    and clean install of the new OS?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    DL, Aug 5, 2005

  2. DL

    Bob C Guest

    > Hello.
    > Can WinXP Pro be loaded over the top of WinXP Home as an upgrade with no
    > risk of loss of existing data? Or should one expect to do a backup,
    > format, and clean install of the new OS?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dave

    Pro isn't designed to be an upgrade to Home, so it'll really mess up your
    system. Better to run the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard (or just back up
    all your data) then do a clean install on a freshly formatted drive.
    Bob C, Aug 5, 2005

  3. DL

    pcbutts1 Guest

    WHAT? who told you that?

    pcbutts1, Aug 5, 2005
  4. DL

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes it will upgrade it just fine. But always backup.

    pcbutts1, Aug 5, 2005
  5. DL

    Guest

    "DL" <> wrote:

    |>Hello.
    |>Can WinXP Pro be loaded over the top of WinXP Home as an upgrade with no
    |>risk of loss of existing data? Or should one expect to do a backup, format,
    |>and clean install of the new OS?

    Dual boot, you lose nothing and you can install apps over your old
    ones to use in each system. It's what I do XP home preinstalled, and
    XP pro what I use.

    I've got a 200GB hard drive, more storage space than I'll ever use. XP
    home is a backup system if I ever need a back door into XP Pro.
    --
    , Aug 5, 2005
  6. DL

    Tony Guest

    "DL" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > Can WinXP Pro be loaded over the top of WinXP Home as an upgrade with no
    > risk of loss of existing data? Or should one expect to do a backup,
    > format, and clean install of the new OS?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dave

    Yes it will install as an upgrade, I've done it but you may have to
    reinstall some drivers. I had to reinstall driver for sound card.
    Tony, Aug 5, 2005
  7. DL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Concur. I did that at work when I had to switch from a Novell only network,
    to having a MS server domain to log into. I had no problems whatsover.

    But, of course, I *did* backup first too! Isn't that the most important word
    in computerland?

    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005
  8. DL

    Plato Guest

    DL wrote:

    > Can WinXP Pro be loaded over the top of WinXP Home as an upgrade with no
    > risk of loss of existing data? Or should one expect to do a backup, format,
    > and clean install of the new OS?

    No such thing as NO RISK. One can lose all data in a second while
    installing a new OS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 8, 2005
  9. DL

    Joni Guest

    If your data is of value then it should be backed up anyway
    I've upgraded with XP Pro loads of times without any problems
    but there's always a chance of corruption during install.

    Joni, Aug 8, 2005
  10. DL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Exactly - just imagine a power outage half-way through the setup <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 9, 2005