WinXP random shutdown problem....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by P$YCH0 78, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. P$YCH0 78

    P$YCH0 78 Guest

    OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
    to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
    to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
    light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
    and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
    time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
    Thanks for any help!!!

    Computer:
    Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2

    Motherboard:
    CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
    Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
    System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)

    Display:
    Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
    Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
    3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

    P$YCH0 78, Dec 30, 2004

  2. P$YCH0 78

    Jasper Blom Guest

    maybe infected with a virus that shutdown your pc randomly?

    Jasper Blom, Dec 30, 2004

  3. P$YCH0 78

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:44:22 -0500, P$YCH0 78
    <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote:

    |> OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
    |> to shutdown for no aparent reason

    Right Click MyComputer
    Properties
    startup and Recovery
    UnCheck Automatically restart.

    Also run (WinKey) drwtsn32 and look at applications it should tell you
    what program is causing your problems.

    --

    , Dec 30, 2004
  4. P$YCH0 78

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:02:38 GMT, wrote:

    Woops, run (WinKey+R) drwtsn32

    --

    , Dec 30, 2004
  5. P$YCH0 78

    Guest

    Any updates on this one? I am very interested in this thread, as I'm
    trying to help a user on a forum who is having EXACTLY the same
    problem. It started for him after SP2 was installed. And it's
    happening on both computers on his network. I am still thinking it's a
    virus, but I don't know for sure. I had him run anti-virus (AVG) and
    blaster removal tool, but neither found anything. I don't think it's
    hardware, because it's too big of a coincidence to have two computers
    develop the same problem at the same time. And I suspect virus because
    it would've spread from one machine on the network to the other.
    Perhaps any followups to this discussion can shed some light on the
    issue for me.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    P$YCH0 78 wrote:
    > OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
    > to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
    > to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
    > light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
    > and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
    > time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
    > Thanks for any help!!!
    >
    > Computer:
    > Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
    > OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
    >
    > Motherboard:
    > CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
    > Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    > Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
    > System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)
    >
    > Display:
    > Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
    > Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
    > 3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

    , Jan 1, 2005
  6. P$YCH0 78

    Noel Paton Guest

    Such errors are often caused by problems with the RAM - download DocMemory2
    from www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
    and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
    See what it reports.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005
  7. P$YCH0 78

    gbarassi

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I Now The Reason

    Your problem is the tower, change the tower and it will work fine

    gbarassi, Jul 21, 2006