WinXP Pro - how long should it stay up before having to reboot?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    MSI KT4V mainboard
    Duron 1300
    512 MB RAM

    Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    - no games other than the default WinXP ones.

    Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5

    Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    recovered from a serious error".

    I would have expected better from XP..

    Interested in others experiences

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Rob Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > MSI KT4V mainboard
    > Duron 1300
    > 512 MB RAM
    >
    > Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    > LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    > - no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    >
    > Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    >
    > Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    > error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    > recovered from a serious error".
    >
    > I would have expected better from XP..
    >
    > Interested in others experiences
    >
    > jd

    Sounds like a hardware problem. Possibly overheating or a problem with the
    PSU. Check for dust/dirt in the computer and make sure the CPU heatsink fan
    is turning freely.
    You can use a DVM to check voltages directly or MBM to check them through
    software:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Rob, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Jimmy Dean

    EricP Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:27:16 GMT, "Rob" <> wrote:

    >"Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    >> MSI KT4V mainboard
    >> Duron 1300
    >> 512 MB RAM
    >>
    >> Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    >> LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    >> - no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    >>
    >> Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    >>
    >> Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    >> error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    >> recovered from a serious error".
    >>
    >> I would have expected better from XP..
    >>
    >> Interested in others experiences
    >>
    >> jd

    >Sounds like a hardware problem. Possibly overheating or a problem with the
    >PSU. Check for dust/dirt in the computer and make sure the CPU heatsink fan
    >is turning freely.
    >You can use a DVM to check voltages directly or MBM to check them through
    >software:
    >http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    My first thought was remove and reseat the memory?

    EricP, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Rob Guest

    "EricP" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:27:16 GMT, "Rob" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > >> MSI KT4V mainboard
    > >> Duron 1300
    > >> 512 MB RAM
    > >>
    > >> Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    > >> LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    > >> - no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    > >>
    > >> Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    > >>
    > >> Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    > >> error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    > >> recovered from a serious error".
    > >>
    > >> I would have expected better from XP..
    > >>
    > >> Interested in others experiences
    > >>
    > >> jd

    > >Sounds like a hardware problem. Possibly overheating or a problem with

    the
    > >PSU. Check for dust/dirt in the computer and make sure the CPU heatsink

    fan
    > >is turning freely.
    > >You can use a DVM to check voltages directly or MBM to check them through
    > >software:
    > >http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    > >

    > My first thought was remove and reseat the memory?

    Actually, that's a very good idea. It may also be a physical problem with
    memory, if that doesn't help, in which case this can test it in a DOS
    environment: http://www.memtest86.com/

    Rob, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Rob wrote:
    >>Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    >>error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    >>recovered from a serious error".
    >>I would have expected better from XP..

    > Sounds like a hardware problem. Possibly overheating or a problem with the
    > PSU. Check for dust/dirt in the computer and make sure the CPU heatsink fan
    > is turning freely.

    I'm wondering - doesn't ScanReg or RegScan, or whatever M$ calls it...
    Doesn't that run every time you boot.. and only hold the last 5 days'
    "good" registry settings?

    If so, shouldn't you reboot once every 4 days to be safe?

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > MSI KT4V mainboard
    > Duron 1300
    > 512 MB RAM
    >
    > Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    > LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    > - no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    >
    > Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    >
    > Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    > error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    > recovered from a serious error".
    >
    > I would have expected better from XP..
    >
    > Interested in others experiences
    >
    > jd

    I'd suggest dumping the Norton crap and installing AVG Anivirus and
    ZoneAlarm or another firewall of your choice. Before I dumped XP for
    Mandrake Linux I could regularly keep it up for two weeks without
    rebooting.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    >MSI KT4V mainboard
    >Duron 1300
    >512 MB RAM
    >
    >Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    >LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    >- no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    >
    >Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    >
    >Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    >error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    >recovered from a serious error".
    >
    >I would have expected better from XP..
    >
    >Interested in others experiences
    >
    >jd

    Should be good for much longer than that. I personally power off my
    system every night (power outages and surges are fairly common here,
    especially during the fall and winter months) but I know many others
    who leave there XP systems running for weeks and sometimes months at a
    time, rebooting only when required to do so by some special updates or
    new installs.

    Norton is always a prime suspect for any computer malfunction or
    misbehavior.

