    wireless network card and i've got all the right protocols and yet it won't
    see the other computer. But again if I connect the cable to the laptop is
    works just fine.
    Adrian, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Adrian

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in news:HQlOc.119617$Rf.101061@edtnps84:

    > Scenario:
    >
    > 2 Computers connected to a wireless router one by ehternet cable other
    > (laptop) by built in wireless card. Laptop is a Toshiba P20 a brand
    > new machine, running WinXP Media Edition, PC is a standard dell
    > machine P4 Etc, running WinXP Pro.
    >
    > The Problem:
    >
    > The laptop can get online, but it can't see a shared folder on the PC.
    > I've installed client, ipx, tcpip. The workgroup names are the same
    > and if I plug the network cable into the laptop it sees the other
    > computer just fine, almost instantly. There was a bridge installed for
    > the relatek network card and the built in wireless network card. I
    > disabled everything except for the wireless network card and i've got
    > all the right protocols and yet it won't see the other computer. But
    > again if I connect the cable to the laptop is works just fine.

    That's the protocol I used to resolve the wired and wireless issues with
    Win 2K and XP pro machines when they couldn't share resources on the
    network.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Adrian

    joevan Guest

    Re: WinXP Networking: Ping:Duane

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:01:25 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >"Adrian" <> wrote in news:HQlOc.119617$Rf.101061@edtnps84:
    >
    >> Scenario:
    >>
    >> 2 Computers connected to a wireless router one by ehternet cable other
    >> (laptop) by built in wireless card. Laptop is a Toshiba P20 a brand
    >> new machine, running WinXP Media Edition, PC is a standard dell
    >> machine P4 Etc, running WinXP Pro.
    >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm
    >
    >Duane :)

    What are the protocols needed to network my two, xp machines. All
    cards etc are intact I just would like to know what I can delete from
    the mess that the wizzard has made of my setup.
    Is there a page that has a step by for such. I had a page for
    something like that before but have since lost track of it.
    TIA for any assistance.
    joevan
    joevan, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Adrian

    joevan Guest

    Re: WinXP Networking: Ping:Duane

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:05:33 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >>Duane :)

    >What are the protocols needed to network my two, xp machines. All
    >cards etc are intact I just would like to know what I can delete from
    >the mess that the wizzard has made of my setup.
    >Is there a page that has a step by for such. I had a page for
    >something like that before but have since lost track of it.
    >TIA for any assistance.
    >joevan

    I get a message when connecting to the internet:
    Protocol not connecting
    TCP/IP connected OK.
    IPX/SPX or compatable CP reported error 733.
    No connection to remote computer.
    joevan
    joevan, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Adrian

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: WinXP Networking: Ping:Duane

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:01:25 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Adrian" <> wrote in news:HQlOc.119617$Rf.101061@edtnps84:
    >>
    >>> Scenario:
    >>>
    >>> 2 Computers connected to a wireless router one by ehternet cable

    other
    >>> (laptop) by built in wireless card. Laptop is a Toshiba P20 a brand
    >>> new machine, running WinXP Media Edition, PC is a standard dell
    >>> machine P4 Etc, running WinXP Pro.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm

    >>Duane :)

    > What are the protocols needed to network my two, xp machines. All
    > cards etc are intact I just would like to know what I can delete from
    > the mess that the wizzard has made of my setup.
    > Is there a page that has a step by for such. I had a page for
    > something like that before but have since lost track of it.
    > TIA for any assistance.
    > joevan

    All it took was one time in using the Wizard to realize that it's a piece
    of junk. So, I never use the Wiz to do anything networking wise. I always
    use the classic approach of doing it myself.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    If you have that Bridge icon with the icon for the NIC in the LAN screen,
    the delete the bridge.

    The basics are the following:

    1 Client for MS Networks
    2 F & P Sharing for MS Networks
    3 TCP/IP

    I also so have QOS Packet Scheduler, which was already there on the XP

    One either uses NetBeui or NWlink IPX/SPX NetBios compatatible, which
    NWlink installs one other protocol when used.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Adrian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: WinXP Networking: Ping:Duane

    "joevan" <> wrote in message

    >| >What are the protocols needed to network my two, xp machines. All
    >| >cards etc are intact I just would like to know what I can delete
    >| >from the mess that the wizzard has made of my setup.
    >| >Is there a page that has a step by for such. I had a page for
    >| >something like that before but have since lost track of it.
    >| >TIA for any assistance.
    >| >joevan
    >|
    >| I get a message when connecting to the internet:
    >| Protocol not connecting
    >| TCP/IP connected OK.
    >| IPX/SPX or compatable CP reported error 733.
    >| No connection to remote computer.
    >| joevan

    You don't need IPX/SPX for Internet - see if you can delete that. I doubt
    you even are using it to make the two computers talk to each other. I use it
    at work on our Novell network, but I've not seen it used on home networks.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Adrian

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: WinXP Networking: Ping:Duane

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "joevan" <> wrote in message

    >>| I get a message when connecting to the internet:
    >>| Protocol not connecting
    >>| TCP/IP connected OK.
    >>| IPX/SPX or compatable CP reported error 733.
    >>| No connection to remote computer.
    >>| joevan

    > You don't need IPX/SPX for Internet - see if you can delete that. I
    > doubt you even are using it to make the two computers talk to each
    > other. I use it at work on our Novell network, but I've not seen it
    > used on home networks.

    I didn't know this was a big deal. I have been using NWlink ever since I
    encountered the problem with using NetBeui and WEP on my Linksys BEFW11S4
    v1 router and wired and wireless NT based machines couldn't share
    resources on the LAN, because NetBeui is not a routable protocol as I
    understood the issue. That was back in 2001 and I have not looked back.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en
    -us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
    us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Adrian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > "joevan" <> wrote in message
    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| > You don't need IPX/SPX for Internet - see if you can delete that. I
    >| > doubt you even are using it to make the two computers talk to each
    >| > other. I use it at work on our Novell network, but I've not seen it
    >| > used on home networks.
    >| >

    >| I didn't know this was a big deal. I have been using NWlink ever
    >| since I encountered the problem with using NetBeui and WEP on my
    >| Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router and wired and wireless NT based machines
    >| couldn't share resources on the LAN, because NetBeui is not a
    >| routable protocol as I understood the issue. That was back in 2001
    >| and I have not looked back.
    >|
    >| http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en
    >| -us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
    >| us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp
    >|
    >| Duane :)

    That is true, but I've seldom seen it done unless there is hardware that
    isn't TCP/IP capable. In your case, I'd guess that when you didn't get the
    TCP/IP and/or NetBeui working, the NWLink was a good replacement. I always
    try to simplify things - no extra protocols or connections. I even remove
    Windows Client for W9X systems that are on broadband but not networked.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2004