    Pro x64 as options.

    Comments please.

    Jerry

    Jerry, May 30, 2009

  2. Yes, it's true. You must do a _clean_ install, onto a partition that hasn't
    got another operating system on it. You can dual boot, but if you do, you
    need to install to a different partition from your existing OS. However, I
    suspect you'll need to address whatever caused the failure in Win7 RC, since
    IME the Win7 install has better driver support and a more robust install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009

  3. Jerry

    Carlos Guest

    Jerry,
    It seems that you are not alone in that boat:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/4cae5435-8cf3-48d1-b94c-58e25e2a82a0
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  4. Jerry

    R. C. White Guest

    HI, Jerry.

    > My question - is this really true?

    Yes - and no.

    Yes, it will reformat the one partition where you tell It to install the new
    OS. But it won't wipe out any other partitions, such as one where another
    Windows is already installed - or any data partition with no OS on it.

    Of course, the typical installation has the first OS in the first partition
    on the first HD. And all the data is typically in that one partition, too.
    Reformatting that partition is a disaster and means starting over from
    scratch. And that IS the situation for most users. ;>(

    Experienced dual-booters might dedicate that first partition of the first HD
    to serve ONLY as the System Partition, with nothing there but the startup
    files (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini for WinXP; bootmgr and the \Boot
    folder for Vista/Win7). They install each Windows installation, including
    the first one, into a different partition. And they store all their data
    (and many of their applications and utilities) on one or more other
    partitions that do not hold an OS. Then, when they get a new Windows, or
    want to update an existing one, they can wipe out that one partition,
    reformat it, and install the new OS there. (The new Windows Setup will
    update the startup files in the System Partition, in addition to installing
    the bulk of the new OS into the reformatted partition.) After reinstalling
    their apps, they can continue to access and use their files on the untouched
    data partition.

    I haven't tried a quad-processor rig, but my one computer has been running
    an AMD Athlon X2 x64 dual-processor for over 2 years without the kinds of
    problems mentioned in the link that Carlos posted. I've installed Vista x64
    and the Win7 x64 pre-beta, beta and RC; these Win7 installs have been the
    smoothest Windows installations in my experience. (My only experience with
    WinXP x64 was about 5 years ago on my first 64-bit mobo/CPU, an Athlon x64
    3200+. It was a hassle, but ALL of 64-bit Windows was a hassle in those
    days)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 31, 2009
  5. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Thanks for all the answers/comments.

    I'll forget the XP Pro x64 and slog on with Win7 64

    Jerry, May 31, 2009
  6. The most likely solution to the issue is a motherboard BIOS update.

    If there isn't one available, contact the board manufacturer to let them
    know there's a problem. They might send you a beta BIOS with the issue
    fixed.

    Dominic Payer, May 31, 2009
  7. Jerry

    Carlos Guest

    There are also reports in the Win 7 forums that a faulty memory stick caused
    this same error.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  8. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    No new BIOS - the board manufacturer has gone out of business.

    Jerry, May 31, 2009