    When it does the "recovered from a serious error" bit have you ever
    investigated the nature and possible cause of these errors?
    Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through each of the 3
    subcategories for red-flagged error records.
    Double-click on an error record to see the details of that error.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ <> wrote:

    >I'm wondering - doesn't ScanReg or RegScan, or whatever M$ calls it...
    >Doesn't that run every time you boot.. and only hold the last 5 days'
    >"good" registry settings?
    >
    >If so, shouldn't you reboot once every 4 days to be safe?
    >
    >--

    That is true in Window 95/98/Me but not in Windows XP.
    There is no Scan Registry in XP and separate registry backups are not
    made. Registry data is included in the System Restore data.

    Ron Martell, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Jimmy Dean

    gangle Guest

    "Ron Martell" wrote
    > BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:
    >
    > >I'm wondering - doesn't ScanReg or RegScan, or whatever M$ calls it...
    > >Doesn't that run every time you boot.. and only hold the last 5 days'
    > >"good" registry settings?
    > >
    > >If so, shouldn't you reboot once every 4 days to be safe?

    > That is true in Window 95/98/Me but not in Windows XP.
    > There is no Scan Registry in XP and separate registry backups are not
    > made. Registry data is included in the System Restore data.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    r o n m a r t e l l

    n o R

    l l e t r a M

    M A R T E L L

    RonMartellRonMartellRonMartellRonMartellRonMartell
    RonMartellRonMartellRonMartellRonMartell
    RonMartellRonMartellRonMartell
    RonMartellRonMartell
    RonMartell

    &*&*& R &*&*& O &*&*& N &*&*&
    M+A+R+T+E+L+L

    RRROOONNN MMMMAAARRRTTTEEELLLLLL

    -----------------\ EBA ZNEGRYY

    [To be continued]

    gangle, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:50:31 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    wrote:

    >Jimmy Dean <> wrote:
    >
    >>MSI KT4V mainboard
    >>Duron 1300
    >>512 MB RAM
    >>
    >>Basically use this PC as gateway to Internet (DUN) for a small Win9x
    >>LAN and for long downloads - overnight etc. Minimal programs installed
    >>- no games other than the default WinXP ones.
    >>
    >>Use Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus and Winproxy 5
    >>
    >>Longest it has stayed up is 3 days - then there is always some sort of
    >>error, maybe a system freeze or spontaneous reboot then "Windows has
    >>recovered from a serious error".
    >>
    >>I would have expected better from XP..
    >>
    >>Interested in others experiences
    >>
    >>jd

    >Should be good for much longer than that. I personally power off my
    >system every night (power outages and surges are fairly common here,
    >especially during the fall and winter months) but I know many others
    >who leave there XP systems running for weeks and sometimes months at a
    >time, rebooting only when required to do so by some special updates or
    >new installs.
    >
    >Norton is always a prime suspect for any computer malfunction or
    >misbehavior.
    >
    >When it does the "recovered from a serious error" bit have you ever
    >investigated the nature and possible cause of these errors?
    >Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
    >Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through each of the 3
    >subcategories for red-flagged error records.
    >Double-click on an error record to see the details of that error.
    >
    >Good luck
    >

    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Yes I monitor Event Viewer closely, but when the PC has rebooted
    spontaneously (=> recovered from serious error), there is no red flag,
    just a typical event. This is a typical one:

    Source: Save Dump Event: 1001

    "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:
    0x0000000a (0xc8325538, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80592370). A dump
    was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101203-01.dmp."

    OTOH I get red flagged errors whenever a time server can't be
    contacted - as though that were particularly important <sigh>

    Your comment appreciated

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    >Yes I monitor Event Viewer closely, but when the PC has rebooted
    >spontaneously (=> recovered from serious error), there is no red flag,
    >just a typical event. This is a typical one:
    >
    >Source: Save Dump Event: 1001
    >
    >"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:
    >0x0000000a (0xc8325538, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80592370). A dump
    >was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101203-01.dmp."
    >
    >OTOH I get red flagged errors whenever a time server can't be
    >contacted - as though that were particularly important <sigh>
    >
    >Your comment appreciated

    For the above error see MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP errors page at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on the "0A: IRQL Not
    Less/Equal" item at the top of the left side column.

    Ron Martell, Oct 29, 2003