WinXP shutting down?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
    which process asked it to do it?

    I've got a problem that I leave my machine running all the time. It's
    connected to the net, behind an ADSL router. The mainboard in it is
    new, and Asus A7N8X, and the Widows is a pretty fresh install
    (Sunday).

    For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
    not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
    was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
    i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
    clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

    I left Asus Prob running and logging tonight. At the time of shutdown,
    which appears to be 9:00pm, it was, and had been for ages, reading
    around this.
    CPU 36 deg, Board 30deg. Fans, CPU 3341rpm , Case 3154rpm.
    Voltages were all fine.

    It's never shut down while i've been using it, which has been some
    lengthly times, only when i'm away from it.

    Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
    free).

    Craig Shore, Jan 20, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...

    > Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
    > free).

    I would use a couple of different virus scanners, and a couple of
    different online port scanners. It's surprising how different the
    results can be. McAffee picks up stuff on my machine that Norton can't
    find ...

    If there is any vulnerability on your system, it could be the worm comes
    in while you're asleep, tries to reset the machine to do gods knows
    what, and, if you are lucky, gets knocked on the head by the av software
    in the process or on reboot.

    This is just one take on the situation. I've just had a w32 blaster come
    through into my system despite it having been scanned as totally
    stealthed by Symantec and Sygate portscans online. Go figure.

    Could be power oscillations, hardware problems other than mobo or
    temperature ... <sigh>

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    John Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:56 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
    >which process asked it to do it?

    Event Log...

    John, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Craig Shore

    SNOman Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
    > which process asked it to do it?
    >
    > I've got a problem that I leave my machine running all the time. It's
    > connected to the net, behind an ADSL router. The mainboard in it is
    > new, and Asus A7N8X, and the Widows is a pretty fresh install
    > (Sunday).
    >
    > For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
    > not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
    > was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
    > i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
    > clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.
    >
    > I left Asus Prob running and logging tonight. At the time of shutdown,
    > which appears to be 9:00pm, it was, and had been for ages, reading
    > around this.
    > CPU 36 deg, Board 30deg. Fans, CPU 3341rpm , Case 3154rpm.
    > Voltages were all fine.
    >
    > It's never shut down while i've been using it, which has been some
    > lengthly times, only when i'm away from it.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
    > free).

    Check in your BIOS. I know it's common to have an option for PC startup
    but is there a PC shutdown?.........Just a thought as I have not played
    with an A7N8X

    SNOman, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    Edmond Lo Guest

    Did you set your machine to do Hibernation?

    Edmond Lo, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
    > not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
    > was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
    > i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
    > clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

    I've seen this behaviour on a couple pf PCs recently...and so have others i
    have spoken to.

    Thge consensus so far is that there is something wrong with the incoming
    power supply. Voltage drops or some other interference.

    I went out yesterday and bought a UPS. I got tired of my PC re-booting
    itself 3-4 times / day.

    A mate of mine had the controller on his hard drive fried last week the same
    way. The disc recovery expert in Palmerston North who fixed it said he has
    been very busy the past week with lots of failures caused by non-specific
    (dunno!) power problems.

    steve, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:19:42 +1300, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >

    >> For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
    >> not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
    >> was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
    >> i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
    >> clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

    >I've seen this behaviour on a couple pf PCs recently...and so have others i
    >have spoken to.
    >
    >Thge consensus so far is that there is something wrong with the incoming
    >power supply. Voltage drops or some other interference.
    >
    >I went out yesterday and bought a UPS. I got tired of my PC re-booting
    >itself 3-4 times / day.
    >
    >A mate of mine had the controller on his hard drive fried last week the same
    >way. The disc recovery expert in Palmerston North who fixed it said he has
    >been very busy the past week with lots of failures caused by non-specific
    >(dunno!) power problems.

    Has it been alright since you started using the UPS? I'm suspect
    something is wrong with my new mainboard. I left it in POST last
    night and it still shut down.

    Craig Shore, Jan 21, 2004