    I have simply had it with windows...
    any good tutorials on switching over?

    TIA

    Datajunky®, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Datajunky®

    Parko Guest

    Datajunky® wrote:
    > I have simply had it with windows...
    > any good tutorials on switching over?
    >
    > TIA

    Not quite overnight, less than 30 minutes to install 'modern' Linux
    distributions if you know what to do. Buy this: Linux in easy Steps by
    Mike McGrath. A step by step guide to MandrakeLinux 10: installation,
    configuration and use. If it makes sense then go here to grab a download
    version of the OS. Get 10 Official.
    http://www.ineasysteps.com/books/?1840782757
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
    http://www.google/linux
    Joining Mandrake Club acts like a subscription to extra goodies. Could
    you imagine M$ ever asking end users what software they wanted included
    in Winxp. The only time I use WinXP is when I *have* to use proprietary
    software specific to my job. Gruntmaster5000 is so slooooooow and locks
    up regularly when it has WinXP foisted on it. Poor thing.
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Parko wrote:
    > Datajunky® wrote:
    >> I have simply had it with windows... any good tutorials on switching
    >> over?

    >> TIA

    > Not quite overnight, less than 30 minutes to install 'modern' Linux
    > distributions if you know what to do. Buy this: Linux in easy Steps by
    > Mike McGrath. A step by step guide to MandrakeLinux 10: installation,
    > configuration and use. If it makes sense then go here to grab a
    > download version of the OS. Get 10 Official.
    > http://www.ineasysteps.com/books/?1840782757
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 http://www.google/linux
    > Joining Mandrake Club acts like a subscription to extra goodies. Could
    > you imagine M$ ever asking end users what software they wanted
    > included in Winxp. The only time I use WinXP is when I *have* to use
    > proprietary software specific to my job. Gruntmaster5000 is so
    > slooooooow and locks up regularly when it has WinXP foisted on it.
    > Poor thing.

    And following up those recommendations with subscribing to
    alt.os.linux.mandrake would be a good thing, as well.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Datajunky®

    Jamco Guest

    if your sick of windows, you'll hate linux even more.

    Jamco, Nov 16, 2004
  5. On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:26:10 GMT, "Datajunky®" <>

    Try http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/

    The Clued Weasel, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Datajunky®

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Datajunky®" <> wrote in message
    >I have simply had it with windows...
    > any good tutorials on switching over?
    >
    > TIA

    If you can't use XP, you'll never be able to use Linux, and aren't likely to
    get it installed.

    ImhoTech, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Datajunky®

    DC Guest

    Jamco wrote:
    > if your sick of windows, you'll hate linux even more.

    It's "you're".

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    -- Neil Peart

    DC, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Datajunky®

    DC Guest

    ImhoTech wrote:
    > "Datajunky®" <> wrote in message
    >>I have simply had it with windows...
    >> any good tutorials on switching over?

    > If you can't use XP, you'll never be able to use Linux, and aren't likely to
    > get it installed.

    He didn't say that he *couldn't use it*, he said that he was *sick of
    it*. Your inability to read is most likely the reason that *you* might
    have had trouble with linux (assume that you have even tried it at all).

    Depending on the distro, installing linux can be, IME, a hell of a lot
    easier than installing Windows, not to mention about 1-1.5 hours faster
    for a full Mandrake-Linux install, secure pretty much right out of the
    box, with literally *hundreds* of programs ready to go. On average,
    the whole linux install process takes all of 35 minutes on my P4 1.5GHz
    (including updates).

    My last clean installation of Windows XP took almost an hour. Then, I
    waited 40 more minutes for SP2 to install from the CD. Follow this up
    by another 15 minutes of Windows Update chugging along to top up the
    updates *since* SP2.

    Then, I needed to spend an additional 10-15 minutes finding and
    uninstalling all the Windows components that I explicitly told it *not
    to install* in the bloody first place. I followed this by another 15-20
    minutes sifting through Black Viper's site to shutdown about 25
    unneeded services and turning off all manner of Redmond fluff and
    eye-candy to bring my system to some kind of usable level of
    performance.

    Well, wasn't that fun.

    So, where's all the software? What do you mean, there's no software? I
    paid $150+tax for XP and there's no software?

    So...

    + 1hr for Office 2000 (w/updates) -- not to mention +$350
    + firewall software
    + anti-virus software
    + anti-spyware software
    + having to whip out a half dozen peripheral driver CDs just to get my
    supposedly "Microsoft Windows compatible" hardware to work properly...

    Wash, rinse, repeat.

    I'll tell you what: it made me pretty fucking sick, too. This fucking
    circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.

    Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

    DC, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Datajunky®

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 17 Nov 2004 00:28:36 GMT, DC <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    <snip usual XP install procedure>
    >Wash, rinse, repeat.
    >
    >I'll tell you what: it made me pretty fucking sick, too. This fucking
    >circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.
    >
    >Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

    But.. but... the Total Cost Of Ownership(Trademark Registered) is so much lower!
    After all, your weekend time is worthles..., *ahem*, free!

    Shel-hed, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Datajunky®

    DC Guest

    Shel-hed wrote:
    > On 17 Nov 2004 00:28:36 GMT, DC <> wrote in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    ><snip usual XP install procedure>
    >>Wash, rinse, repeat.

    >>I'll tell you what: it made me pretty fucking sick, too. This fucking
    >>circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.

    >>Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

    > But.. but... the Total Cost Of Ownership(Trademark Registered) is so much lower!
    > After all, your weekend time is worthles..., *ahem*, free!

    TCO[1]... right. The real kicker is that you _own_ SFA.

    But, that's *okay*. }:O)

    [1] The TC0 study MS doesn't want you to see:
    http://downloads.securityfocus.com/library/tc0.pdf

    DC, Nov 17, 2004