WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I've been using XP Pro for a while now (2yrs) but still don't understand
    their sharing permissions (appears like they tried to make it too user
    friendly & made it too complicated to find what you're looking for....like a
    company who tries to say they're improving the customer experience by giving
    you an IVR that doesn't provide what you need & wont let you to a live rep).

    How do I share folders & give password level access of read only with one
    password or full with another? I see a bunch of nonsense of allowing
    certain systems to have access & others not, or access based on domain
    (which is REALLY HORRIBLE in explaining itself). I saw something about
    letting you give access to certain rights but not others (read, create,
    modify, delete, move, those kind of things).

    Any good tips on sharing (over a network) with WinXP? Or even how to
    understand what they're talking about? Too many guides are just either
    advertisements that let you know it may be possible, or information that is
    only helpful to someone who already knows about it & therefore has no need
    to be reading it anyway.

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who don't.
    Daniel, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Rob K Guest

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:07:02 -0600, Daniel wrote:

    <snip>

    > I'm not sure what you're saying....

    You should be, you're being trolled.
    Hint: irrelevant cross-posting.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.
    Rob K, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Daniel

    owldo @ PAX Guest

    Sharing comes more into play when used on a Network. Over a LAN when using
    Active Directory with individual passwords. Administrators can grant sharing
    or security level access to Users, Groups, or Individuals, to files,
    folders, documents, apps, programs, even specific computers etc. For me
    Network Security Protocol is one of the hardest things to understand. If you
    are not exsposed to it constantly it's tough to learn. It is not something
    that is easily explained, and the home user really dosen't need all these
    features. There are a lot of aspects of XP Pro that are geared towards
    Networking, and all apps for it are exsposed to you wheather you need it or
    not.
    --
    owldo@(trash)hotmail.com
    Take out the trash to reply!

    owldo @ PAX, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "owldo @ PAX" <owldo@(trash)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sharing comes more into play when used on a Network. Over a LAN when using
    > Active Directory with individual passwords. Administrators can grant

    sharing
    > or security level access to Users, Groups, or Individuals, to files,
    > folders, documents, apps, programs, even specific computers etc. For me
    > Network Security Protocol is one of the hardest things to understand. If

    you
    > are not exsposed to it constantly it's tough to learn. It is not something
    > that is easily explained, and the home user really dosen't need all these
    > features. There are a lot of aspects of XP Pro that are geared towards
    > Networking, and all apps for it are exsposed to you wheather you need it

    or
    > not.
    > --

    Can you provide any more info about it (& I can try to understand & learn
    it) or at least some GOOD tutorials/documentation/instructions on it that
    isn't geared towards people who know enough to not need to read it anyways
    while at the same time does explain the information I'd like to learn? I do
    have a small LAN (currently with my multiple systems & my sister who lives
    here too & another friend of mine that has a system here, makes 5-6 systems,
    not all running XP though, but XP systems are Pro). I'd like to allow
    myself on my other systems to have access, & restrict access to certain
    folders to certain others & give types of permission to some & types to
    others...let one read & add, but let another only read, while another has
    full, and that's a per person/profile even if they have profiles on more
    than 1 system.

    Example:
    UserA has permission to read only from any system (though may only have
    access to system E).
    UserB has read & add permissions (on systems A, B, C, & D).
    UserC (systems A-E) has full access.
    All are residential profiles, not pulling them from a server (like a
    business), here the "server" is a cable modem router.
    Daniel, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Daniel

    owldo @ PAX Guest

    Here are some links that I found, be very careful when applying settings.
    Read all information thoroughly and make sure you understand it before you
    proceed! Good Luck!

    http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm1.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/...f File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP

    owldo @ PAX, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Daniel

    > Here are some links that I found, be very careful when applying settings.
    > Read all information thoroughly and make sure you understand it before you
    > proceed! Good Luck!
    >
    > http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm1.htm
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Des
    cription+of+File+Sharing+and+Permissions+in+Windows+XP+

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.m
    spx

    Thanks for the links....not had a chance to read them yet (may print them &
    take them to work Saturday, which I often have time to read this kind of
    stuff) but I'm sure it will be pretty helpful at least strongly assisting in
    what I need.
    Daniel, Mar 11, 2005