WinXP SP2 and DEP (on A64 3400+) , Swap File Location

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jp10558, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. jp10558

    jp10558 Guest

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2005

  2. jp10558

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, in
    <1106764144.63052459255a7d210e56749d08f5ad3b@teranews>
    jp10558 scrawled:

    >Should I turn on DEP

    What you should do, IMO, is to turn off the stupid PGP
    messages in a simple text group like this.

    <snip garbage>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 26, 2005

  3. jp10558

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <>
    wrote:

    >Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
    >default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

    I would leave it as it is.

    >Also, is it worth while (performance wise) to have your swap
    >file on a different drive than the boot drive (incedentally, on
    >a different IDE Channel)?

    Yes, [technically] it will improve performance, whether you can tell
    is a matter of opinion :)

    Also I suggest that you don't sign message in the future when posting
    to this group as the majority of posters/readers do not sign and it
    can be annoying to none PGP users.

    Morgan Pugh, Jan 26, 2005
  4. jp10558

    jp10558 Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:17:05 GMT, Morgan Pugh wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
    >>default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

    > I would leave it as it is.
    >
    >>Also, is it worth while (performance wise) to have your swap
    >>file on a different drive than the boot drive (incedentally, on
    >>a different IDE Channel)?

    > Yes, [technically] it will improve performance, whether you can tell
    > is a matter of opinion :)
    >
    > Also I suggest that you don't sign message in the future when posting
    > to this group as the majority of posters/readers do not sign and it
    > can be annoying to none PGP users.

    I guess so. Sorry about that. I'll stop doing so.

    Anyone who doesn't care RE PGP/etc can stop reading here.

    My reasons for PGP signing my previous messages are twofold, one to
    establish a sort of psudoidentity. Anyone can be jp10558 on any usenet
    board. My e-mail address used here is disposable by nature (I got spam
    about 5 minutes after my first post, I have now turned that address off).
    So to give anyone who cares any sort of chain that holds jp10558's posts
    before and now come from the same person, I had to use something like PGP.
    On webforums that require logging in, I don't use pgp as there is an
    expectation that I will likely be the only one able to log in and post as
    that. Even there, if I did use PGP, it would allow those who care to verify
    that, yes jp10558 from 24hoursupport.helpdesk is the same jp10558 on
    http://my.opera.com/forums/ . That way, any good or bad reputation I may
    have is followable for people who might see my posts in more than one
    place. I think for web forums a good compromise might be to sign a message
    in my profile - something that doesn't exist on usenet.

    The second reason I was signing my messages was to increase awareness of
    PGP/GPG and possibly subtly encourage people to start using it for e-mail
    or their own authentication. The reasons for this desire have been
    expounded almost ad nauseam on PGP related discussion boards, my reasons
    are substantially similar.

    And look - no GPG signature this time - though I very well at this point be
    someone trolling and the real jp10558 will come back later PO'd.

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2005
  5. jp10558

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:09 -0500, jp10558 <>
    wrote:

    <snipped to save space>

    I understand exactly why you used PGP as I am a PGP user.

    It is always a good idea to check before posting using PGP though as
    this is a worldwide group.

    If you want to advertise PGP (which I think is a great idea) I suggest
    putting a link in your signature pointing to www.gnupg.org,
    www.pgp.com and www.openpgp.org with a catchy one liner to get people
    to have a look.

    Morgan Pugh, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Morgan Pugh, <>, wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
    >> default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

    > I would leave it as it is.

    Ok, but what a competent person who knew what they were doing suggest? The
    exact opposite, maybe? Hmmm?

    --
    G Morgan admits that he gets told he's a
    fuckwit, not just on usenet, but in in real

    Mogir the troublesome, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Morgan Pugh, <>, wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:09 -0500, jp10558 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snipped to save space>

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ whole post, which had a PGP signature.

    > I understand exactly why you used PGP as I am a PGP user.
    >
    > It is always a good idea to check before posting using PGP though as
    > this is a worldwide group.
    >
    > If you want to advertise PGP (which I think is a great idea) I suggest
    > putting a link in your signature pointing to www.gnupg.org,
    > www.pgp.com and www.openpgp.org with a catchy one liner to get people
    > to have a look.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! You fucking nong.

    Gonig the snotling-scratcher, Jan 28, 2005