    The swap file is less that 200 meg so its not that taking all the space.
    Cheers

    Ps would would xphome use less

    Ockerr, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Ockerr

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ockerr" <> wrote in message
    news:ea9phs$f9n$...
    >I have Just Installed winxp Pro and I notice it takes up just over 1.5 Gig
    >of space on the Hard Drive. It dosnt seem right to me, Should it Take that
    >much?
    > If it needs that, is there any Files that Can be Deleted, I have Just done
    > a normal Intallation. But I need it to be used in a Home Network
    > situation, The swap file is less that 200 meg so its not that taking all
    > the space.
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ps would would xphome use less

    Mines currently 3.42GB (about 4 months old.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Ockerr wrote:
    > I have Just Installed winxp Pro and I notice it takes up just over
    > 1.5 Gig of space on the Hard Drive. It dosnt seem right to me, Should
    > it Take that much?
    > If it needs that, is there any Files that Can be Deleted, I have Just
    > done a normal Intallation. But I need it to be used in a Home Network
    > situation, The swap file is less that 200 meg so its not that taking
    > all the space. Cheers
    >
    > Ps would would xphome use less

    I'm not sure about the difference between XP Pro or Home. I would expect
    Pro to be a teensy bit larger but nothing of concern. But then again I'm
    not sure I use XP home.

    1.5 GB seems about right. There are a few xtras you can remove if you wish.

    Go to this address it will show you exactly how to remove unessesary windows
    components.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307894

    You might need your Win XP disk to finalize the removal of a component.
    Just have it handy in case you do.

    If disk space is your concern, I would look into getting a larger hard drive
    and/or a second hard drive and/or an external hard drive or NAS (Network
    Attached Storage). It's a good idea to get one of these anyway. I use an
    external drive to image my entire C: drive. This way if something goes
    wrong I can simply swap the drives. (That;s the plan anyway. I never
    actually tried this yet. I have time this weekend so I'm gonna give it a
    shot to see if I can do it right) :)

    If you get a NAS you will have a storage area for your entire home network.
    A NAS shows up on the network as a seperate device and it can be accessed
    from any of your Computers on the network. (unless you block one from using
    it by setting up passwords) They Rang in size from 200GB? (just a guess) and
    I've seen some descently priced ones as high as 500GB. A popular one is
    the Maxtor One Touch III USB 2.0. Take a look here.

    http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/OTIII_USB/

    Good luck.

    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Ockerr

    Ardent Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:22:22 +1200, "Ockerr" <> wrote:

    >I have Just Installed winxp Pro and I notice it takes up just over 1.5 Gig
    >of space on the Hard Drive. It dosnt seem right to me, Should it Take that
    >much?

    Yes, that is quite normal. Unlike the earlier Windows, XP does not
    give you a choice and installs everything that comes on the CD.

    Win98SE takes about 350mb on installation, depending upon the choice
    you made for the various elements. So XP always surprises when someone
    installs it for the first time.

    HTH

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only

    Ardent, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Ockerr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ardent wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:22:22 +1200, "Ockerr" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have Just Installed winxp Pro and I notice it takes up just over
    >> 1.5 Gig of space on the Hard Drive. It dosnt seem right to me,
    >> Should it Take that much?

    > Yes, that is quite normal. Unlike the earlier Windows, XP does not
    > give you a choice and installs everything that comes on the CD.

    Umm, no, actually it doesn't.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 30, 2006