disabled
    > and WEP. Am I missing something? TIA

    This also depends on your wi-fi adapter - does it support WPA?
    Otherwise the WPA options won't be present in the GUI.

    --pa
    Pavel A., Nov 3, 2009

  3. Hi
    In personal Network the Wireless Security is decided by the setting of the
    Wireless Router.
    Make sure that yours is set to WPA, or even better WPA2.
    If the Wireless computer can not connect to WPA, or WPA2, then it is a
    problem in the computer's Wireless card.
    Either it is too old and have WEP only, or the Drivers need Update.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Nov 3, 2009
  4. edcos

    David B. Guest

    You might be missing a WPA compatible wireless card.

    David B., Nov 4, 2009