    i connected to broadband last week. I've ran a
    virus check and found nothing

    Any ideas please.
    JIM, Feb 9, 2004

  2. JIM

    Harrison Guest

    Upgrading a problematic machine generally results in an upgraded
    problematic machine.
    The blue screens could easily be hardware related and such problems
    will carry over to the upgrade. To test your computer's hardware, I
    recommend getting a copy of Knoppix and running the machine on it. If
    your hardware runs Knoppix, it should run Windows. If not, then you
    have to find the problem.
    Knoppix is a self-contained, bootable version of Linux on a CD. The OS
    runs completely from the CD, so the only hardware taken out of the
    picture is the hard drive, and even then, Knoppix will allow you to
    access the drive for diagnostics and file recovery.

    Also, viruses, spyware, adware, and other software problems can play a
    role in a bad upgrade. You scanned for viruses, but was it with the
    latest virus definitions?

    At this point, the next logical step would be to back up your
    documents, if possible, and try a fresh install of XP.
    You can do this with an upgrade disk as long as you have the 98 CD
    handy.
    Post back if you don't know how to install XP from a bootable CD.

    Harrison, Feb 9, 2004

  3. JIM

    jim Guest

    Cheers Harry, ur very helpful