WinXP not recognising Pentax Optio 33L

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I've just bought a Pentax Option 33L and Windows XP Home. I did the XP
    upgrade first, so it is a fresh installation.

    I then started using my camera. I took some photos, plugged in the USB
    cable, and turned the camera on, all as per the manual, and...
    nothing.

    I've tried setting the "Device Detector" software to load on startup,
    going to ACDSee directly and looking for a way to connect, rebooting
    with the camera on and plugged in, going to the Add New Hardware
    wizard, reinstalling drivers from the CD, and reinstalling with
    drivers from http://www.pentax.com/digitalupdate/. I've also found a
    couple of services set to manual, which I've started ("Removable
    Storage" and "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"). Nothing seems to
    work.

    Does anyone have any more ideas I could try? Is this a common problem
    with XP?

    Many thanks in advance...

    Rick, Oct 19, 2003

  2. "Rick"

    You could try plugging it in and going to "My Pictues" and see if "Get
    pictures from a scanner or camera" appears in the left hand top menu? When
    XP fails to detect my 10D it usually stills appears there.

    HanK

    Mistar Urdd \(hank\), Oct 19, 2003

  3. Rick

    CSM1 Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a Pentax Option 33L and Windows XP Home. I did the XP
    > upgrade first, so it is a fresh installation.
    >
    > I then started using my camera. I took some photos, plugged in the USB
    > cable, and turned the camera on, all as per the manual, and...
    > nothing.
    >
    > I've tried setting the "Device Detector" software to load on startup,
    > going to ACDSee directly and looking for a way to connect, rebooting
    > with the camera on and plugged in, going to the Add New Hardware
    > wizard, reinstalling drivers from the CD, and reinstalling with
    > drivers from http://www.pentax.com/digitalupdate/. I've also found a
    > couple of services set to manual, which I've started ("Removable
    > Storage" and "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"). Nothing seems to
    > work.
    >
    > Does anyone have any more ideas I could try? Is this a common problem
    > with XP?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance...

    Start>Run Type msconfig<Enter>
    On Startup tab make sure stimon.exe is running. It is listed as
    StillImageMonitor.

    Also in Msconfig on the General tab check mark Normal Startup to make sure
    all drivers and services are running. OK. Reboot.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. In fact I've just solved this one by
    trying the camera on another computer and comparing settings. There
    was a service not running in Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
    Services. I'm not sure which one it was yet, but unless I post again
    assume it was the "Logical Disk Manager" - its description makes it a
    likely candidate.

    Rick, Oct 20, 2003