    constantly, but windows does not load. We tried dropping it gently
    on the floor, but no joy.

    Any suggestions as to what need repairing/replacing?

    Gerry Atrick, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Gerry Atrick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Gerry Atrick spewed forth:
    > My wife's computer will not boot. The power supply makes the right
    > noise, but nothing else happens. The drive light stays on
    > constantly, but windows does not load. We tried dropping it gently
    > on the floor, but no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what need repairing/replacing?

    If you have an XP setup CD, you can boot from that, run the Recovery
    Console, and then type chkdsk /f at the C: prompt. If that doesn't work, run
    the System File Checker - sfc /scannow - and see if that helps.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:48:40 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Gerry Atrick spewed forth:
    >> My wife's computer will not boot. The power supply makes the right
    >> noise, but nothing else happens. The drive light stays on
    >> constantly, but windows does not load. We tried dropping it gently
    >> on the floor, but no joy.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to what need repairing/replacing?

    >If you have an XP setup CD, you can boot from that, run the Recovery
    >Console, and then type chkdsk /f at the C: prompt. If that doesn't work, run
    >the System File Checker - sfc /scannow - and see if that helps.

    Tim:

    Thought of that but the machine does not even get to the POST screen.
    And I thought that therre was not too much use trying it.

    Gerry Atrick, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Gerry Atrick

    Billh Guest

    Gerry Atrick wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:48:40 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Gerry Atrick spewed forth:
    >>> My wife's computer will not boot. The power supply makes the right
    >>> noise, but nothing else happens. The drive light stays on
    >>> constantly, but windows does not load. We tried dropping it gently
    >>> on the floor, but no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions as to what need repairing/replacing?

    >> If you have an XP setup CD, you can boot from that, run the Recovery
    >> Console, and then type chkdsk /f at the C: prompt. If that doesn't work, run
    >> the System File Checker - sfc /scannow - and see if that helps.

    > Tim:
    >
    > Thought of that but the machine does not even get to the POST screen.
    > And I thought that therre was not too much use trying it.

    Start by unplugging anything that is plugged in to the computer.
    Printers usb stuff and so on. Just keyboard mouse and monitor. If it
    still does not boot take off the mouse and then try it with only video.
    Then even with out video and maybe you will hear a beat.

    Then go in to the case and pull the memory and reseat it and see if that
    helps. At this point I would have the video keyboard and mouse plugged
    in. While in there make sure all cables and power plugs are firmly in.
    Also if you have any pci cards make sure they are well seated.

    Billh, Feb 20, 2006
  5. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:54:46 -0500, Billh <> wrote:

    >Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:48:40 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Gerry Atrick spewed forth:

    >>> If you have an XP setup CD, you can boot from that, run the Recovery
    >>> Console, and then type chkdsk /f at the C: prompt. If that doesn't work, run
    >>> the System File Checker - sfc /scannow - and see if that helps.

    >> Tim:
    >>
    >> Thought of that but the machine does not even get to the POST screen.
    >> And I thought that therre was not too much use trying it.

    >Start by unplugging anything that is plugged in to the computer.
    >Printers usb stuff and so on. Just keyboard mouse and monitor. If it
    >still does not boot take off the mouse and then try it with only video.
    > Then even with out video and maybe you will hear a beat.
    >
    >Then go in to the case and pull the memory and reseat it and see if that
    >helps. At this point I would have the video keyboard and mouse plugged
    >in. While in there make sure all cables and power plugs are firmly in.
    >Also if you have any pci cards make sure they are well seated.

    Thanks, billH - will give it ahirl on the morrow.

    Gerry Atrick, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Gerry Atrick

    Billh Guest

    Gerry Atrick wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:54:46 -0500, Billh <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gerry Atrick wrote:

    >>> Tim:
    >>>
    >>> Thought of that but the machine does not even get to the POST screen.
    >>> And I thought that therre was not too much use trying it.

    >> Start by unplugging anything that is plugged in to the computer.
    >> Printers usb stuff and so on. Just keyboard mouse and monitor. If it
    >> still does not boot take off the mouse and then try it with only video.
    >> Then even with out video and maybe you will hear a beat.
    >>
    >> Then go in to the case and pull the memory and reseat it and see if that
    >> helps. At this point I would have the video keyboard and mouse plugged
    >> in. While in there make sure all cables and power plugs are firmly in.
    >> Also if you have any pci cards make sure they are well seated.

    > Thanks, billH - will give it ahirl on the morrow.

    Hope it helps. A computer here started rebooting randomly. I was
    thinking maybe the power supply was going. Opened the case to look at
    the supply to make sure I got the right one and to blow the dust out.
    Come to find out the video card had worked its way a little out of the
    slot. Pushed it in and no reboots.

    Billh, Feb 20, 2006
  7. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:54:46 -0500, Billh <> wrote:

    >Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:48:40 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Gerry Atrick spewed forth:

    >>> If you have an XP setup CD, you can boot from that, run the Recovery
    >>> Console, and then type chkdsk /f at the C: prompt. If that doesn't work, run
    >>> the System File Checker - sfc /scannow - and see if that helps.

    >> Tim:
    >>
    >> Thought of that but the machine does not even get to the POST screen.
    >> And I thought that therre was not too much use trying it.

    >Start by unplugging anything that is plugged in to the computer.
    >Printers usb stuff and so on. Just keyboard mouse and monitor. If it
    >still does not boot take off the mouse and then try it with only video.
    > Then even with out video and maybe you will hear a beat.
    >
    >Then go in to the case and pull the memory and reseat it and see if that
    >helps. At this point I would have the video keyboard and mouse plugged
    >in. While in there make sure all cables and power plugs are firmly in.
    >Also if you have any pci cards make sure they are well seated.

    Billh - tried all your suggestions - nothing seemd to work. Drove to
    my fav computer shop - when they started it booted well. Must have
    been a loose connection that I missed. Thanks for your trouble.

    Gerry Atrick, Feb 20, 2006
  8. Gerry Atrick

    JoeA Guest

    "Drove to my fav computer shop - when they started it booted well.
    Must have
    been a loose connection that I missed. Thanks for your trouble."

    This is not too uncommon. You still had to pay for a service call? Next
    time just put it in the car and drive in a big circle on a bumpy road.
    then back home. :)

    JoeA, Feb 25, 2006
  9. Gerry Atrick

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:14:31 -0500, JoeA wrote:

    > "Drove to my fav computer shop - when they started it booted well.
    > Must have
    > been a loose connection that I missed. Thanks for your trouble."
    >
    > This is not too uncommon. You still had to pay for a service call? Next
    > time just put it in the car and drive in a big circle on a bumpy road.
    > then back home. :)

    Or just give it a good whack.

    Meat Plow, Feb 25, 2006