    see the laptop on the network. What should I check?

    Thanks for any help.
    /Magnus
    { M@N }, Sep 26, 2004

  2. I had same problems with wireless network, I just uninstalled sp2 and all is
    well again.....i turned off xp firewall and installed outpost....very good
    firewall and recognises wireless networks...this along with a updated
    antivirii prog should be all you need on xp sp1
    Mik

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlr?=, Sep 27, 2004

  3. { M@N }

    David Warren Guest

    I have personally had this problem with my Intel Pro 2100 3b wireless
    card and linksys router... network was working fine, and right after
    installing SP2, my wireless would not work any more. I have seen many
    other people in this group that have had similair problems. So far I
    have not seen any solutions yet except uninstall SP2 -- which I did
    and it started working again.

    If anyone found a solution yet.. please post!

    David

    David Warren, Sep 27, 2004
  4. { M@N }

    Pavel A. Guest

    First of all check where your laptop gets it's ip address from. Is it correct?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 28, 2004
  5. { M@N }

    Quaoar Guest

    David Warren wrote:
    > I have personally had this problem with my Intel Pro 2100 3b wireless
    > card and linksys router... network was working fine, and right after
    > installing SP2, my wireless would not work any more. I have seen many
    > other people in this group that have had similair problems. So far I
    > have not seen any solutions yet except uninstall SP2 -- which I did
    > and it started working again.
    >
    > If anyone found a solution yet.. please post!
    >
    > David
    >

    > "{ M@N }" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I just installed win xp sp2 on my laptop and now my wireless network
    >> stopped working. I cannot connect to my other computer in the
    >> network nor connect to the internet. Status of network connection to
    >> the laptop seems ok since all info I can see from my Netgear admin
    >> program indicates a good connection. I have also disabled the
    >> xp-firewall. I have no other firewall except in the router and no
    >> antivirussoftware. I have a standalone pc connected to the network
    >> (winxp sp1) and this one is working ok i.e. have access to the
    >> internet. The standalone pc cannot
    >> see the laptop on the network. What should I check?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >> /Magnus

    I've found this on two of five SP2 installs: TCP/IP filtering is locked
    down in the Permit Only state, essentially blocking any network
    activity. Open the failed connection, TCP/IP properties, General tab,
    Advanced Properties, Options tab, TCP/IP filtering properties, Enable
    filtering and change Permit Only to Permit All for all ports/protocols.
    I believe that this is due to a security center problem with non-sp2
    compatible firewalls or anti-virus and the "I'll manage the
    settings...".

    Quaoar, Sep 28, 2004
  6. I had the same problem and went to the Netgear site which suggested:
    1. Power down all computers and devices.
    2. Restart the Modem, router and computers, in that order.
    3. All was well immediately upon re-boot.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Sep 28, 2004
  7. I turned off the WZC service after a experiencing the same thing and now
    everything works fine. I think that service and my adapter's driver were both
    trying to set the configuration and gettinginto a pi**ing contest. I confess
    that I don't really know what the ramifications are of turning this service
    off.

    (FROM MSKB: Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) is the Windows service that
    automatically configures 802.11 wireless network devices.)

    Sigh. You'd think it would be programmed to recognize when another device
    was already handling that only offer (as an option) to take over if it had a
    better way of doing it. I'm using a MS wireless adapter for cryin' out loud.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGxheW15ajUw?=, Sep 28, 2004
  8. I had the same problem. After installing service pack 2 my netgear wireless
    network showed good signal but i couldnt get connection to the internet..
    There was a TCP/IP setting that was messed up. I downloaded a winsock.exe
    from the microsoft site installed it and all went boooom working all
    right..Maybe try it will work

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNTRSBndXk=?=, Sep 29, 2004
  9. Hi M@N,

    The most likely reason why you may be experiencing this issue is due to
    incompatibilities between the driver for your wireless adapter and SP2.
    Please let me
    know vendor and model your wireless adapter is from, as well as what driver
    version it is using. I can also make a more detailed diagnosis if you
    supply wireless logs. You can do this by:

    1.. Start -> Run -> CMD
    2.. type: netsh ras set tra * ena
    3.. Reboot your machine to clean state
    4.. Take note of the time and reproduce your wireless problem
    5.. Navigate to your %windir%\tracing directory
    6.. Send the following log files as attachments to
    :
    1.. wzctrace.log
    2.. eapol.log
    3.. rastls.log
    4.. wzcdlg.log
    5.. netman.log
    6.. netshell..log
    5. Plus any of the .old version of these files if they exist (e.g.
    wzctrace.old, eapol.old)

    Please include the specific time of your repro with your reply

    Peter Bui
    Microsoft Corporation

    Peter Bui[MS], Oct 4, 2004